Using Facebook ... "page" Or "group"

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2158 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

But how can you prevent Bobby's mom from tagging kids in photos? It gets very hard to manage that.

Our unit's policy goes a bit further than BSA. When we post photos we do group shots or action photos. We have told our parents never to tag or discuss their kids on FB. If THEY want to share on their page that's okay, BUT we as that they not use the "share" feature, but rather to download the photo and paste on their own page.

It is tough enough to manage the page itself, making sure parents (who may not know better) don't violate BSA policy is a huge job on FB. We avoid individual or small group pictures and take down any if we find they were shared in the wrong manner.

Well, we haven't had the problem with anybody tagging kids in photos. 

#22 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:42 PM

Well, we haven't had the problem with anybody tagging kids in photos. 

Hopefully you won't. But if the unit does it someone could construe that you broke BSA policy about identifying youths in photos.

#23 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2158 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:07 PM

Hopefully you won't. But if the unit does it someone could construe that you broke BSA policy about identifying youths in photos.

We have the pictures locked down, so that only the Page managers can tag photos.  It's in the Tagging Ability settings on the page. 

#24 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

We have the pictures locked down, so that only the Page managers can tag photos.  It's in the Tagging Ability settings on the page. 

Interesting. So only page managers (assumed to be unit leaders) can tag. Tagging is done by linking the picture to a scout's FB account, right? Isn't that identifying that scout by name and other FB info? Is that available for anyone on FB to see that picture?

#25 Scouter99

Scouter99

Banned

• Banned
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

Interesting. So only page managers (assumed to be unit leaders) can tag. Tagging is done by linking the picture to a scout's FB account, right? Isn't that identifying that scout by name and other FB info? Is that available for anyone on FB to see that picture?

If a FB group is private ("closed"), and a person is tagged in photos in that group, they cannot be seen by people who are not also in the group.  In the way back of FB, you could notice this discrepancy when someone's profile said they had 100 photos, but when you clicked, you could only see 58—the remainder were photos that the person's friends had in private albums, or from closed groups, or that the person had specifically blocked you from seeing by putting you in a friends category then restricting that category from seeing certain albums (I, for example, have categories like BSA adults, BSA youth, aunties, co-workers.)

But, the tagged photos can be seen by people who are also in the group when they pull up the person's photos from that person's profile.

If the group is public ("open"), and the scout is tagged in a photo, anyone could see his tag on the photo by going to the group photos, and anyone could see the photos from his profile.

But, if the group is public and his profile is private, then a person could only see the photos from the group.

Because profiles and groups have varying options around privacy, there are a lot of combinations that depend on the interplay between the group settings and each person's profile settings.

"The numbers in a Troop should preferably not exceed thirty two. I suggest this number because in training boys myself I have found that sixteen was about as many I could deal with - in getting at and bringing out the individual character in each. I allow for other people being twice as capable as myself and hence the total of thirty-two."

-Baden-Powell, Aids to Scoutmastership

iEmBJEs.png

#26 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

If a FB group is private ("closed"), and a person is tagged in photos in that group, they cannot be seen by people who are not also in the group.

Yep, I get that. ;)

He mentioned "page managers" which usually is an open, public page rather than a close group. If you tag them on a page then it is open. 

Can you have closed pages? Never tried.

#27 fred johnson

fred johnson

• Members
  • 1427 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:53 PM

Can you have closed pages? Never tried.

No.

"Groups" have members and becoming a member can be controlled.  Conceptually it makes sense to have a "closed" group ... aka only accessible to members.

"Pages" have likes and do not have membership.  Conceptually it does not make sense to have a "closed" page as there is nothing to define who it can access it. 

Edited by fred johnson, 27 July 2015 - 04:55 PM.

#28 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:43 PM

No.

"Groups" have members and becoming a member can be controlled.  Conceptually it makes sense to have a "closed" group ... aka only accessible to members.

"Pages" have likes and do not have membership.  Conceptually it does not make sense to have a "closed" page as there is nothing to define who it can access it.

Figured. So tagged photos of youth on manage pages is akin to giving youth personal info. Not a good idea and against policy. Thanks.

#29 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2158 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

We don't tag pictures, and don't allow others to tag.  We have control over it. 

#30 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:22 PM

We don't tag pictures, and don't allow others to tag.  We have control over it. 

Ok. You mentioned previously that only page editors can tag photos, but did not mention that you don't tag. It seemed to suggest that your page managers could tag photos if they want to; not that you didn't tag at all. My mistake.

#31 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2158 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

Ok. You mentioned previously that only page editors can tag photos, but did not mention that you don't tag. It seemed to suggest that your page managers could tag photos if they want to; not that you didn't tag at all. My mistake.

I did mention it on Post #12.  We have the page set up per BSA policy, and we have it locked down (not mentioned in BSA policy, but just common sense).  Even though pages are open for all, you can restrict posts (you can set it up so that only page manager approved posts/photos/videos are shown), and of course, tagging.  We also have multiple page managers (I believe we have the SM, an ASM (me), and three MCs as page managers).  I would prefer a closed group, but am following the policy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq