An article and paper about parenting and the overreach of DCFS in my home state, https://www.illinoispolicy.org/4-reforms-to-prevent-abuse-of-discretion-in-child-welfare-system/

From the paper:

Although lack of quality child care in the United States is one factor influencing inadequate supervision findings, there has also been a dramatic cultural shift in the perception of self-care in the United States. In recent years, parental philosophies, particularly among middle- and upper-class individuals, have shifted from teaching children independence and self-reliance to providing constant adult supervision. This is what some call "helicopter parenting." Contrary to popular belief, this shift in perception does not correlate with an increased risk of harm to children in our country, nor has there been new research in child development supporting the concept. In fact, crime rates have dropped substantially in the past several decades27 and child development research now supports the promotion of self-sufficiency and responsibility in children. Helicopter parenting – specifically, never leaving children alone or in the care of siblings – is a very new strategy in childrearing. It lacks basis in any evidence and creates a social pressure in certain socioeconomic and cultural groups, generally middle and upper middle class families, who feel that they should have the time and resources to provide constant supervision for their children.

Yeah, yeah, I know we've hashed this through before but I'm posting again because the linked paper also includes this (which I was unaware of):

Fourteen is the oldest age at which a child can be found neglected under to the Juvenile Court Act due to being without supervision

That suggests in Illinois anyway, an unsupervised 13 year old could result in neglect charges being brought against the parents. In one of the neglect cases the authors cited the youth were 11 years old. So a 13 year old Patrol Leader leading a group of 11 year olds on an independent hike? Please, at least not in Illinois.

Edited by walk in the woods

Anything out of context is bad. There is no suggestion that neglect would be defined by the organizing boys into gangs of 6 to 8 for the purposes of attending to each others' well-being for day (or two), while they perform a well-planned patrol.

I won't defend DCFS, although to be fair if you've ever known anyone who actually works in that system you learn quickly how badly we starve the system of anywhere near adequate resources for the job we ask  them to do.  But the fragment of a sentence you quote doesn't support the idea that there is some jeopardy in scouting.

Sec. 2-3. Neglected or abused minor. 
    (1) Those who are neglected include:...(d) any minor under the age of 14 years whose parent

or other person responsible for the minor's welfare leaves the minor without supervision for an unreasonable period of time without regard for the mental or physical health, safety, or welfare of that minor;...

DCFS are a type of law enforcement officers, and like any law enforcement the possibility for overreach, bad judgment, and simply bad acting is always present.  It is also true that immediate supervisors and even the initial court systems will tend towards upholding rather than challenging that initial action.

That doesn't mean we need to go off the rails with worry.