Service Stars: Yea Or Nay?

I'm in the process of changing roles and am updating my uniform accordingly.  As I'm checking out a uniform inspection sheet it dawns on me that I've never worn service stars.  Growing up my Pack and Troop didn't use them, and likely didn't even know they existed.  I can see some pros and cons with them, and would like to get a few more opinions:

For those that use service stars, do you find it a neat addition to the uniform and do you use them in such a way that it adds to the experience for the boys?

For those that don't do you find it unnecessary, too gaudy, etc?

Any other thoughts on this oft-forgotten piece of insignia?

• Upvote 1

I used to wear them, but they are uncomfortable and over the years I have lost track of how many I need,

4 cub

4 boy

30 adult

I guess that wouldn't be too bad but next year I'd need the 30 year star and a 1 star so I'm back to 4 service stars.  That along with all the Cub/Boy/Venturing devices all poking at me, It is just easier to forget about them.  Oh, yeah, the two backs for the name tag, another pain in the butt (chest)

I have one coadvisor who was really concerned about maintaining her continuous membership transitioning from youth to adult. Still haven't seen her put service stars on her uniform.

I used to wear them, but they are uncomfortable and over the years I have lost track of how many I need,

4 cub

4 boy

30 adult

I guess that wouldn't be too bad but next year I'd need the 30 year star and a 1 star so I'm back to 4 service stars.  That along with all the Cub/Boy/Venturing devices all poking at me, It is just easier to forget about them.  Oh, yeah, the two backs for the name tag, another pain in the butt (chest)

If you want to get rid of the backs for the nametag, we can recommend this company.

http://quartermasterstore.com/

You order the nametag you want, add on the magnetic strip on the order, and let them know you want it magnetic.  If you can get a big group order together, that's even better, for shipping.

Edited by CubDaycampDirector

I wore them as a cub back in the 1970's

I like the idea of them

A couple years ago I made a little effort to get them into our pack.  I started wearing them, and awarded them to the boys and leaders.  Thinking bling was good, trying to encourage uniform wear, etc...

I saw very few folks (boys or leaders) wearing them.

I never had a boy or anyone else asked what they mean.

I ended up losing one or two.... backpack straps hang on them.  Jackets and sweaters hang on them.

Finally i gave up and didn't replace them.

but maybe I'll pick up replacements when I head over to the scout shop to get my son's new pants.  Now that I'm out of a job, I need some bling!

Re the magnet idea....

I ordered an official name tag through the scout shop.  they ended up sending a pinned one, so I re-ordered.

In short order the thing was lost.  I think it came off with a jacket or something & i never knew it.  This was maybe 3 years ago.  just about a month ago, i found it under the seat in my truck.... sadly, the backer plate was likely tossed after I couldn't find it.

I've been wearing the pinned nametag ever since.... still not lost. (knock on wood)

Wore then as a lad.  Too much trouble with pin backs to wear for daily uniform.  Will put them on for COH.  Occasionally a scout will ask why I have so many different colors.  Yellow, Red, Green and Blue.   I was a cub, boy, explorer and adult scouter.

Wore then as a lad.  Too much trouble with pin backs to wear for daily uniform.  Will put them on for COH.  Occasionally a scout will ask why I have so many different colors.  Yellow, Red, Green and Blue.   I was a cub, boy, explorer and adult scouter.

There's a whole generation of scouts out there that have the orange year for tiger, too.  :)

• Upvote 1

I wear them.  I combine all my tenure into the blue backgrounds.  The units I am with don't bother with them.   My troop used to do them when I was a kid.  Guess that's how I got in the habit of wearing them.  They can be a pain at times to take off and put back on.  I have had one come off occasionally to.  The way kids are always running around, I can see how they would lose them quickly.

I heard that way back in the dark ages they had service "bars"?   that were sewn on the uniform.  
That creates a whole different set of pros and cons.

I'd like to see things like this moved to either sewn on, or maybe better some sort of woggle device or epaulet device..... somthing that doesn't dangle, won't snag, doesn't stick or injure, won't fall off..... you know, something that would be suitable for a real "Field Uniform"

the knots fit my idea of something useful.... in the way that they are worn anyway....

• Upvote 1