Host site for Troop management website

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 yummy_beatles

yummy_beatles

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:07 PM

Hey all - I have recently been looking into getting our troop a website that is easy to manage, and is able to let fees be payed, let people know when and where campouts and other activities are, etc. I looked at Teamsnap, because it seems like the perfect option, but our troop doesn't have the finances to pay for it. Any ideas?

#2 fred johnson

fred johnson

• Members
  • 1249 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

My favorite so far ...

http://soarol.com

#3 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2092 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:49 PM

Hey all -
I have recently been looking into getting our troop a website that is easy to manage, and is able to let fees be payed, let people know when and where campouts and other activities are, etc. I looked at Teamsnap, because it seems like the perfect option, but our troop doesn't have the finances to pay for it. Any ideas?

Try troopwebhost, but it's about $100 a year. You can set it up to allow payment by paypal. That said, it can also do advancement, etc.

#4 meschen

meschen

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

My favorite so far ...

http://soarol.com

Seconded

#5 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2092 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

Troopwebhost does most of what soarol does, and also replaces troopmaster.

#6 yummy_beatles

yummy_beatles

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

Most of these look like they are actually more money than teamsnap. I take it nobody knows about any free services?

#7 packsaddle

packsaddle

• Moderators
  • 8682 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:11 PM

Free? A paper notebook and a some pencils are fairly inexpensive. Plus it still works when the power is off..

#8 KenDavis500

KenDavis500

SM

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

We're using google sites. It is free. The Scouts made their own website using the templates and some html. It's possible to pay via Paypal but we don't have that set up currently.

#9 PennStateScouter

PennStateScouter

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

Check out www.trooptrack.com. It is not free but it will do everything that you are looking for and more. I really don't think you are going to find what you are looking for free.

#10 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2092 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:56 AM

Most of these look like they are actually more money than teamsnap. I take it nobody knows about any free services?

Well, the free teamsnap doesn't have what you need. To do online paying with teamsnap, it's $7.99 a month, which is $95.88 a year, about the same as Troopwebhost ($99), but you'd have to configure it more to work with scouts.

#11 Basementdweller

Basementdweller

• Members
  • 5173 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:33 PM

Yep you can do your own thing using the tools google provides for free. The cost is the time invested to figure out how to make it work for you. Google drive provides all the spreadsheets, documents, you need to run a unit Google site or groups provides the website and google plus is the social media connection. gmail for group emails. $100 a year for Troopwebshost is a bargain over spending hours developing your own program.

#12 Daped01

Daped01

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

Has anyone used OurGroupOnline? it is a "generic" version of troopwebhost but has a template for Cub Scouts? We are currently in our free trial period. I like everything about it so far except for the advancement tracking. Perhaps I just need to figure out how to make it work for us, but otherwise I love all the options it gives us.

#13 zgeist

zgeist

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:45 PM

There IS a free option - scoutlander.com

It gets you a basic website, calendar, email broadcasting (not quite the same thing as groups) and it's FREE.

#14 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:18 AM

There IS a free option - scoutlander.com

It gets you a basic website, calendar, email broadcasting (not quite the same thing as groups) and it's FREE.

Lovely, for some reason I wanted give a "good" rep to this post and the system (or my fingers) hit the wrong button...and won't let me take it back. ;)

Ironically this happened in a technology thread. ;)

#15 zgeist

zgeist

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

Lol! So I just got a negative for doing a good deed? I'll try not to take it too hard.   :)

#16 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5341 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:48 PM

Our troop uses Scoutlander. It is ok. It is not spectacular. It sometimes seems to have a mind of its own as to when reminders are sent out and to whom, although in all likelihood that is probably human error. I don't know for sure, because the humans in question always deny it's their fault.

#17 pargolf44067

pargolf44067

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:59 AM

We use Google for our website and it has it's advantages but I am getting frustrated with maintaining it.  It is frustrating when you try and do something and they have changed the way they have you do it.  We did a survey on our website a few months ago and it worked one way.  Everyone was able to get  into it without a problem.  I tried to do a survey last week and they changed the way you have to do the survey and I had issues with some of my parents being able to do it even after I changed it to share with the public.  People have an issue getting to the pictures sometimes and they have to come up with workarounds.  The main advantage is that it is free and we have used it for several years, so I am fairly comfortable with making changes (except when they change the way you make those changes).

I am debating whether or not to change to a hosting site like Scoutlander or SOAR and potentially paying.  I am afraid if we change and we have to have people use logins, we may get usage to drop.  Has anyone used both Google and another webhosting site to be able to give me a comparison of other sites vs Google?  Also, how much usage does your website get with the security on the website?  We also like to use our website as a recruiting tool where people can see the things we have done and the security kind of foils that ability, in my opinion.  Any thoughts on that as well?

Thanks!

#18 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

I am debating whether or not to change to a hosting site like Scoutlander or SOAR and potentially paying.  I am afraid if we change and we have to have people use logins, we may get usage to drop.  Has anyone used both Google and another webhosting site to be able to give me a comparison of other sites vs Google?  Also, how much usage does your website get with the security on the website?  We also like to use our website as a recruiting tool where people can see the things we have done and the security kind of foils that ability, in my opinion.  Any thoughts on that as well?

Thanks!

We use SOAR/mytroop. My thoughts:

• Very easy to use and maintain. Templates and widgets work well. Tracking registrations, payments, etc. VERY easy.
  • Ability to secure certain pages and make other pages open.
  • Have many recurring things both events and pages. You can assign others to manage a page or a whole section.
  • Mailing lists you can create are GREAT!!!
  • Security not an issue. Initial set up means everyone needs to have an email in the system then it generates user IDs and passwords. Resetting either is easy. Reminders sent to those not using the system also easy.

I used to maintain the old website and would put 8-10 hours/week in just coding, changes, admin, etc. With SOAR/mytroop I spend about 1-2 hours/week and it is mostly organizing content or putting/taking down stuff. I could farm even that out to someone but I like that small bit of control. Sunday AM cup of coffee and I am done with my week's admin work. ;)

Oh, and I can do it on the road, so mobile access to make changes not an issue either.

#19 fred johnson

fred johnson

• Members
  • 1249 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

I'm a SOAR user and very satisfied with the tool.  But I have noticed over the last ten years, things have changed.  People don't like to sign into web sites.  As such, we also parallel the data in Facebook.  Usually one of the parents is regularly on Facebook.  If not, they can email automatically through SOAR and can access the SOAR site.  

#20 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:54 AM

We moved to SOAR in June- still waiting for the old webmaster to give me access to our domain, but we have the old site auto-redirecting for now. Took me no time to get it setup and running. We have moved most of the content over from the old site, including a decade of photos. We are about to launch online registration for trips instead of emailing PDF permission slips, and this fall we will setup the online payment for trips and dues. The whole committee is very impressed with what we are able to do for $100 a year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq