Photo
- - - - -

Who Among Us Wears a Smokey Bear/Campaign hat?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 skeptic

skeptic

• Members
  • 1909 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:57 AM

Over the years I have found a number of real ones at flea markets for under $20. While obviously worn, they were presentable. Found a brand new one in an antique store years ago, still in its shipping box from National supply, for $25. That is the one I use most of the time, though only for formal stuff or assemblies at scout camp. Otherwise, mostly a now beatup floppy brim from an outdoor vendor with a 60's version SM patch attached to the front. The last campaign hat I bought was last February, in a press, for under $30 at, of all places, our annual memorabilia live auction. Small council with sparse attendance, so many things go for good prices.

#22 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2815 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

qwazse !! Size 13 ? ! 0___0 Size 8 is a 25" circumference head. Size 13 would be about a 45" head. No wonder you have room for so many ideas. What's your shoe size? My oldest Smokey hat still has the price tag -- $7.95. It was a gift. Faded from wear in California. Not much use here in Ohio. When it isn't raining or ear-freezing weather, it's usually too hot for a wool hat with two tiny vents, Not to mention all the "fun" time indoors.

#23 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6391 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:12 PM

Guys, I'm no expert on hillbilly hat sizing from 35 years ago. But, yes, my head is larger than most. Size 8 is snug on me but it's usually because my head is not as oval as most hat holes! It takes years of trying on lots of models to find one to suit.

#24 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2815 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

Probly' still has all his hair. )-;

#25 JasonG172

JasonG172

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:37 AM

I would LOVE TO !!!! but will probably stick with the Indiana Jones style as well. My pack and troop would probably laugh!

#26 jr56

jr56

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:52 PM

I have a campaign hat that I purchased when I came back into scouting as an adult volunteer 20 years ago. Keeps the sun off my bald head, plus my neck, ears, face, and nose. My son requested one for himself when he completed his Eagle rank.

#27 Twocubdad

Twocubdad

• Members
  • 4462 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:10 AM

I wear ball caps most everywhere. I have a campaign hat I wore frequently in cubs, but not so much with the troop. I have in mind it is for formal occasions, and don't wear it out in the weather. I've got a couple Tilley's (one original and one of the new light-weight hats) I wear on outings when I need a real hat.

#28 mgood777

mgood777

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:40 AM

I never owned a hat from the Boy Scout National Supply until I went to Wood Badge where we had to wear them.

I always have baseball cap type hats from various camps or troops or events I've been part of. I wear them to keep the sun off my nose and out of my eyes If I'm going to be outdoors.

If we're getting really rough, backpacking or canoeing or other activities likely to mess up whatever you bring, I have a very old, disreputable looking troop cap left over from the eighties (formerly red, now faded pink). It has a lot of miles on it.

If I'm going to be mostly indoors, I don't even bring a hat.

#29 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11965 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:14 AM

I go back and forth with the expdition hat and the campaign hat.  Just depends on my mood for the day.  Both have wide brims all the way around.  Protect nose, eyes, ears and neck.  The expedition hat has more history.  Branded Philmont Y2K and 100th Centennial Jamboree.

Stosh

Edited by jblake47, 05 April 2015 - 02:14 AM.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#30 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

I have a modified hat. Not campaign style, not Indian Jones. Have an Akubra hat like this one. Been through rain, snow, fog, high mountains, river valleys, the heat of Egypt and a Temple of Doom. Works great. Had it 10 years.

Attached Files

#31 packsaddle

packsaddle

• Moderators
  • 8682 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

In cool weather I wear an inexpensive (about $20) leather hat by Minnetonka. It's been all over the world and looks it. An airline pilot once offered to trade (I suspect it was a joke). I declined.

I also have several inexpensive (less than $10) straw hats, same style as the leather one, broad brim, that I use in the tropics. They ventilate nicely, keep the sun off, and best of all, they're cheap. One I leave in the Caribbean for my next return. And I travel with a potential replacement, just in case rats have made a nest out of the one I left. They last about 3 years before sun, rain, and travel converts them into compost. 

Like Stosh, I despise baseball caps. They don't protect against sunburn on the sides of my face and the 'bill' is usually not long enough to do what it's supposed to do either. I have never worn a 'campaign' hat but I do have a pith helmet from who-knows-what source...I can't remember how I got that thing...even worse than the baseball cap.

The best hat of all that I have is a Cricket Hat that I picked up on one of the islands. It has a really, really broad brim and it does everything needed quite well. But it's only stylish when standing with the other team members. http://www.worldcric...g_Chappell.html

#32 skeptic

skeptic

• Members
  • 1909 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:50 AM

Well..................

Attached File  Smokey 2 Apr 11 2015.jpg   230.75KB   1 downloads

#33 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1539 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:55 AM

I wear military surplus boonie hats in the backcountry. Mostly ballcaps at Summer camp or the like. 

#34 LeCastor

LeCastor

• Moderators
  • 808 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:01 AM

I wore my Smokey/Campaign hat this past Saturday for an event that our JASM prepared for our youngest Patrol.  It was a combination orienteering/first aid event where the PL was given a map of the area and coordinates to the location of a "mass injury event."  The Scouts were instructed to do triage when they arrived and then get work with the necessary first aid for each "victim," which happened to by members of our Venturing Crew.   :D

Oh, about the hat, it was very helpful because it was sunny day and it kept the glare down and kept my face and neck protected.

LeCastor

#35 berliner

berliner

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

I love my Smokey  :D I splurged and spent the 120$+ on the hat, pins, strap, shipping ... then got a rain cover from a cowboy store  :o  

Started making myself a nice press too. My parade hat  :cool:

Very rare in Europe, I took it along to New Zealand as well, where it is still in storage  :unsure:  

As a Cub and Boy Scouts in the 80s I had the baseball caps, still have them  :)  

On hikes I wear black or o.d. boobie hats, or watch caps when it gets cold. 

Oh and my boys told me I am not a Drill Instructor ... just to remind me ...  :rolleyes:  

Oh and 7 5/8 on the hat, 13 on boots ... 13 hat size? r u srz  :blink:

#36 garayg

garayg

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:05 AM

Wearing a Campaign hat at more formal events like a camporee, jamboree, or even a court of honor is nice- looks sharp and traditional. But for backpacking and extreme outdoor activities (long hikes, rappelling) I think I prefer a military boonie hat. And for those who have heart attacks when they see cammie colored stuff on scouts, they do have these in OD Green which matches well with the scouting colors. For Cub Scouts, they also come in dark blue. We used these when I was a cub master in Ecuador- where the sun can be brutal.  They're cool, crushable, look good- retain their shape, are not expensive, are durable, and most of all, provide protection from the sun- all the way around so you don't get sunburned ears. - My 2 cents. 

#37 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:29 AM

And for those who have heart attacks when they see cammie colored stuff on scouts, they do have these in OD Green which matches well with the scouting colors.  

The Scout uniform is based on military field uniforms of that era, so folks really shouldn't be stressed about that. If they are might I suggest a tour through the Scouting lore materials. ;)

#38 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2815 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:14 PM

The OD arrived when, during WWII, it was the only material readily available to BSA (which got special dispensation under rationing rules due to "war service.").

I know some Scouters go nuts over camo.  Not my cup of tea, but there surely must be somethings more important to worry over.

#39 cchoat

cchoat

District Commissioner

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

Down here in the south, the weather really doesn't go well with the felt hat.  However I do own and wear an official expedition hat with the Scouter pin on front when the weather is just right.  I rock that with an A12 USAF leather aviator jacket complete with a custom name tag that under my name reads "Scoutmaster  BSA" 

Now if only I could get away with a whip at camp...

"Let not the uniform police get you down."

#40 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11965 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:36 PM

Down here in the south, the weather really doesn't go well with the felt hat.  However I do own and wear an official expedition hat with the Scouter pin on front when the weather is just right.  I rock that with an A12 USAF leather aviator jacket complete with a custom name tag that under my name reads "Scoutmaster  BSA" 

Now if only I could get away with a whip at camp...

Okay, I'm game..... isn't the expedition hat felt, too?  :)    It doesn't have the vent holes, is darker to absorb more solar energy than the vented, tan campaign hat.  I prefer the campaign hat in the summer and the expedition in the winter.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq