• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12155 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

BSA can do what it wants, if I have one boy bullying or sexually harassing another boy, he's out of the troop.  That's been my policy long before the homosexual issue was politically correct.  I was a CA for 15 years and I didn't tolerate any bullying or sexual harassment from anyone whether they were homosexual or heterosexual.  

BSA has it's policies, I have mine.  If anyone in my units does not feel safe and comfortable, the reason for that discomfort or danger is removed, no second chances.  As long as the youth know that up front, there shouldn't be a problem.  I have held that standard for the past 45 years working with youth and never had the experience of removing a participant from any of the programs I have worked with.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#22 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5985 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:54 PM

AZMike, so far we know very little about what happened here, and we know nothing about the outcome, because Nitroboy decided not to tell us "at this time." We don't even know whether the alleged wrongdoer was a Scouter or a Scout, because he is identified as both in the original post. What little we do "know" we have been told by someone who knows the facts third-hand, at best. If you choose to draw conclusions from that, it's your choice.

As for the YP policy, there were YP violations before there was any change in the sexual orientation policy, and there will be YP violations after. I don't think anyone ever said there wouldn't be. There is no reason to believe that the enforcement of the YP policies has changed or will change.

#23 moosetracker

moosetracker

• Members
  • 3587 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

AZMike - as others have said, we don't know enough of the situation to really say.. Like if the homosexual looked at the other kid and knowing the orientation of the fellow the accuser simply took it as his coming on to him .. Then it would end up being the homosexual really did nothing wrong.. But, for the sake of argument, lets say the homosexual did cross the line. Then the answer is yes, the youth should be removed if BSA is following youth protection policy..  It is as simple as that.. If they did not remove him, they did not follow policy.

But as others have said, this would be the same policy if in ventures a youth male crossed the line with a youth female.. Or an Adult male came on to either a youth male or Female. Or a Female Adult came on to either a youth male of female.. 

Not youth protection, but still should be dealt with as sexual harassment would be a Female Adult propositioned a Male or Female Adult.. Or a Male Adult hit on a Female or Male Adult..

MooseTracker

#24 Eagledad

Eagledad

• Members
  • 5908 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:12 AM

I know of two boy scout babies (teens now) as a result of Venture Crew tent mates.

Barry

"Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first, then the lesson."

#25 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5985 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

I know of two boy scout babies (teens now) as a result of Venture Crew tent mates.

Barry

Sounds like violations of Youth Protection policies to me. Were there any consequences? (Other than the babies, I mean.)

#26 nitroboy

nitroboy

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:38 AM

Thank you all for your responses ! It was a scout not scouter that made the advances ! My Bad for not correcting it !

#27 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12155 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:56 AM

Any breech in the safety and welfare of anyone in my charge is met with immediate, no discussion, expulsion from the troop.  Knowing this upfront means no surprises down the road.  It may also be the reason I have never had to deal with any issues like this in my troops.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#28 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6490 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:12 AM

Thank you all for your responses ! It was a scout not scouter that made the advances ! My Bad for not correcting it !

No worries.

Still falls under youth protection.

It was right to notify the camp director.

#29 HICO_Eagle

HICO_Eagle

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

"There is no Sexuality merit badge."

Somehow I suspect there will be by the time the self-proclaimed "enlightened" ones are done changing the program.

#30 SeattlePioneer

SeattlePioneer

• Members
  • 4170 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

<<

Any breech in the safety and welfare of anyone in my charge is met with immediate, no discussion, expulsion from the troop.  Knowing this upfront means no surprises down the road.  It may also be the reason I have never had to deal with any issues like this in my troops.>>

WAY too broad and vague to be of any use in evaluating a situation,  in my opinion.

#31 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2183 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:03 AM

I've been in scouting as an Assistant Scoutmaster for over 20 years and worked numerous positions in the council training other adults. Two years ago I left the troop to be at large for the council and continue to see my previous troop. I went to there summer week long resident camp to visit one day. I was told from another ASM that his son was approached and advances with touching was made to the ASM'S son by a scout that has said he was gay. He told his father because he was uneasy with this. They went to the camp director and reported the incident. I'm not at this time going to tell all of my fellow scouters the outcome at this time. I've been searching for the answer to what actions should of been taking. I ask has anyone read in "Black & White " from National how to and what should be done with the scouter that was gay? My take on this is it should fall under Youth Protection Guidelines. True? Please let me hear it from other Scouters and any incidents you may have had and what the outcome was. 

I'm confused, was the advance/touching done by a Scout or a Scouter? 

If by a Scouter, it sounds like YP guidelines weren't followed, and the Scouter should be dismissed. 

If by a Scout, it depends on the nature of the touching. 

#32 Scouter99

Scouter99

Banned

• Banned
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:45 AM

@perdidochas he already answered that question
"The numbers in a Troop should preferably not exceed thirty two. I suggest this number because in training boys myself I have found that sixteen was about as many I could deal with - in getting at and bringing out the individual character in each. I allow for other people being twice as capable as myself and hence the total of thirty-two."

-Baden-Powell, Aids to Scoutmastership

iEmBJEs.png

#33 Gwaihir

Gwaihir

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

http://www.huffingto...4b029c1d1f88e02

this hit the web shortly after the Milo scandal broke. 

#34 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5985 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:29 PM

http://www.huffingto...4b029c1d1f88e02

this hit the web shortly after the Milo scandal broke. 

If the point is that adults should not have intimate relationships with 14-year-olds, I don't think the author will get an argument from anyone here.

#35 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2183 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:56 AM

Duplicate post. Didn't realize this was a Lazarous thread that I had already commented on. 

Edited by perdidochas, 22 February 2017 - 10:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq