New to the forum, not to Scouting

I've been a scout volunteer for 37 years. I am a scoutmaster, and have served at the district, council, and Regional level. I joined the forum because I'm always trying to improve my troop.

We just picked up a folding troop and have ten new Scouts that are older. They are Star and Life.

I now am top heavy. I have too many older scouts, and only a few younger ones. In the past older scouts taught the younger ones. Now I don't have enough for the older scouts to do.

I need ideas, and want to use the forum to get some.

How do I do this?

• Upvote 1

Pick one or two to be POR Instructors and set up the older boys to just have fun.  They don't always have to be teaching someone, they can kinda do things on their own and keep their interest in the program.  Too many older boys are quitting because it's boring teaching the newbies for the umteenth time and not doing anything that would be interesting for them.  If the program was working, the yonger boys would be beating down the doors.  Time to work on having fun so it attracts and holds the younger boys who anticipate getting to that stage of their scouting career.

My older boys have always liked planning something big on their own. That could mean challenging backpacking trips. Starting a venturing crew (with some ASM foolish enough to be their advisor). Helping rangers at camps on free weekends.

Thanks for all our service to the boys. All thee best with this new challenge.