Let's Talk Latrines. Best, Worse, Favorite?

One of mine worst experience, was in a out house in Ontario.  I had been out for a week with the scouts, wilderness camping / canoeing in Lake Superior Provincial Park.  In the wilderness sites in the park, they have a 'boom boxes' to sit on.  It is out in the open woods, but it is nice to have a toilet seat to sit on.  You have to try to keep the bugs off your butt, and if it is raining, you can pull your rain pants over your regular pants and underwear, to try to keep them dry. 

After a week of wilderness camping, we stopped at a tourist site in the park - the Indian Pictographs.  It was raining, and I had to use the toilet, and there was an out house.  Unfortunately for me, the roof leaked, and all the rain was funnel right into my lap.   It would had been a lot better, and a lot drier, to just be out in the open.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those "boom boxes" sound alot like the "pilot & bombardier" facilities at Philmont.

Sorry, I live LNT but there are ways to do you duty and make sure it does not harm the environment. I draw the line at packing out my duty. A good cat hole and biodegradable paper will do the trick.

No problem, I thought maybe you thought using wax paper was a poor idea.  

One of mine worst experience, was in a out house in Ontario.  I had been out for a week with the scouts, wilderness camping / canoeing in Lake Superior Provincial Park.  In the wilderness sites in the park, they have a 'boom boxes' to sit on.  It is out in the open woods, but it is nice to have a toilet seat to sit on.  You have to try to keep the bugs off your butt, and if it is raining, you can pull your rain pants over your regular pants and underwear, to try to keep them dry. 

After a week of wilderness camping, we stopped at a tourist site in the park - the Indian Pictographs.  It was raining, and I had to use the toilet, and there was an out house.  Unfortunately for me, the roof leaked, and all the rain was funnel right into my lap.   It would had been a lot better, and a lot drier, to just be out in the open.

Those "boom boxes" sound alot like the "pilot & bombardier" facilities at Philmont.

• Upvote 2

As a Venture Scout I did regular winter mountaineering trips to Scotland.

When camping above the snow line there were no latrines. You used a sandwich bag and back to base with you it went.

High fibre diets seems strangely out of favour on those trips!

Well it doesnt have to be just an ordinary plastic bag. They have these bags called "double doodie" LINK  and "wag bags" LINK which have this gell in them that converts wastes to solids and cuts down on odor so all you need is a bucket. Hope to never have to use them.

• Upvote 1

One of my other volunteer jobs is helping maintain/repair/build lean-tos and outhouses/thunderboxes.

The nastiest had to be after we dug a new hole for the outhouse. Usually we just tip the old one over and carry it to the new location. This nasty one required us to lift it about a foot first to avoid the seat decapitating the "cone of death".

• Upvote 1

Well it doesnt have to be just an ordinary plastic bag. They have these bags called "double doodie" LINK  and "wag bags" LINK which have this gell in them that converts wastes to solids and cuts down on odor so all you need is a bucket. Hope to never have to use them.

It's called Kitty Litter and one can pick it up at any Sam Walton's General Store.  :)

Best one ever-  We were canoeing on the Flambeau River in WIsconsin,  Pull into a campsite and there is a BRAND NEW outhouse, couldn't have been a week old.  You could still smell the lumber smell.  One of the kids said "I didn't think they came that way!"  We sure took our time using the faciities. 

At the risk of identifying myself because I've told this story before...On our first troop campout to a local state park, a young man headed for the kybo. It was a nice enough building with a decent seat. A few minutes later the young man runs out and yells Mr. WITW it's just a hole in the ground!

Edited by walk in the woods
  • Upvote 1

At the risk of identifying myself because I've told this story before...On our first troop campout to a local state park, a young man headed for the kybo. It was a nice enough building with a decent seat. A few minutes later the young man runs out and yells Mr. WITW it's just a hole in the ground!

It's really a problem training the boys to flush with those darn things.

• Upvote 1

Best one ever-  We were canoeing on the Flambeau River in WIsconsin,  Pull into a campsite and there is a BRAND NEW outhouse, couldn't have been a week old.  You could still smell the lumber smell.  One of the kids said "I didn't think they came that way!"  We sure took our time using the faciities. 

Did it have a half-moon cut into the door?

Wow our state parks have flush toilets and showers. All of them. It's the national parks that are more primitive.

I was well into my high school years before I was exposed to a flush toilet at a campground and then it was at a provincial park in Ontario Canada.

Most of the commercial campgrounds have them today because people won't camp there unless they do, (along with the pool, game room and convenience store).  However, the best camps still have the pit toilets!  My favorite camp are the DNR camps of northern Wisconsin where they have pit toilets and one still has to hand pump the well.