Scouting Builds Leaders And Doers

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 resqman

resqman

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

My son is 19. He and his chum Donald were in scouting together since Wolf scouts.  They joined the same troop and same patrol.   They tented together, camped together, went to summer camp together.  They were SPL and ASPL.  They attended Philmont together.  They both attended Northern Tier and Florida Seabase but at different times.  My son was the crew leader for their Philmont trek while Donald was the Chaplin.   They both earned the rank of Eagle.  Both have aged out and are currently enrolled in college.  They travel back and forth between their two colleges several hours apart to hike, camp and enjoy each others company.

Today the two of them started a 9 day, 110 mile backpacking trip from Springer Mtn, Ga. to the state border of Georgia/North Carolina along the Appalachian Trail.  They planned it. They figured out public transportation from their home in North Carolina to the trail head in Ga. They organized their gear, made menu selections, and mailed themselves supplies so they can resupply along the trail. 

The years of scouting have prepared them to plan and lead their own expeditions into the outdoors.  They invited me to join them at the southern most point of the Appalachian Trail and backpack along with them for half of the first day.  I got a hug from both when I headed back to the vehicle and they headed North to adventure.  I can hardly wait to hear the tales from the adventure. 

#2 eagle77

eagle77

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:19 PM

That rules. You must be very proud.

#3 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

@resqman surely they are Tweeting it. ;)

#4 jr56

jr56

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:44 AM

Glad to hear about it, hope they have a great time.

#5 pargolf44067

pargolf44067

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:42 PM

@resqman, that sounds awesome!

#6 resqman

resqman

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:09 PM

@resqman surely they are Tweeting it. ;)

No tweets but the Donald's parents have asked for a text once a day to confirm they are still alive and well.   Meant they had to pack a spare battery for the phone.

They were making haste.  The were backpacking 3 mph while I was with them up and over mountains.  Oh, to be young again. 

#7 desertrat77

desertrat77

• Members
  • 2134 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:51 PM

Outstanding!

#8 resqman

resqman

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:49 PM

Picture from the lads trip.  They survived 9 days on the trail.  Looking forward to the stories!

Attached Files

#9 packsaddle

packsaddle

• Moderators
  • 8682 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:55 PM

I can tell you this about that section of the trail right now: IT'S HOT!!!!!!

#10 Rick_in_CA

Rick_in_CA

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

Fantastic!

#11 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Erinaceomorpha Erinaceidae Member

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:11 PM

Awesome.  I can say that I'm hoping that my son and his buddies will still invite me to come along backpacking after they age out.  I'm trying to make the last week of the summer trek a tradition.

#12 packsaddle

packsaddle

• Moderators
  • 8682 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:40 PM

Hedgehog, it pains me to inform you that if they DO issue such an invitation, my personal experience is that they also might do that in order to show you how OLD you are..."What, we have to wait for HIM again?" LOL, if this happens, just play along and enjoy the stroll.

#13 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:23 PM

@packsaddle  I think I've got two more years where I can out pace him.  I can probably stretch it for a couple of more years by putting more and more gear in his backpack instead of mine.  I'm hoping that after doing this for 5 more years, I'll be in good enough shape to at least keep it respectable.  If not, all I've got is my charming personality to make them want to backpack with me.  :D   

But there is hope.   I met a 60 year old thru-hiker on the Appalachian Trail a couple of weeks ago.  He said that when he was a scout at age 12 he met a thru-hiker and promised himself that he would do that some day.  He said it just took 48 years to keep that promise.

#14 packsaddle

packsaddle

• Moderators
  • 8682 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:42 PM

I'll be on the trail on Tuesday. Just a segment. There was a time that I would blast through everything. Today, I like to experience everything, just sit once in a while and listen and watch everything around me and enjoy the experience. It takes forever to get there but it isn't a race anymore.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

#15 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

Did the AT over three seasons a while back. I highly recommend it.

#16 packsaddle

packsaddle

• Moderators
  • 8682 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:01 PM

North to South, or South to North?

#17 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

I'll be on the trail on Tuesday. Just a segment. There was a time that I would blast through everything. Today, I like to experience everything, just sit once in a while and listen and watch everything around me and enjoy the experience. It takes forever to get there but it isn't a race anymore.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Enjoy the trail.  I always love it when I catch up with the 16 year olds and ask them, "Did you see that view a couple of miles back?" and they respond, "What view?"  

The best rest stop I had was while backpacking the AT with my son in New Jersey -- stopped to have coffee and Cliff bars at the Sunrise Mountain overlook on a clear, crisp November morning.  He turned to me and said, "I can't imagine a better place to have breakfast in the world."

Did the AT over three seasons a while back. I highly recommend it.

I would love that.  Right now, I'm working on section hiking the whole AT... in New Jersey.  Have a couple of sections left between High Point and the New York State line.

We're doing a 50 miler on the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway in New Hampshire at the end of the summer.  Have 6 weeks to prepare for that.  Treks planned for the future include Devil's Path in the Adirondaks and the West Rim Trail of the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon.  Hoping to convince my son to do the 100 Mile Wilderness and then the Tahoe Rim Trail as he gets older..

#18 DuctTape

DuctTape

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:18 AM

Fyi, Devils Path is in the Catskills.

#19 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:02 AM

Fyi, Devils Path is in the Catskills.

I knew that... at one point.   :huh:

#20 resqman

resqman

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 02:14 PM

Well the same two scouts mentioned in the original post are at it again.  This time they are driving to the Florida Keys and kayak for a week around and between the various keys.  They are renting kayaks locally and paddling for a week.  They will spend evenings in a hostel, various camp grounds/state parks, and one night with a family friend who lives in the area.  

Both have attended Northern Tier so are familiar with paddling and living out of a small craft for a week or more.  Granted Canadian lakes are vastly different from open water in the Keys but they felt a need to ramp up the challenge level.  Both spent a week scuba diving in the Bahamas a few years ago so are familiar with tropical water conditions. 

Son graduated from EMT school on Monday and Friday they headed out.  Son has been a lifeguard at the county pool for the last 3 summers.  As long as he is not the one who tries to drown or get hurt, the two should be OK.  They plan on dragging fishing lines while paddling so hope to have fresh fish for a few meals.  Spiny lobster is in season so also hope to gather a few while snorkeling. 

I am so jealous.  Can hardly wait to hear the tale of this adventure.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq