Something To Keep An Eye On....

Stosh:

I think you are confusing DEET with Permethrin.  DEET is applied to skin:  http://www2.epa.gov/insect-repellents/deet

One comment, Permethrin can be applied to skin too.  It's the main ingredient in a lot of the head lice remedies you can buy over the counter..... we just recently had it go through my kids' school and they brought it home... my first ever dealings with the critters.... ugh!  I have learned a lot about the little buggers.....and now know the trick to getting rid of them that doesn't involve spending money at walgreens.... but that's another story...

and this is not to counter Stosh's ant-deet methods.... which i admire....

but my favorite is the Off product "Smooth and Dry"  It doesn't have the sticky nasty feeling like most repellents....

AVON's Skin So Soft has been tested and has no measurable effect in repelling mosquitoes. In contrast, Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard has insect repellent added.

"Permethrin kills ticks on contact with treated clothing. A method of reducing deer tick populations by treating rodent vectors involves stuffing biodegradable cardboard tubes with permethrin-treated cotton. Mice collect the cotton for lining their nests. Permethrin on the cotton instantly kills any immature ticks feeding on the mice. It is important to put the tubes where mice will find them, such as in dense, dark brush, or at the base of a log; mice are unlikely to gather cotton from an open lawn.

Permethrin is used in tropical areas to prevent mosquito-borne disease such as dengue fever and malariaMosquito nets used to cover beds may be treated with a solution of permethrin. This increases the effectiveness of the bed net by killing parasitic insects before they are able to find gaps or holes in the net. Military personnel training in malaria-endemic areas may be instructed to treat their uniforms with permethrin, as well. An application should last several washes.

Permethrin is available for topical use as a cream or lotion. It is indicated for the treatment and prevention in exposed individuals of head lice (Pediculus humanus capitis) and treatment of scabies (Sarcoptes scabies).  Permethrin formulations include a prescription-only 5% strength for scabies and an over-the-counter 1% strength for lice."

CDC

"Clothing, hats, shoes, bed nets, jackets, and camping gear can be treated with permethrin for added protection. Products such as Permanone and Sawyer permethrin are registered with EPA specifically for use by consumers to treat clothing and gear. Alternatively, clothing pretreated with permethrin is commercially available, marketed to consumers in the United States as Insect Shield or BugsAway.

Permethrin is a highly effective insecticide-acaricide and repellent. Permethrin-treated clothing repels and kills ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, and other biting and nuisance arthropods. Clothing and other items must be treated 24–48 hours in advance of travel to allow them to dry. As with all pesticides, follow the label instructions when using permethrin clothing treatments.

Permethrin-treated materials retain repellency or insecticidal activity after repeated laundering but should be retreated, as described on the product label, to provide continued protection. Clothing that is treated before purchase is labeled for efficacy through 70 launderings. Clothing treated with the other repellent products described above (such as DEET) provides protection from biting arthropods but will not last through washing and will require more frequent reapplications.'

Several sources say permethrin presents a low risk of absorption through the skin.  As noted, it is used directly on the skin to treat lice and scabies.                                 v

Regarding handling of Permethrin-treated clothing post-outing:

Pesticide-grade permethrin is toxic to cats. Many cats die after being given flea treatments intended for dogs, or by contact with dogs having recently been treated with permethrin.

Permethrin is not tolerated in cats; It causes symptoms like convulsionhyperaesthesiahyperthermiahypersalivation, loss of balance... These symptoms are barely reversible in condition to be treated in time by a veterinary knowing what he has to deal with, otherwise the poisoning is fatal.  This intolerance is due to a defect in glucuronosyltransferase a common detoxification enzyme in other mammals (that also makes the cat intolerant to paracetamol and many essential oils).[28] The use of any external parasiticides based with permethrin is against-indicated in the cat. (Cat ecotoxicology : cutaneous 100 mg·kg - Oral 200 mg·kg.)

Lemon Eucalyptus repells deer ticks and reduces risk of fungus infections.  It does not melt plastics but lasts only 75% as long as deet products.

Edited by TAHAWK

Anyone ever use sulfur powder as a tick repellant?  We used to dust our pants and shoes with it at my grandfather's ranch back in the 70s.  it seemed to work then, but I was just a kid.

Now that you mention it I recall using that at Philmont in the 60's. I will revisit thanks.