Tracking Any Bugs Or Feature Requests For The New Forum

Faith,

I did a quick cursory survey of the profiles of a number of the members.  

Of all the active moderators they have gender marked. (active past 24 hours)

Of all the active members they do not have gender marked.  I looked at a bunch and NONE were marked.

You can draw your own conclusions from this.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forum members have have been making more mistakes with Up (green) and Down (red) voting.   Can the arrow buttons be made larger and positioned farther apart?   Could members be allowed to change t

Remember Mozartbrau, too much of a good thing is not acceptable in the BSA.  

Faith,   I did a quick cursory survey of the profiles of a number of the members.     Of all the active moderators they have gender marked. (active past 24 hours)   Of all the active members the

Posted Images

Oh, by the way, every Moderator should have a second account in which they can log in as a regular user and see what everyone else sees.  That's standard protocol for moderators, admins and develoopers.  In the case identified with this software, it would also be feasible to have Firefox, IE and Chrome (CM on mobile) all loaded on your PC/mobile as well.  You all went cold turkey changeover without proper, extensive testing.  I understand why, but one needs to be prepared for a major fall out because of it.

By the way even the way the website looks varies between browsers.  When people are told that the latest forum responses are listed at the right, that is correct for IE and Chrome, but they are listed at the bottom in Firefox.

Hope these suggestions help

The appearances of most websites often vary with different browsers. I'm also using a Dell notebook with those browsers but I'm using W-7, not XP.

The second account thing, as I remember, was not allowed in the past and even now I suspect I'll have to create that 'dummy' account from some other IP address in order to make it work.

As for gender, here's what's going on: The moderators are the only members of the forums whose gender identity is unambiguous. Draw your own conclusions.

Edited by packsaddle
  • Upvote 1

The appearance of most websites often varies with different browsers. I'm also using a Dell notebook with those browsers but I'm using W-7, not XP.

The second account thing, as I remember, was not allowed in the past and even now I suspect I'll have to create that 'dummy' account from some other IP address in order to make it work.

As for gender, here's what's going on: The moderators are the only members of the forums whose gender identity is unambiguous. Draw your own conclusions.

Do the admins have the ability to set what members can and cannot do in their profiles?  Maybe there's a general switch that allows that feature to appear in the profiles that isn't turned on.

Later today I'll get on my Ubuntu machine and see what Linux does with the website.

I just thought that it was strange that the moderators (those with higher privileges) had the gender switch and the members didn't.  Thought maybe that was a clue to help with the search.

The HELP feature in the new software doesn't say anything about this "undocumented" feature.

Sigh.

I can assure you all that, other than the tools necessary to perform the functions of a moderator, the moderators never asked for, and up to now did not know we had, access to any features that other members did not.

I do not regard the ability to specify gender in a profile - or even to have a profile at all - to be particularly important in being a member of this forum, or in being a moderator. I have somehow managed to get along for 13 years in this forum, including 2 as a moderator, without it. I would gladly give it up if it meant I didn't have to read some of the snarkiness I have been reading over the past couple of days.

I will also say, now that Packsaddle has referred to it, and there has also been some evidence of it in the forum, that it appears that this new software does have a feature that will automatically ban a second account that uses the same IP address as a previous account. Otherwise I would create a non-moderator account to test what non-moderators can and can't do. But I hope you'll all forgive me for waiting for the powers that be to figure out a way for me to do that without violating the very rules I am supposed to be enforcing! Thanks. I appreciate it.

Okay, here's the scoop on Linux.  

I have Firefox on my Windows XP and the editing menu does not come up.

I have Firefox on my Ubuntu Linux and the editing menu DOES come up and works fine.  It's an older slower machine that works better than my newer PC.  Go figure.

As the moderators have pointed out, NO they cannot fix many of these problems.  They are moderators of the forum, not tech support..

Admins with greater flexibility in manipulating the forum settings may or may not be able to fix many of the concern either.  The administer the software, they do not do tech support.

However, (not being snarky here) with that being said, hopefully they can pass along some of the information being expressed (yes, gender is not a big issue that everyone has to lose any sleep over).  I'm thinking that if the admins can fix it they can pass it along to the software people who are providing this so they know what to fix for future releases.  They are not users, they can only speculate what they think the users might want.  

I don't know if the software developers can even handle many of the issues I have identified, but I have had 15+ years custom programming experience and have had to test hundreds if not thousands of pieces of code to make sure they did what they were supposed to do.  And then,depending on on the platform, system software and program combination, not everything can be addressed.  Why would Firefox work on Linux and not on Windows and Chrome and IE do just fine. I dunno, and I really don't care.  I can make it work.  I only passed along what I found out just in case someone up the food chain did care about the issues. 

• Upvote 1

Based on my experiment, there does seem to be a limit on the number of words allowed in a post.  Not sure what is is, but the post I could not make was OK in three parts.

Perhaps a faster Internet connection makes a difference.  Literally the only service I can get is digital over copper - better than dial-up but relatively slow.  Fiber is two miles away, as it was twenty years ago, and the trees block dish..

didn't I see a button by each thread yesterday that would jump you to the last unread post? or maybe it was the last post?  I'm not seeing it now.....

didn't I see a button by each thread yesterday that would jump you to the last unread post? or maybe it was the last post?  I'm not seeing it now.....

For me near the title of each thread I have a page count, with that I can go to the last page.vynhW5e.jpg

esD5C2G.jpg

(Ohhhh... pictures ... Kool :) ) What can I say, I'm easily amused..

Anyway.. These two pictures show the pages (if the thread has pages).. Click a page number and you seem to always go to the top post of that page..

Once or twice I have hit the actual title of the thread and it took me to the first post that was written since the last time I entered the thread.. But not always, and I have yet to figure out when it does that and when it does not.

I almost exclusively use Firefox and have never had a problem. I also use Chrome on the same computer and no problems with that either. I've also used Safari, no problems, but I just haven't seen the need to use it.

I try never to use IE. Bloatware.

Mozart's posts have been illuminating though. Thanks. I'm enough of a neo-Luddite probably never to want to use a lot of the finer features of this new forum structure. But in time I might be persuaded to the dark side, I suppose....I could learn to love IE, and Microsoft, hell could freeze over....

For me near the title of each thread I have a page count, with that I can go to the last page.vynhW5e.jpg

esD5C2G.jpg

(Ohhhh... pictures ... Kool :) ) What can I say, I'm easily amused..

Anyway.. These two pictures show the pages (if the thread has pages).. Click a page number and you seem to always go to the top post of that page..

Once or twice I have hit the actual title of the thread and it took me to the first post that was written since the last time I entered the thread.. But not always, and I have yet to figure out when it does that and when it does not.

It's the little blue dot or star to the left of the title that I was writing about.  

I see it know, using chrome browser on MS Windows.

Maybe it's my Chrome OS machine I was using last night....