Whither the Boy Scout Uniform?

So if you think the field uniform is the dress uni' date=' what in the blue blazers do you think the blue blazer is? ;) In general, when I think "field" I'm thinking parade, flags, and such. When it comes time to play British bulldog, cook, or tend fire, the tan shirt comes off, and IMHO, each patrol should have it's own t-shirt design, although there could be a standard issue which would have ink-pressed patrol name and patch.[/quote']

In 10 years of Scouting I've never actually seen the blue blazer dress uniform.

I have said before that I always wear the field uniform ("Class A") when camping, hiking, and service. Getting it dirty is not a worry of mine. I've heard the argument that it's expensive but as a thrifty Scout or Scouter, you can eventually afford to buy a field uniform for the field and a field uniform for the Court of Honor. If my uniform and red jac-shirt don't smell like smoke I'm not doing it right...;)

I think the Centennial nylon shirt is comfortable and cool enough in the warm temps, and I don't mind the nylon zip-off pants. However, the fact that there's canvas pants with cotton shirts and nylon pants with nylon shirts just makes it--as many have said--anything but "uniform".

Sentinel, I don't think wearing your uniform makes you give up your individuality. There are many other ways to show that than in the clothes you wear.

For scouts, just a functional, full size, square troop necker and a scout baseball cap. Rank can be on slide (woggle) and POR on cap. Troop performance (wicking) t-shirt. Merit badge sash. No special uniform shirt, pants, belt, or socks. Done.

For SM, ASM's, just a full size, square troop necker and a Smoky campaign hat or ball cap. Troop performance (wicking) t-shirt.

MIght go along with a "utility belt" which had a first aid kit, cellphone/tech.

Made in USA.

Thrifty, simple, fun. For those who want a military-like uniform, there is CAP, Young Marines, JROTC,,.

My $0.02

• Upvote 1

Looking at 100 years of uniforming, I like a couple of things over the years that have come and somewhat gone.

The original BSA uniform was a shirt and tunic coat. That allowed the coat to be taken off when warm and put on when cold. Collar brass and hat brass identified the uniform and rank. Shirt basically didn't have rank because it was on the hat and tunic.

Leg wrappings kept the pants protected in heavy brush and kept the ticks out. They could be replaced cheaper than pants.

Square necker was functional.

Full-wide brimmed hat was functional.

Wool was eventually replaced with heavy cotton which didn't always look as sharp as the wool, but was heavy-duty enough to take the rigors of outdoors.

Eventually fabrics became more and more "livable" but outdoors impractical.

Now people want both looking nice and durable. Well, the only uniform over the years that fit that bill hasn't been around for over 100 years. I wore my reproduction uniform last fall camporee. Temperature ranged from upper 60's to just below freezing. I was comfortable throughout the weekend. I did cheat a bit in the morning in that I wrapped myself in a wool blanket until I got the fire going and the coffee pot on. :)

And one after-thought. Wool is naturally flame retardant. whereas some of these new uniforms with synthetic blends are actually quite dangerous around the campfires. I still wear my wood jac-shirt around the fires because of this. I have a burn hole that went all the way through my jac-shirt because a boy tossed a log on the fire to make the sparks fly. I hate to think what that would have done to my arm had I been wearing a nylon coat.

Yes, it's quite warm in the summer, but I put my jac-shirt on more for protection than warmth or to look nice.

Just remember, the original military uniform of the BSA was not intended to be an indoor uniform, things change over the years and now the uniform tells the tale of the program today. The uniform is not meant for outdoors. That ought to tell everyone something.

Stosh

• Upvote 1
The uniform is far from uniform with all the variations. I still see old timers wearing the tassles in their socks. I disagree with going away from uniform pants. IMO jeans' date=' basketball shorts, etc... look second rate and detract from the purpose of wearing a uniform at all.[/quote']

Agreed.

And to build on the earlier comment that they should instead create some standard colors for wear. Just as bad. It will never be uniform. It sorta kinda works with dress blue pants for school uniforms, but when you start talking more outdoor rugged stuff, it'll never look right, even IF it were possible to get the same color..... yours will have different cargo pockets and mine will have a different sheen of material.... etc.... not uniform and it will look hodge podge.

With the exception to perhaps not being able to get some super large sizes or something, I personally don't understand the mass fear of uniform pants.

Remove the bling. Make them for the boys, not the adults. Shirt cost is $10. There's a summer and winter weight/material. It needs a US flag, the world crest, and something that says BSA. There is no need for troop or council patches. No pockets, epaulets or collar. Patrol, rank, POR, and OA are pins that go on one, removable thing that easily attaches. Keep the necker. Zippy cargo pants are fine, but make them simpler and cheaper. Kids grow and get dirty, adapt.

Remove the bling. Make them for the boys' date=' not the adults. Shirt cost is $10. There's a summer and winter weight/material. It needs a US flag, the world crest, and something that says BSA. There is no need for troop or council patches. No pockets, epaulets or collar. Patrol, rank, POR, and OA are pins that go on one, removable thing that easily attaches. Keep the necker. Zippy cargo pants are fine, but make them simpler and cheaper. Kids grow and get dirty, adapt.[/quote']

I think there is a need for troop numbers and patches.

As a cub scout my son got lost at a council wide event. having his pack number helped immediately. Troop / pack numbers are needed when dealing with district or higher events. As yopu go to jambo / world events you need these unit identifiers more. not for the scout but for the leaders knowing which kids goes where.

The uniform is far from uniform with all the variations. I still see old timers wearing the tassles in their socks. I disagree with going away from uniform pants. IMO jeans' date=' basketball shorts, etc... look second rate and detract from the purpose of wearing a uniform at all.[/quote']

And yet the laws of war to this day recognize a common "distinctive sign" as a "uniform." Think of everyone wearing the same hat, scarf, or a sprig of green foliage.. The goal is for everyone to be wearing something obvious and common to all. BSA does not provide for meeting that standard. "What of the necker?" you might ask. It need not be used at all, and if used there is allowance for individual differences within a troop.

Clearly there is more or less in this as in other things.

I simply think that actual uniformity in the shirt, necker, and hat would be a great improvement over the motley we have now.

Having Scouted in the age of rank pins on shirts, I can tell you that pins and boys playing result in holes torn in the shirt and lost pins. (Unless you have the kid we did who could seemingly find anything lost outdoors. Yet his mom insisted that he constantly lost school books.)

IIRC our Canadian brothers use neckerchief slides for badges of office. Add a WB-like thong and the slide stays put.

Puttees, Stosh? Really? Makes a good place to tuck your spoon, but otherwise ?

Puttees, Stosh? Really? Makes a good place to tuck your spoon, but otherwise ?

Can't remember the last time I picked off a tick and with our area infested with Lymes, that's a good thing. I really don't like the idea of dousing myself with Deet either. Wild raspberries, hawthorn, buck thorn, wild roses and such really take their toll on the legs, extra few layers is really helpful. It might look a bit weird, but I'm wearing the same pants I bought when I first started as an ASM (1993). The leggings prolong the life of the material, The cotton leggings might be a bit warm in the summer, but 3-4 weeks of poison ivy rash vs. looking a bit dorky? I'll take dorky, thank you very much. :) One has to be really careful taking off the leggings after being in poison ivy territory and be sure to wash really well before using again.

There's a reason why the soldiers of WW I and II had leggings.

Depending on the area I am hiking in, I have also been known to wear the leather. They are hot, they are uncomfortable, but once it was worth it when I took a timber rattler strike and he just bounced off. There are a lot of timber rattlers in our area and I happened to step on one before he had a chance to rattle. After that I am a bit more cautious in snake country and don't always wear the leather as much.

And I never thought to use it to hold my spoon. :)

Stosh

• Upvote 2