What Technology Does Your Unit Use?
In looking through the "technology section" here I did not find a thread that summed up all the technology that we use in running our program. I thought it might be useful to start a thread that collected various technology used in your units.
Rather than be prescriptive, I thought it might be useful to just list out what you use and why you use it. I will offer up a sample from my unit.
- TroopMaster: We use the client-based software for troop management. We have subscriptions to their web application which also links now to an iPhone/Android app where you can make changes to data either from the client software, web or app.
- SOAR/MyTroop: This is our website. It links with TroopMaster and allows us to have a full-feature website with calendar, troop roster, mailing lists, newsletter, announcements, event registration, event payment, troop store, file archive and much more.
- Social Media:
- Facebook: We use as an online brochure. We post events, "like" scout-related entities and events, post stuff about the unit to raise awareness and serve as one place people interested in joining can find out more about us.
- Twitter: Used for internal troop communications. Limited to logistics such as when we will be coming home from camp outs, E-Prep activities, reminders, etc.
- Remind: Good one-to-many text tool. Use this to target text messages to specific groups (e.g., TFC, PLC, senior leaders, patrols, etc.).
- Blogger: This is used to update parents while on camp outs or summer camp. Nice way to allow parents or grand parents to see what their kids are up to while away.
- Photo Archives: Picasa, Imgur or Shutterfly allow you to privately share pictures taken with those who have a password. We take photos on trips and camp outs and post them to folders. People can download originals. On Shutterfly you can import them to make gifts or reprints.
- Google Docs/OneDrive: Use these tools for file sharing and archiving large volumes of data; mostly working documents. Final docs are moved to the website. Committees, groups and patrols will use these tools to share docs/presentations in development. Great for program planning. Has a desktop sync feature that allows you to share a folder from desktop to cloud so you always have your data. Since it is in the cloud you can access from any computer or mobile device.
- OneNote: Use this for the Scribe to send out and share PLC minutes. Same cloud-to-app feature as Google Docs and OneDrive.
Those are a few of the resources we use. What does your unit use?