Photo
- - - - -

Who Among Us Wears a Smokey Bear/Campaign hat?

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#81 blue_beaver

blue_beaver

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:37 AM

I've been with Scouts for 11 years, just finished Woodbadge got my Beads and said to myself, it's time. I guess once that commitment is made and completed you have the connection your looking for to know what it means to ware the Campain Hat.

Only problem is now I can't find the hat press / holder anyplace ... anyhow. It was a crisp $100 bill well worth it :)

Plus I now have something to hand down to my son.

#82 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

part Latino, part Scottish ... get it?

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:11 PM

Wow ... what I day I just had.

Today, as it happens, is my birthday. I woke up in the morning, and found banners and balloons all over my front yard, which was a total surprise. Then this afternoon, I found out who put them there, for I answered the doorbell to find three of my little Webelos friends at my door singing Happy Birthday in big loud voices! I welcomed them in with their mother and gave them some cake ...

and then they pulled out the card.

And inside that card was a gift card, a gift card to the Scout Store to the amount of $100, which I was expressly commanded to spend, not on supplies the Den (which of course I would have done sans commandment), but rather on a brand-new Campaign Hat. Not only that, but they had been saving up for the past three months to get it for me, and once they got to $50, their parents pitched in the rest.

I am so touched by this I still can hardly believe it. But there is the hat right there on my hatstand, glorious in its awesome splendor. I shall never wear it without being deeply moved by the kindness of these little guys; I never realized just how beloved a leader could be, and I am still somewhat unsure if they got the right guy, lol. But what a day! And what a wonderful story to come with a wonderful hat; the love of these boys will be with me far longer than even a hat as well-made as this will be. I am so grateful to be a Den Leader to these fine young men.

There is no such word as "Webelo." 

The only proper singular of Webelos Scouts is ... WEBELOS SCOUT!  

#83 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:13 AM

"AWESOME! TOTALLY AWESOME!"

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

#84 pchadbo

pchadbo

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

Now, THAT is a paycheck worth worling for!

#85 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6705 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:08 PM

Happy Birthday, survival is a good thing!

Especially if it comes with a wide-brimmed hat!

#86 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:38 PM

Here it is! I couldn't wait to throw on the full uniform, so here is the hat at least. It's a perfect fit too; I am so excited to wear this to the next pack meeting!

a66f5d71-0dab-4fa3-aa5b-429af7fec5df_zps

Edited by The Latin Scot, 07 December 2016 - 02:59 PM.

#87 MyIndianNameIsSpoon

MyIndianNameIsSpoon

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:09 AM

Follow up question to the Campaign hat thread - anyone know why National Supply decided to stop selling replacement hatbands and straps for these hats? I have a few of them, and would like to spruce them up and award them to deserving scouts. As I understand it, though, sometime in 2014 BSA stopped selling them.

My guess is that they felt they were undercutting sales of the $99 hats; that may be, but seeing as the hat itself can be pretty durable, it seems that the intent is for me to toss my perfectly serviceable hat, just because I cannot replace the band. 

Well, actually I can - one scouter buddy had someone on etsy make one for him, so there's a workaround. Would rather pay BSA for it, though, to help the program.

Thoughts, anyone?

#88 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:29 AM

I have thought of this very problem actually; I know that my hatband enjoys flying off the hat when I am running around with the Den and I am considering sewing or gluing it in place so that I don't lose it. I was wondering if they sold spares through supply; sadly now I know.  :(

I will say that if you add the first-class emblem to the front (the large golden pin still sold in Scout Stores), then even without the hatband it keeps the hat from looking boring at least. I personally use the round universal emblem pin; I like it a lot. I will say this for sure - those are DARN LUCKY SCOUTS who receive campaign hats as gifts!

#89 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

I don't know why they quit, but I am going to take a guess. Folks were buying the replacement parts and putting them on USGI surplus hats. While I do not have the BSA hatbands, I do have the BSA chinstraps on my two smokeys. And before anyone cries "foul," both smokeys were issued to me by my council. One issued upon completing Brownsea 22, the second upon staffing  JLTC.

#90 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

OK found a place for replacement chin straps https://www.stratton...e-Leather-Strap

Ebay may help for hat bands. here is one http://www.ebay.com/...0488&rmvSB=true

Another option would be to make your own replacement band.

http://www.hobbylobb...ar-Kit/p/142068

#91 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2883 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

As a scout, it was the red baret, until our troop pitched in an ordered ball caps with our #s on it. Until then, or SM never wore a hat. In Western PA, don't recall seeing many campaign hats in the '70's and '80s. In high school I picked up a wide-brim felt hat from a truck stop in TN, for its two features. One: its look was more mountaineer than cowboy (living in Steeler country, that was an important distinction). Two: at size 13, it fit perfectly, which was a rare find among headgear. I did not wear that so much for scouting as I did for show (square dances, in particular), but later realized it did a purty good job deflecting the rain off my back -- so from college and beyond it became my go-to headgear for hikes in the woods. The kids found it to be irresistible, and it didn't survive them! So, when they finally grew out of stealing dad's clothes for "dress up", I started looking, and for $35 found me a wide-brimmed leather hat not far off from Headgehog's description. It has a nice braided band for sticking feathers in, and endures my kind of scouting. So, it gets worn with my field uniform. I think a campaign hat would have been in shreds 2-3 times over by now. But truth be told, I've never hiked with a scouter who would wear one through our laurel thickets to know for sure. ;)

SIZE 13 !?  7 7/8 is the largest size I can find- 24 7/8" circumference.  

#92 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

Ya know, these hats aren't meant for real bears, they just call them Smoky hats because of the National Forest Service,  Jus' sayin' guys!

#93 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2883 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Without applying any science, I suspect the Baseball cap is less objectionable for Scouts than the beret, Garrison Cap, or Campaign Hat that preceded it.

BSA could come up with a more practical cap:

Finn%20M65%20Field%20Cap_zpslzce4sbm.png

(Finnish Field Cap)

Maine%20Hunters%20Cap_zpsomb9131i.png

Maine Hunter's Cap

#94 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

If memory serves, National did make something like mainhunter's cap once upon a time. I think there is a pic of one in my old field book.  Gonna have to pry it from middle son's hands.

#95 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

I'll take a pass on the Finnish Field Cap, looks like the military field cap of the German forces during WW II.... Oh, wait, it is.

#96 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2883 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

The enemy of my enemy, Stosh.  What fascinates me is that Stalin stopped at the border he had conquered from Finland in 1939 instead of rolling over Finland as he had Germany's other allies.

Found the wool cap on p, 23 of the 1948 Field Book.  The ear flaps tucked inside the hat.  Still, better for cold weather.

#97 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6705 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:44 AM

I'm quite sure the truck stop gift shop of 35 years ago did not calibrate measures with the Internet.

#98 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

Didn't Elmer Fudd start the fad in 1937?
https://s-media-cach...59c8dc392fe.jpg

#99 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2883 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

I'm quite sure the truck stop gift shop of 35 years ago did not calibrate measures with the Internet.

The Internet didn't create hat sizes.

Known Head Sizes of a Few Historical Men:

Chester A. Aurthur  7 1/4
Winston Churchill    7 1/8
Dwight D. Eisenhower 7 1/8
Henry Ford  6 7/8
President H.U. Grant  7  3/4
Abraham Lincoln   7 5/8 

Edited by TAHAWK, 06 March 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#100 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

One cannot go by the hat size to insure it fits, one also has to take into consideration head shape in a full brimmed hat like the campaign hat.  A person with a oval head will distort the brim of a round formed hat so that the front and back will dip depending on how much pressure is put forward and backwards on the hat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq