How much money in the Troop Treasury?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1539 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:23 PM

I think Alex has summed up my opinion nicely.

#22 bluecat

bluecat

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

I haven't visited this site in ages...I thought I'd share what happened to my issue , 2.5+ years later.  (Read the above, if you are interested.)   My boy is now recently "graduated" from the troop and I am essentially out myself...just dabbling....

Here's what transpired since November 2014:

-  We tried our darndest to grow the troop.   We did flyers, an open house, visits to cub packs, and so on.   We had the inklings of success when the troop got about 5-7 new scouts from a pack.   To be honest, they had a leader amongst them (a dad) with a strong personality that they all liked to follow.  He chose our troop with an eye on becoming our new SM.   

- The existing SM did not understand that the new guy had his eyes on the crown and, in any case, wanted to stay on and was oblivious to the situation.  Too bad for all of us, as it would have been a good way to ensure the future.  (Old guys sometimes need to give way!)

-  An avoidable error then happened at a scouting event and all the new scouts subsequently left the troop.   

-  So: the 12 or so scouts that we built up to slowly but surely wore down to just a handful.

-  The money we had in excess was slowly used up for special outings and for subsidizing events.

-  The idea (stating the thread above) of starting a feeder cub pack was mentioned but never seriously considered.   (It's one of those ideas that sounds great until you realize you don't have the people interested enough to implement it.)   The DM was absolutely zero help.   (A look at her linkedIn page is quite illuminating as it barely speaks of her scouting accomplishments, other than her fundraising skills.)

-  No one even talks about recruiting anymore.  There is still too much money in the treasury but it is now it's an issue for the remaining parents.  

I wish this particular story had a happier ending.   To be optimistic, the story is not over yet and the troop may survive yet!

#23 F-P

F-P

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:46 PM

An avoidable error?  What happened?

#24 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11965 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

Inquiring minds want to know!   :)  Don't leave out any of the tasty tidbits of gossip and like all gladiatorial WWE events, if there's blood we want to see it.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#25 bluecat

bluecat

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

Sorry, not going to go there.   Suffice it to say, some families were displeased.

#26 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11965 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:37 PM

My comments were sarcasm, thanks for leaving it lie.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#27 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6385 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for the update.
SM's who overstay their position miss out on all manner of opportunities.
Hopefully there are other, wiser troops in your district.

#28 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for the update.
SM's who overstay their position miss out on all manner of opportunities.
Hopefully there are other, wiser troops in your district.

Our very popular SM is stepping down. His reason: Time to leave (fade in to the background) and let someone new take over. He's been fading in to the background since spring to let the new SM gradually take over. In September he will officially step down but by that time he will have transitioned all duties. He plans to stay away through December so the guys can get fully used to the new SM. He said, "If the boys don't miss me, we've done our job as adult leaders. It's not about us, it's about them."

#29 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11965 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:41 AM

When I was in the ministry it was an unwritten rule that when a pastor retires, he does NOT stay with the congregation, he moves his membership elsewhere.  There are too many people who will still look to him for pastoral services which is a great dis-service to the new pastor.  I served in congregations that did not follow that policy and it created quite a bit of friction for everyone.

The classic example is where a pastor founded a new congregation and served his entire ministry there and retired as the chaplain of the local hospital.  He lived to be 104 years old and 40 years after he retired it I was called to serve there and it was like the guy left the day before I arrived.  Not good.  The pastor who followed right after him said he stayed 3 years and then spent the next 25 years at the state mental hospital.  He didn't very often mention it was as a chaplain.  It distracted the story.  :)

It does no one any good to continue to hang around.  In my second troop, I took over as SM and the former SM stayed on as the CC to "help out".  He did understand the problems with such a setup and did not attend meetings or outings and refused to interact with the boys in the troop other than as CC.  It worked out well and we are still good friends to this day.

Stosh

#30 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

Our very popular SM is stepping down. His reason: Time to leave (fade in to the background) and let someone new take over. He's been fading in to the background since spring to let the new SM gradually take over. In September he will officially step down but by that time he will have transitioned all duties. He plans to stay away through December so the guys can get fully used to the new SM. He said, "If the boys don't miss me, we've done our job as adult leaders. It's not about us, it's about them."

This is a great approach. 

To be honest, after a while (several months) I would have no problem of him fading back in. We had a former SM take a similar approach. He spent several months "in exile" and then returned about 10 months later to camp and help out. The kids by then had fully accepted the new SM and were fully engaged with him.

The former SM would help as needed, then spend some much deserved time breaking in that new hammock. ;)

#31 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1783 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:33 AM

Our old SM finally retired.Honestly he should have retired a few years back as his health has been failing for some time now. But the COR/CC would not agree with selecting the current SM because he was no longer active with the church since getting married. Between the old SM's wife, and our past IH stepping in, we got a new SM.

Our challenge is the old SM is addicted to Scouting. He is on the committee, and attends meetings regularly. The troop was using his property to camp so that he could "still be somewhat involved." But after the accident he had getting the campsite ready, we are not going there anytime soon.

Wife told me that is now I am going to be when I get that age.  I hope I know when to call it quits.

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

#32 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

Wife told me that is now I am going to be when I get that age.  I hope I know when to call it quits.

As our District Commissioner always says, "Retired unit leaders are always welcome on district committees." ;)

#33 fred johnson

fred johnson

• Members
  • 1473 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

The money we had in excess was slowly used up for special outings and for subsidizing events.

That was the right decision.

#34 frankpalazzi

frankpalazzi

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:34 PM

I've said it before. and I'll say it again.

Raise what you need.

Spend what you raise.

End of discussion. Pretty simple.

Edited by frankpalazzi, 06 July 2017 - 11:48 PM.

#35 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

Good accounting, reporting and auditing is even simpler.

#36 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11965 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:42 AM

The money raised is of no value in the bank.

Stosh

#37 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:26 AM

The money raised is of no value in the bank.

But it is of value in emergencies where taking advantage of a discreet amount of savings allows the unit to purchase that new gear that just went unexpectedly on sale, that Philmont slot that opened up at the last minute or that unexpected expense of replacement (of gear or such) due to an act of God.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Personal Mgmt even teaches us to save and invest wisely, keep good records and audit to maintain credibility. It does NOT teach us to live paycheck to paycheck.

#38 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:17 AM

@backpack is right. A Scout being thrifty does not mean existing without savings from which to draw. In fact, that is very prudent assuming -- as he points out -- that there are controls in place to monitor account. 

Funds have been pilfered during fundraising events, so not keeping a savings account does not guarantee the money raised isn't being funneled in to some committee person's personal bank account. 

Good financial controls are always a smart idea.

#39 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11965 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

A

But it is of value in emergencies where taking advantage of a discreet amount of savings allows the unit to purchase that new gear that just went unexpectedly on sale, that Philmont slot that opened up at the last minute or that unexpected expense of replacement (of gear or such) due to an act of God.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Personal Mgmt even teaches us to save and invest wisely, keep good records and audit to maintain credibility. It does NOT teach us to live paycheck to paycheck.

A small contingency fund for emergencies is not the same as literally thousands of dollars in a CD account.  The rainy day these people are holding out for would be a major hurricane or massive multiple tornadoes.  The point being, there are many Cub Scout units out there with huge balances in the bank.  I know this because the Cub Pack I worked with in the early 1990's had over $5,000 in their "savings" account.  The troop I was ASM for for 13 years averaged between $8,000 - $10,000 in their CD account.  This is why people have insurance.

Stosh

#40 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

@Stosh, if that troop owns a trailer, then 8-10k is a drop in the bucket to purchase a new one. If it needs an emergency fix, that money would go pretty fast.

I agree that there's a limit to the amount a unit should hold in savings, but that will differ from troop to troop. But to say that ANY savings is a bad idea is simply not true for most units.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq