Photo
- - - - -

Who Among Us Wears a Smokey Bear/Campaign hat?

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#61 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

If no one is worried about the boys wearing non-uniforms as uniforms, why would anyone worry about the campaign hat was a knock off for $30 or BSA official at $100?

#62 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2883 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:53 PM

Hats are optional.  

Have not seen knockoffs only military and LEO surplus.  

Who's worried?   :o

#63 AirbornChaos

AirbornChaos

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:04 AM

So, I have a question.  I want to wear a campaign hat while in uniform.  But sitting here in Phoenix, at 6:30AM, it's already 90 degrees outside.  The week after our summer camp last June, we had evening lows of 102! 

I'm thinking about buying a straw campaign hat like this LEO uniform hat.  It should be cooler than the felt, but it would be obvious that it's not official. 

Thoughts? 

#64 AirbornChaos

AirbornChaos

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:09 PM

I have a question for everybody here.

I'd like to wear a campaign hat in uniform.  The problem is that felt hats are warm, and temperatures here in Phoenix top over 100 more than half the year.  So, I've been looking at this LEO straw campaign hat.  It should be much cooler, but it's also obviously not official. 

Thoughts?

#65 Chisos

Chisos

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:19 PM

First thought:  that hat rocks, go for it.

Second thought:  The "Uniform Inspection Sheet" says the troop should be uniform in their choice of headgear--it doesn't say official.  So if your troop wanted to adopt that hat, go for it.  Plenty of troops use custom printed caps and such instead of the "official" BSA caps, so using a different hat is fine.

#66 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 4033 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:08 AM

Straw campaign hat?  Isn't that the Park Ranger hat?  

#67 AirbornChaos

AirbornChaos

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:21 PM

Straw campaign hat?  Isn't that the Park Ranger hat?  

They sell a Park Ranger hat on that site.  And the model I'm looking at shows an example that's the same color, but it's offered in other colors including Forrest Green, Olive and Brown. 

#68 JosephMD

JosephMD

Chapter Adviser & Troop Committee

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:26 PM

My son wanted some publicity photos for his Webelos Mountain event.  He is running the event with his OA chapter.  The idea is for Webelos and Patrols from the district to camp together and do scout skills.

This isn't the best of photos of the bunch, but one that I was small enough to attach!

J

Attached Files

#69 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2883 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:05 AM

Nice.

#70 jr56

jr56

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

Awesome photo

#71 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:19 PM

I had one patrol adopt the BSA expedition hat as their patrol hat.  They stood out as well as the campaign hats do.

#72 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:21 PM

First thought:  that hat rocks, go for it.

Second thought:  The "Uniform Inspection Sheet" says the troop should be uniform in their choice of headgear--it doesn't say official.  So if your troop wanted to adopt that hat, go for it.  Plenty of troops use custom printed caps and such instead of the "official" BSA caps, so using a different hat is fine.

Unfortunately if it is not BSA official, it needs to be removed for flags, etc.  The choices are garrison hats, baseball, beret, expedition and campaign.  Those are the only official BSA hats.  When not in uniform, they can wear any hat they want.

#73 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2883 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:43 PM

Current uniform rules of B.S.A. for Scouts: "All troop members must wear the headgear chosen by vote of the troop/team."

Current uniform rules of B.S.A. for adults: "Headgear. Headgear is optional. Boy Scout leaders wear the olive visor cap, campaign hat, or troop-approved headgear."

#74 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

I guess that pretty much makes the official expedition hat obsolete unless the troop decides to do it as a whole.  I've worn the expedition hat for 35+ years and I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years.

#75 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2883 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:11 PM

The Handbook says to wear "appropriate" clothing in the out-of-doors.  

#76 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:56 PM

I've always felt the field uniform was appropriate.  :)

#77 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2883 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:56 PM

That is sure one option - now.  We went through decades of cotton-poly that ripped at the thought of a bramble.  It was barely adequate for ladies blouses.

If an Expedition Hat floats your boat for wear in the outdoor program, that is up you you.

#78 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:12 PM

That is sure one option - now.  We went through decades of cotton-poly that ripped at the thought of a bramble.  It was barely adequate for ladies blouses.

If an Expedition Hat floats your boat for wear in the outdoor program, that is up you you.

My uniform with a 1993 Scoutfest patch on it is a bit stained, but otherwise is in good shape. I've always done the 100% cotton shirts except for the dress wool shirt I have with my UC patch on it.  The only problem I have is the pockets in the pants, they never hold up with the keys, knife, junk I carry in them.

#79 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2883 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:04 AM

Can anyone suggest a source of sizing for a campaign hat?  I have one that is too soft to hold its  proper shape.

#80 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

part Latino, part Scottish ... get it?

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:49 PM

I am halfway towards my goal of saving up enough for a campaign hat ... I think they are so cool! And fortunately my local Scout Shop has a big enough stock of them for me to find the right size without having to guess. :-)

There is no such word as "Webelo." 

The only proper singular of Webelos Scouts is ... WEBELOS SCOUT!  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

IPB Skin By Virteq