Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

Hi, Daped01, I hope you let us know how the CoH goes this evening! :D

#22 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2859 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:14 PM

The official word:

​ Thank you for your question regarding the proper times for wearing the Order of the Arrow sash. The answers to your question are on pages 57-58 of the Order of the Arrow Handbook (#34996):
“Only currently registered members of the Boy Scouts of America and the Order may wear the insignia of the Order of the Arrow.”
“The Order of the Arrow sash is worn with the official Scout field uniform or Scouting’s official adult professional dress wear (a blue blazer and gray slacks). The sash also may be worn by Elangomats who are not in uniform at an Ordeal, youth wearing ceremonial attire, and in such other instances as approved by the Scout executive.”
“The sash is worn at Order of the Arrow functions and special Scouting activities, when members need to be identified as Arrowmen rendering special services.”
Ray Capp

Mr Capp is identified by Scouting [magazine] as the National OA Chairman.

#23 Daped01

Daped01

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:17 AM

CoH went well. He decided not to wear the sash. all 7 scouts were there, and 6 of the 7 have earned a rank advancement. with the last scout close. As I stated earlier, this is a fairly new troop, with our Scoutmaster taking over late last spring. This was the first CoH for these boys since the "ship has been righted" so to speak. We had cake and lemonade afterwards and all had fun!

#24 Daped01

Daped01

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:18 AM

I shouldn't say fairly new troop. the troop goes back nearly 30 years. but in recent years membership dropped to nearly 0 and we are in the works of building it back up.

#25 hendrickms24

hendrickms24

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:53 AM

All,

I keep see people post that Scouts should be able to wear their OA sash at CoH or other big events. 

I think the Merit Badge sash is more important because it show what the scout has accomplished! 

My Son's Merit Badge sash has 43 merit badges on it which is far more then I earned (I think I earned 26 or so.)

It's looks great on him just like it does with a scout with one merit badge on his sash.

The OA sash is nice but the Merit Badge sash is far better for CoH, Eagle dinners, Flag Ceremonies, Etc.

#26 SeattlePioneer

SeattlePioneer

• Members
  • 4170 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:34 PM

Shucks,  don't let more or less pointless rules get in the way of Scouting!

I think the SM should wear the sash. 

OA has more problems than Scoutmasters interested in promoting the program.

#27 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6612 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:59 PM

I agree with @hendrickms24 (welcome to the forums by the way) in that his is a sensible interpretation of policy. If someone asks, that's about what I'd say.

But, I agree with @SeattlePioneer that an SM who goes and throws his sash on is not hurting anybody's order. Nobody would get bent out of shape.

It's just not nearly as incendiary as wooden beads! :D

#28 Krampus

Krampus

Side Kick to Nikolaus

• Members
  • 1870 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

Why have uniform guidelines? Wear what you like when you like.

#29 Tampa Turtle

Tampa Turtle

• Members
  • 2505 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:02 PM

He should pay the dues and move his membership but I'd let him wear it...

#30 MtnScouter

MtnScouter

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:11 PM

An older link, yet quite valid. 

http://blog.scouting...-their-oa-sash/

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq