Lgbt Group Will Pay Bsa $50,000 To Lift Ban On Gay Adult Leaders

A pro-LGBT group has raised more than $50,000 to donate to the Boy Scouts of America if the organization ends its ban on gay adult leaders. 

Scouts for Equality launched its campaign on the crowdfunding site Challeng.org last week, calling on President Bob Gates and the Boy Scouts to lift the organization's ban on gay adults during its national meeting later this month. 

"If they meet this challenge and vote to end their ban on gay adults, the proceeds from this campaign will be donated straight to the Boy Scouts of America. But if they don't vote down the ban, your donation won't be processed," Scouts for Equality Executive Director Zach Wahls says in a video promoting the campaign. 

"When I was growing up in the Boy Scout, my moms taught me that being gay ha nothing to do with your ability to live by the promises of the Scout law," Wahls says. 

The campaign, which began with a $10,000 pledge from Scouts for Equality, had raised $53,285 by Friday morning.

The BSA lifted its ban on gay youth in 2013 but continues to bar gay adult leaders. However, the Greater New York Councils of the Boy Scouts recently hired an openly gay man to serve as youth leader. Meanwhile, the New York attorney general's office has launched an investigation into whether the Boy Scouts' employment practices violate the state's ban on anti-gay discrimination

SOURCE: http://www.towleroad.com/2015/05/lgbt-group-raises-over-50k-to-boy-scouts-for-ending-ban-on-gay-adults.html

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Am sure sometime soon USA will just get over its gay fixation and realise that gay people are just people. They'll catch up with the rest of the civilised world  and realise that after appointing gay

Well, they obviously know what make$ National $it up and take notice, but they're probably about three zeros short.

Stosh, I have had, and still have, many gay friends (as you probably suspect). Not a single one of them has attacked anything other than a plate full of food at our home once in a while. They, however

Interesting forum bug I just noticed - apparently you can't put words in ALL CAPS in thread titles, so acronyms (LGBT & BSA) get converted into lower case with the first letter capitalized.

Boy your on a roll this morning AZ... Was there a reason for two different threads that will spark similar comment, rather then putting them in the same thread?

Wasn't Zach Wahls the one who dropped a huge signature petition off a few years back sometime just before the vote that allowed young gays in the program? From what I remembered I don't think he was gay himself, but was raised by two lesbian mothers and went through scouting all the way to Eagle although his parents couldn't be adult leaders.

This seems like a worthy cause, but I believe they will need to raise lots more to make it attractive.. Even then I don't see BSA just dropping the policy at the meeting, the best I see is getting them to propose another vote similar to what they did to lift the ban on youth..  Personally, I think it may be too soon since the last vote..  I predicted the ban on adults to be lifted about 5 years after the ban on youth was..  I still think that prediction is about right..  But, I can see the squeeze is on to pressure the change.

Is $50,000 the going rate for 30 pieces of silver nowadays?

What makes these people think that a program as honorable as the BSA can be bought?

Oh, yeah, never mind.

• Upvote 1

It's just a way to get the (discussion?) going again. Both side are getting ready for battle. Hence the changes in the requirements. Sadly, the boys loose in the end because the BSA will suffer much more significant loses than gains.

Barry

• Upvote 1

What makes these people think that a program as honorable as the BSA can be bought?

Oh, yeah, never mind.

Well Stosh, at least we agree on something: The BSA's principles are for sale to the highest bidder.

We just don't agree on what the true principles are, or on who the highest bidders are.

Is $50,000 the going rate for 30 pieces of silver nowadays?

I am a little surprised that you trivialize one of the major events in your own religion like that, but I guess it's yours to trivialize as you wish. Edited by NJCubScouter

Am sure sometime soon USA will just get over its gay fixation and realise that gay people are just people. They'll catch up with the rest of the civilised world  and realise that after appointing gay scout leaders, the world will still turn, the movement will still go on. Same for gay marriage. I often wonder all the people that are dead set against a gay scout leader have ever met one ?

• Upvote 2

Your being nieve tyke. Just because people have gay friends, neighbors, family, and work aquantences doesn't they believe it is right.

This about a moral representation of BSA values. The BSAs Mission and Vision is developing boys into moral and ethical decision makers. Homosexuality conflicts with many folks morality standards.

Boy your on a roll this morning AZ... Was there a reason for two different threads that will spark similar comment, rather then putting them in the same thread?

I wanted to bleed energy off from the religion/evolution thread and let it die a natural death.

Am sure sometime soon USA will just get over its gay fixation and realise that gay people are just people. They'll catch up with the rest of the civilised world  and realise that after appointing gay scout leaders, the world will still turn, the movement will still go on. Same for gay marriage. I often wonder all the people that are dead set against a gay scout leader have ever met one ?

I agree tyke. Not with the way and your fellow British folks spell "realize" and "civilized", but with the rest of it.

Who knows maybe the USA is still spinning and the civilized world has stopped?? (just kidding)

Your being nieve tyke. Just because people have gay friends, neighbors, family, and work aquantences doesn't they believe it is right.

This about a moral representation of BSA values. The BSAs Mission and Vision is developing boys into moral and ethical decision makers. Homosexuality conflicts with many folks morality standards.

The problem is that there are now many people and religions that believe ostracizing gays goes against being moral..  In order for BSA to again be a non-denominational organization, they have to find a way for each religious denomination and other non-religious CO's  to be able to teach the scouts what they believe is moral.. Currently in order to do that they have to make a choice to either disregard rules of the BSA or treat people in what they believe is an immoral way in front of the very youth they want to teach values to.. 

Edited by moosetracker

I am still unsure what is 'unmoral' about being gay ? Yeah the old  'man should not lie with man like he does with women' bit is in the bible, but so is lots and lots and lots of other random passages from not being allowed to wear two types of fabric, women being teachers etc that don't relate to the modern world. I'm sure if Jesus would be around today he'd be hanging out with the gays, as he hung out with prostitutes  (and thats from an Atheist)

I'm sure if Jesus would be around today he'd be hanging out with the gays, as he hung out with prostitutes  (and thats from an Atheist)

I'm sure you're right, but somewhere during his time with them he would say, "go and sin no more" (That's from John 8:11).

Barry

Well in BSA a prostitute, stripper, adulterer, any heterosexual living in sin as well as a host of other sins could all be adult leaders.. It is up to the CO to decide if they feel the adult will make a good leader or not regardless the sins they are currently commiting..  It is just murderers, child molesters, gays and atheists that are automatically not accepted.. The murderers and child molesters are agreed on by all.. The atheists have a little support.. The gays though is where there is enough support that it should be up to the CO to decide if a gay adult leader is acceptable or not..  For many it is no more a sin then a heterosexual couple living together unwed, if that now that the homosexuals can marry.. 

It is just for some reason some religions have elevated this sin to be about equal with being a murderer..  It's all in what your religious leaders wish to highlight and what your religious leaders view as inconsequential.

Edited by moosetracker