Jeans as a uniforming option?

On my Philmont trek of 110 miles, there was one boy and myself that didn't get blisters. We didn't do what the SM told us to do. :)

Everyone always has the ability to make choices as they see fit. I for one choose to not have blisters and choose not to be miserably cold on a winter outing. Your mileage may vary.

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a horrible warning!"

Stosh

• Upvote 1
On my Philmont trek of 110 miles, there was one boy and myself that didn't get blisters. We didn't do what the SM told us to do. :)

Everyone always has the ability to make choices as they see fit. I for one choose to not have blisters and choose not to be miserably cold on a winter outing. Your mileage may vary.

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a horrible warning!"

Stosh

Just out of curiosity, what did you do differently than what the SM told them to do?

Just out of curiosity, what did you do differently than what the SM told them to do?

The SM told everyone to go out and buy the heavy leather hiking boots, get them wet and wear them to break them in.

I went down to the sporting good store and looked at what all the clerks were wearing having to stand and walk around on a cement floor all day long. They were a more light weight shoe that was made of artificial fabrics and didn't need any "breaking in."

The other boy that didn't get blisters followed my lead when he noticed I didn't have the heavy hikers. SM was upset because he "knew" those shoes wouldn't hold up.

Then I bought a couple of pairs of expensive poly-propylene socks and heavy wool socks. The poly would have been too lightweight for the rigors of Philmont according to the SM And heavy wool socks? Way too hot for summer Philmont!

Then on the day of hiking, I put a layer of duct tape on the ball of my feet and behind my heel. Before I went down any incline of any length, I would stop and retie my shoes after banging my heels to move my toes back to avoid blisters on the top of my toes.

Washed the salt out of the socks every night and wore the dry pair the next day.

Before crossing any creek, stopped, took off my shoes and socks, stuck the socks in my pocket, put the shoes back on. Waded through the water. Stopped, dried feet, put new duct tape on, put on socks and shoes, shaken out best as could be done, and was back on the trail.

SM complained the whole time about how slow I was on the trail. He also complained about blisters all night long as everyone else commiserated about their bleeding blisters.

I have flat feet (military 4-F) bad enough to keep me out of the Vietnam War in 1968, so you know they're bad. And yes, my feet hurt bad because I didn't have the proper arch and ankle support. But they rested up pretty well each night for the next day. 9 days of hiking, maybe I would have lasted but maybe one or two more days, but I did okay with the 9.

There were a few other things the SM and I didn't see eye-to-eye on, but I did better than a lot of the other boys. When climbing up the back side of Baldy, I cheated. Instead of climbing on hands and knees straight up the slag pile like I was supposed to, I found a switchback trail and walked up instead. I was the first to reach the top of Baldy in my crew. I don't suffer slack-jawed fools well. :)

Stosh