LBP University for Cub Scout Leaders?

Registration for my area's Lord Baden-Powell University 2015 session opens soon. Anyone have experience with this? How useful did you find the programming? Did you go for any of the "degrees"? Is it worth going at the Cubmaster level (I do have intentions of staying on through the troop and district level as my boys age)?

Is this "University of Scouting"? That's what we have here... Read thru the catalog, you are sure to find something to interest you, lead you into other endeavors. BALOO, faith awards, "The Magic of Scouting", shooting sports.... "Is it worth going at the Cubmaster level? Why would it not?

Next year you will either say "Gee that was fun!" or "Boy that was a waste of time". or "Darn, I wish I'd signed up for that".

Which will it be?

Hey, PbW! I considered going to the Lord Baden-Powell University in Camp Lake, WI this coming March. However, I had a prior commitment on that Saturday. The courses look interesting enough and I'm sure you'll learn loads of good stuff to use as a Cubmaster. But, more importantly, I'm sure you'll meet people and learn things from them that aren't necessarily presented in the courses. Likely, the people you meet here will also be moving into Boy Scouting and district level positions along with you--even if in different councils/districts.

I guess my one gripe would be that it's all in cabins/lodges. Sure, it's winter in WI but I would much rather see a camping or outdoor aspect to the training. But that's just me! :D

Hey, PbW! I considered going to the Lord Baden-Powell University in Camp Lake, WI this coming March. However, I had a prior commitment on that Saturday. The courses look interesting enough and I'm sure you'll learn loads of good stuff to use as a Cubmaster. But, more importantly, I'm sure you'll meet people and learn things from them that aren't necessarily presented in the courses. Likely, the people you meet here will also be moving into Boy Scouting and district level positions along with you--even if in different councils/districts.

I guess my one gripe would be that it's all in cabins/lodges. Sure, it's winter in WI but I would much rather see a camping or outdoor aspect to the training. But that's just me! :D

I forgot how close we live to each other... that's the same one I'm looking at going to. Fortunately I live about 35 minutes from there and my wife's sister lives 5 minutes from it, so I'd either go home or crash at their place. You're right though, camping would have been a nice option.

I went through the course guide and found a lot of classes I'd like to take. Unfortunately I'm planning on moving April 1st and the wife has requested I not take off for a weekend right as we're trying to do that. Looks like I'll have to wait until next year. But with two boys aged 9 and 4, and another baby due in May (don't know the gender) I'll be in scouting for enough years that waiting one won't make a big difference.

Moving AND a baby!? :eek:

Best of luck to you, buddy. Come up to Glacier's Edge Council sometime for our All-Scouter Pow Wow which is usually held in January in Deerfield, WI.

Here the link for more info:

http://www.glaciersedge.org/training/supplemental/all-scouter-pow-wow/

I usually lead one or two presentations but, as I said earlier, the best thing about these supplemental training sessions is the networking and camaraderie (commiseration? ;) ).

• 2 years later...

@@beavalo2

Yeah, for the most part, councils that do have some kind of supplemental training for Cub Scout leaders (not counting roundtable), and I've seen it called University of Scouting, Baden-Powell University, College of Cub Scouting, Pow-wow, etc.

It really depends on your council and what they call it.