Decorum And Acting Scoutlike

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3178 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:39 AM

I think we now have the answer to Rodney King's question and it's "No, we can't all get along". 

#42 packsaddle

packsaddle

• Moderators
  • 8682 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:52 AM

Sure we can. Some of us just need more space than others. Sometimes it needs to be completely different space. :confused:

Edited by packsaddle, 28 July 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#43 DigitalScout

DigitalScout

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:24 PM

... The idea of "harm" as the test for whether the moderators are to shut people up is designed not to create a guideline for debate, but to stop all debate.  Is it "harmful" to point out these facts: Gay men use meth at a rate 20 times the general population, gay men contract HIV/AIDS at a rate 14 times their share of the population, a study of San Francisco gay men found that 20% had more than 1000 sexual partners, that the suicide rate for post-op transexuals is the same as pre-op transexuals. 

Can there even be a real space left for religious opposition?  After all, isn't it harmful to note that as far as homosexuals, the Torrah says "their blood is upon them"?

The off-the-cuff addition to Terry's restrictions that discussion of the issue must not discuss homosexuals as a group is also nothing more than a barrier to discusion at all. ...

I believe this is a good example of what Terry wants to moderate.  This kind of post uses improper debating techniques because it uses the fallacy of stereotyping.  Stereotyping is the generalization that some people of a group have a characteristic so all members of that group have that characteristic.

Since it is not valid in a debate, it must be assumed that statistics are meant to denigrate the group which, I agree with Terry, is very un-scoutlike.

#44 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:00 PM

If your a mod you can push people around, threaten to ban them and then close the thread. That's scout like?

#45 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1628 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:30 AM

If your a mod you can push people around, threaten to ban them and then close the thread. That's scout like?

I closed the thread. I didn't threaten anybody. I posted my reasoning for such.

#46 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:22 AM

I closed the thread. I didn't threaten anybody. I posted my reasoning for such.

You didn't. Packsaddle did. 

#47 SCOUTER-Terry

SCOUTER-Terry

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:26 AM

Folks... (and really this is directed at just two or three of you)... Give it a rest on the moderators. They are all volunteers, and they make this place better for us all. They also aren't immune to their own opinions and passions, nor did they volunteer to give up their ability to participate in the forums.

I picked a balanced team of very reasonable, moderate folks and begged them to provide this cheerful service. It's unseemly to whine about them. They are doing the job I've asked them to do.

If you have concerns, feel free to PM me directly, but please stop complaining publicly about what you see as slight to you.

#48 moosetracker

moosetracker

• Members
  • 3587 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:18 PM

No complaints here Terry,  I think all our mods are terrific.. And since it seems the two who had the issue have solved their issues from posts BDPT00 has made in other posts, I don't know why the issue is still being dredged up..

Lot's of hugs to all our Mods.. And if our emotions would let me, I would send you also some beer and wine and cake too in order to compensate you on these days where our emotions on the boards overtax you.. :D   (Oh !!  :wub: I know why no beer or wine.. Scouting doesn't allow it.. Well we still should have cake, that is allowed.) 

MooseTracker

#49 skeptic

skeptic

• Members
  • 1942 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

No, we agreed on pie a long time back, or so I remember.  Of course, that was Beaver or Bob White or other earlier member that has stepped away.  Guess cake will do.

#50 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

Folks... (and really this is directed at just two or three of you)... Give it a rest on the moderators. They are all volunteers, and they make this place better for us all. They also aren't ammune to their own opinions and passions, nor did they volunteer to give up their ability to participate in the forums.

I picked a balanced team of very reasonable, moderate folks and begged them to provide this cheerful service. It's unseemly to whine about them. They are doing the job I've asked them to do.

If you have concerns, feel free to PM me directly, but please stop complaining publicly about what you see as slight to you.

Fair enough. But it would be nice if the mod apologized for his part just as the person who made the original mistake has. That way we don't have one level of behviour set for non-mods and another for mods. Given the thread title, I suspect that's what the OP was meant to address....to all of us.

#51 moosetracker

moosetracker

• Members
  • 3587 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

Oh yes, a pie emotions would work just fine.. I was just thinking of what other forums I belong to have in their bag of tricks, so it was cake, beer and martini glasses, also some shamrocks and stars and rainbows (but those might be a little too girlie for BSA, and right now some would protest the use of the rainbow emotion when trying to send a peace offering..)

MooseTracker

#52 packsaddle

packsaddle

• Moderators
  • 8682 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:30 PM

As I promised Sentinel, I took time off and took a hike. 

While I'm back I'll take this time to apologize to BDPT00 and the forums in general for 'going off' the way I did. Stosh was right, I should have handled it with PM and the result was destructive overall. I regret this greatly.

I had been on the trail for a short time only to be called back to attend a memorial for a friend, evidently killed in a robbery the same day as my regrettable words - which just doubly makes my reaction that much less important in the grand scheme. I apologize.

#53 Rick_in_CA

Rick_in_CA

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:16 PM

I had been on the trail for a short time only to be called back to attend a memorial for a friend, evidently killed in a robbery the same day as my regrettable words - which just doubly makes my reaction that much less important in the grand scheme. I apologize.

I'm so very sorry to hear that. You have my condolences. Such things are never easy. Know you have friends in many places whether you know our faces or not. You and yours are in my prayers.

#54 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12466 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

As I promised Sentinel, I took time off and took a hike. 

While I'm back I'll take this time to apologize to BDPT00 and the forums in general for 'going off' the way I did. Stosh was right, I should have handled it with PM and the result was destructive overall. I regret this greatly.

Like I said, I have moderated forums before, been there, done that, regretted it too.  It's a good lesson to learn 

There's another lesson one could learn that I have in my repertoire as well.  

(It's displayed in the previous sentence as well.)  :)

My sympathies to you and to the family of your friend.

#55 Eamonn

Eamonn

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7916 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:44 PM

Aging is a funny thing.

It is said that with age comes wisdom.

I'm not so sure.

Back when I was a little fellow I was OK with believing that the Catholic Church was the way to go!

This was thanks to my Irish Catholic parents, nuns beating out the catechisms to a rhythm  with a ruler on a desk.

At about age 15 or so I started questioning my faith and for a while turned away.

I did return but still had and still have questions.

This has at times led to some really wonderful discussions with people who are far more religious then I am or ever will be.

These chats have always been respectful and good natured.

No priest has ever got that upset because I have said that I disagree with my church and the teaching on birth control.

As I got older I became more of what might be called a Cafeteria Catholic.

As  a Scouter the only unit I ever led that was chartered by the church was a Cub Scout Pack. So the subject never came up.

Over the years my thinking about the Scout Oath and Scout Law have more and more became about me.

"On my Honor"

"I promise".

"To do my best."

As a leader of both youth and adults I am happy to not worry what National comes up with or does.

I as a youth leader am the face of Scouting to the youth I have in my care.

Even as a leader of adults I am at times the person who people see as The District or The Council.

I have no control over what National does, I have very little control over what others do.

I do have control over what I do and what I stand for.

All to often the idea of being kind is seen as being weak.

This is so very wrong.

I say that if we were all a lot more kinder the world would be a far better place.

I get and understand that some people are overjoyed with the change and that others are very unhappy.

Still if we are willing to be kind, listen to both sides and respect each other, my hope is that we can avoid any unnecessary hurt or harm.

Parents and their kids will join units where they feel most at home and most welcome.

Meanwhile I will continue to build pioneering towers a little higher then the good books say are allowed.

We will at times go into the gray areas at camp fires.

I'll watch as young kids climb trees or even use water guns.

But I will never knowingly harm a Scout or hopefully another Scouter.

The youth we serve invest their youth in us.

This really is a blessing.

My great hope is that we don't waste time fighting and squabbling amongst ourselves.

Eamonn      

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users