Let's Talk Latrines. Best, Worse, Favorite?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those "boom boxes" sound alot like the "pilot & bombardier" facilities at Philmont.

Sorry, I live LNT but there are ways to do you duty and make sure it does not harm the environment. I draw the line at packing out my duty. A good cat hole and biodegradable paper will do the trick.

No problem, I thought maybe you thought using wax paper was a poor idea.  

As a Venture Scout I did regular winter mountaineering trips to Scotland.

When camping above the snow line there were no latrines. You used a sandwich bag and back to base with you it went.

High fibre diets seems strangely out of favour on those trips!

Sorry, I live LNT but there are ways to do you duty and make sure it does not harm the environment. I draw the line at packing out my duty. A good cat hole and biodegradable paper will do the trick.

Better that than a plastic bag rotting out over five years in some land fill. In the end (no pun intended), the poo ends up somewhere on planet Earth.

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Upvote 1

@

What is non-biodegradable paper?

@@SpEdScouter

As far as digging one's own?  Haven't done one this summer yet.... 

The best?  I usually shy away from the possibility of ever finding the "best" in the places I camp.  Just this past weekend, I thought it was really neat to have electricity in the site, but I wasn't there just to camp, it was my night's accommodations on a road trip with daughter and granddaughter.

Best I've ever seen: http://councils.scouting.org/Council533/Camping/Camp%20Karoondinhahas a massive cinder-block 20 room edifice with individual unisex plumbed toilets and showers, heating included.

Camp Daniel Boone has a concrete shower and doodie block, private rooms, etc. Very nice.

What is non-biodegradable paper?

I'm talking the stuff that is made to break up faster, no dyes or perfumes, etc. Edited by Bad Wolf

Better that than a plastic bag rotting out over five years in some land fill. In the end (no pun intended), the poo ends up somewhere on planet Earth.

We didn't have a choice. Scottish law says you can roam where you want but need landowners permission to camp. Local landowners said if we wanted to camp we had to take it home, so home it went. Only exception was if you could properly bury it. Camped on top of rock hard refrozen snow with frozen heather underneath there was frankly no chance of burying it.

• Upvote 1

We didn't have a choice. Scottish law says you can roam where you want but need landowners permission to camp. Local landowners said if we wanted to camp we had to take it home, so home it went. Only exception was if you could properly bury it. Camped on top of rock hard refrozen snow with frozen heather underneath there was frankly no chance of burying it.

I knew the Scots were retentive, but that's a bit much. ;)

Had a similar experience in Austria. We came up with innovative ways to melt the tundra up on the mountain side. Who knew a JetBoil could thaw a six inch hole in 5 mins? ;)

""How to Shit in the Woods""  by  Kathleen Meyer..... Go to the expert,  this is the authority as to hygiene, sanitation, packing in/out,  NPS Back Country requirements,  all that stuff.   Order on Amazon, if not available at your outfitters.... http://www.amazon.com/How-Shit-Woods-Edition-Environmentally/dp/1580083633

ROFL...we need a guide for this? ;) Only in America.

ROFL...we need a guide for this? ;) Only in America.

This gal is spot on.  We have forgotten how to handle this problem because even pit toilets are a problem for most kids today.  They may have peed on the bushes outside the house, but when nature calls louder than that, they have no idea what to do.  It is a really excellent book once you get past the title.

This gal is spot on.  We have forgotten how to handle this problem because even pit toilets are a problem for most kids today.  They may have peed on the bushes outside the house, but when nature calls louder than that, they have no idea what to do.  It is a really excellent book once you get past the title.

Corn cobs for everyone. ;)

@  I know you'll change your mind once you read the book.  My kid brother gave me a copy and it's a really interesting read.  I still have my backpacking toilet that I carry that doesn't need plastic bags like one uses to clean up after their dogs.

• Upvote 1