Resistant To Common Sense?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 scoutldr

scoutldr

• Members
  • 4429 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:02 AM

Exposure to UV rays from the sun is just as much a fatal cancer hazard as is smoking.  We ban smoking, don't we?  Most people don't use sunscreen properly anyway, so it's a moot point.  You need to be applying darn near half a bottle every time you put it on, which should be about every hour, depending on activity.

#22 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11729 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:15 AM

.... or wear long pants and long sleeves and a full brimmed hat.  One doesn't see Bedouin nomads wandering around in the desert with nothing but swim trunks on.   

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#23 packsaddle

packsaddle

• Moderators
  • 8682 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:57 AM

I'm sympathetic to Scoutldr's sensitivity to this topic. When I was a child, I suffered probably 3 or 4 blistering sunburns every summer all the way to my teen years. I suspect that it's just been a matter of luck now, at my age, that I don't have skin cancer already but I know I'm at risk.

Back then sunscreen didn't really exist and my parents thought I just needed to get a tan (impossible with my complexion but they didn't know that).

But that experience was literally burned into my memory and I make sure that when I'm in the tropics, or even outdoors here in the South, I and my students take careful precautions. That said, I can't force them to use good sense or to take my advice. But after that first burn, they usually 'come around' to my way of thinking...almost obsessively. Why anyone would voluntarily repeat that burn is beyond my comprehension.

#24 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2705 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:22 AM

Explain why you feel compelled to go to these lengths to get these kids to take care of themselves?  "Does anyone need to use the sunscreen?" is as far as I take it with 11-year-old Boy Scouts. 

Reminding them is nice of you.  Providing sunscreen is above and beyond the call of duty.  All this rigamarole about consent forms and waivers is silly.

Speaking of Scouting, our first, non-delegable, responsibility as Scouters is to do what can be done to insure the safety of the youth.  Youth may act as a force-multiplier, but it is all on us.

Getting a waiver does not satisfy that responsibility even were it legally possible to do so. Legally, minors cannot contract.  Parents cannot contract for minors without court approval (hence the requirement for court approval of settlements in cases of injury to minors) .  Parents cannot effectively consent for their children to engage in harmful activities.  Indeed, it is a crime in most states for them willingly allow their children to do so. (Which makes me wonder about high school football.)

You can only do what you can do.  Maybe "scared straight" tactics will work.  I've seen some pretty gory examples such as tops of ears missing.

#25 MrBob

MrBob

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:32 AM

@MrBob. Every kind of weather poses its unique set of hazards!

Although, we easterners would be liking to hazard a few sunny days.

Caution: Life may be hazardous to your health.

#26 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6204 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

You can only do what you can do.  Maybe "scared straight" tactics will work.  I've seen some pretty gory examples such as tops of ears missing.

I haven't had much luck with that at the venturing level. The youth who you would like to influence will just drop out of the program.

The most success I've had is to make very clear that a youth will only be welcome to the "next teir" adventure if he/she demonstrates discipline at their current level.

For example, my fire-bugs know exactly why I'm not planning a hike out west with them. They know exactly what I expect to see (or more precisely, not see) from them before we move forward.

#27 JasonG172

JasonG172

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:28 AM

DUH !!!!! isn't Sunscreen one of the 10 essentials?  My cubs name off them off to me and I test them on it.

#28 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2158 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:32 PM

Explain why you feel compelled to go to these lengths to get these kids to take care of themselves?  "Does anyone need to use the sunscreen?" is as far as I take it with 11-year-old Boy Scouts. 

Reminding them is nice of you.  Providing sunscreen is above and beyond the call of duty.  All this rigamarole about consent forms and waivers is silly.

I'm with you. I remind and offer sunscreen to the Troop (part of the process when I'm putting my sunscreen on, a Scout is kind and courteous), but I don't make anybody wear it. I don't confront them about it.  I don't have sympathy when they burn.  I'm dealing with primarily 11-14 year olds in the troop.  I think I would laugh at a Crew member who got sunburned after refusing sunscreen.   Then again, we are in Florida, and our Troop meets less than a mile from the beach (as the crow flies). Most of them have gotten the message.

Edited by perdidochas, 12 August 2015 - 01:42 PM.

#29 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Erinaceomorpha Erinaceidae Member

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:45 AM

Assuming the kids are under 18, you are responsible for their safety and they are required to do what you tell them in that area.

Don't ask, tell.  Refusing a request, "who want's to put on sunscreen?" is one thing.  Refusing an instruction, "Make sure you put on sunscreen" is insubordination.  What do you do about life jackets when canoing or kayaking?  Ask, "who wants to put on a life jacket?"  Of course not.  Safety is not optional.

A scout is obedient.  Make the rule that you must have sunscreen unless their parent provides you a written waiver signed by the parent and the scout acknowledging that the scout will likely get sunburn and could develop complications later in life.

#30 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:42 AM

@Hedgehog is right. Same with hydration. It's not a request, it's an order. The consequences of not obeying can affect the whole crew. Sunscreen or water or anything, if asked to,do it you do it.

#31 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11729 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:25 AM

Boy-led, patrol-method - Troop Rule #1 (Safety First) trumps anything the boys can come up with.  Note to PL's: you are to take care of your boys.  If they do not have sun screen on, you are not taking care of them.  Do your job or steps will be taken to find a functioning PL that will.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq