• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why are we clinging to BSA?  There used to be a value to having 'Eagle Scout' on your resume.  Not so much anymore. The mud flung at Scouting has stuck. Eagle may now be a negative: "Oh, you excelled

We are Catholic. We have God on retainer.

It's already been done, so I don't think it's a matter of "should"

It looks like the infrastructure is already there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Catholic_Conference_of_Scouting

The International Catholic Conference of Scouting (ICCS) is an autonomous, international body committed to promoting and supporting Catholic Scout associations and to be a link between the Scout movement and the Catholic Church. Its headquarters is located in Rome, Italy.

It enjoys consultative status with the World Scout Committee[4] and forms the World Scout Inter-religious Forum (WSIF)[5] together with the Council of Protestants in Guiding and Scouting, International Link of Orthodox Christian Scouts, International Union of Muslim Scouts, International Forum of Jewish Scouts, Won-Buddhism Scout and World Buddhist Scout Brotherhood.

There is a close cooperation with the International Catholic Conference of Guiding (ICCG).[6]

It represents about 8 million Scouts.[2]

American Scouts/ers have to keep in mind that we are basically alone in having just one serious national organization.  In most countries, there are many, and they are very often organized along religious lines.  There are already Catholic Scout orgs in dozens of countires.

Edited by Scouter99

The International Catholic Conference of Scouting is for WOSM members only. It is not a scouting association in its own right.

(And yes, there is an International Catholic Conference of Guiding for WAGGGS members.)

Yes, and if CatholicScouts.org has its way, Catholic Scouts would be just like many (most?) other nations.  A mess?  Maybe (I think so), but it's the norm, we're the outlier. 

Yes, and if CatholicScouts.org has its way, Catholic Scouts would be just like many (most?) other nations.  A mess?  Maybe (I think so), but it's the norm, we're the outlier. 

It's the norm in continental Europe and there are historical reasons for that. It's not the norm in Anglo-Saxon countries.

Mine is a catholic unit.

Keep in mind, this linked web site looks to be just one guy spitballing a proposal.  It's not anything official from the church.

I went to http://catholicscouts.org/and while I understand Joe Gillespie is spitballing and attempting to start a grassroots movement, I think some of his thinking is flawed.  He pointed out a large drop in Catholic membership in the BSA from 2003 through 2013.  This does not reflect any change in membership since the youth decision.  It also does not appear to reflect the overall drop in Catholicism throughout the U. S. over the same period. 

As a Catholic I do not oppose the creation of a youth program but why copy scouting.  Create your own!  But I must echo perdidochas and say that there are not enough Catholics in the southeast to support a catholic scouts organization. 

Odds of this happening are slim in the extreme.

WOSM has been increasing reluctant to allow more than one WOSM recognised association in one country. Where they already exist they are increasingly being brought under umbrella bodies such as in Germany.

That website is one man having a rant.