The order of things....

Let's see now....

*We start with the young, male human body, "in God's image"....

** Plain civies, whatever 's on sale, or in fashion, "within reason"... wear to school and play in the back yard, home chores....

*** So called "Class Bs".(BSA: Activity Uni).. Scout Troop T-shirt, camp sweatshirt, jeans or shorts, maybe a Scouty hat.... if on an OA project, include the Sash...

**** BSA calls it the "Field Uniform", most Troops call'em "Class As" (ordinary Troop meetings, selling Christmas Trees, parades, travel to camp.)..... Scout BSA issued Shirt, emblazoned with badges of rank, Council, Troop, Patrol, etc. positioned according to the Handbook and Guide (a blank canvas on which to display the results and earned rewards of the Scout), Scout BSA trousers (or Troop agreed upon suitable equivalents), Scout Belt (souvenir of camp? ), clean shoes or boots. Green socks?? Neckerchief and woggle, And Troop agreed upon Scout hat....

*****Class A Plus (more formal events, CoH, Church/Temple services)): Above Class A, AND Merit badge sash over the right shoulder (never on the belt).... OR OA sash instead of MB sash over right shoulder (Never on the belt), formal medals (religious award, Eagle, Meritorious)....

Various optional stuff in pockets: pocket knife, hank of cord, handkerchief, cell phone....

Adult Leaders eliminate Yoooth awards from the "Class A" uni , and to the "Class A Plus" add assorted ribbons and WB loops....

Anything else?

Insignia guide "simplified"?

There's the scout uniform and then there's not the scout uniform. The Insignia Guide tells what it is, everything else isn't.

I kinda thought that was pretty simple to begin with.

Stosh

• Downvote 1
... I kinda thought that was pretty simple to begin with. ...

Well, the handbook used to be sufficiently simple. Then there were inspection sheets that let a boy know how far off standard he was.

Then someone got the bright idea that that patches could be piled on like decals on an Indy car (as long as the belt isn't used as a sash rack ;) ), which meant the bishops of our order had to either add pages to each handbook or create an insignia guide for the priests of the order.

These priests would convey their knowledge via special dispensations (a.k.a., EDGE). Flying in the face of the gradual scale put forth on inspection sheets, some put forth the "Wear it right, or don't wear it at all." heresy. To be even "better uniformed," some troops published modified inspection sheets with greater penalty for missing items (e.g. 15% for pants, instead of the Nationally published 10%). The boys, who were never taught "reference" as the first step in mastering any skill, were none the wiser.

So, instead of pondering how to get youth to hike and camp independently, our self-appointed priests attempt to exact penance beyond the measure for each uniforming offense.

~~""What are you talking about here? ""

~~""Insignia guide "simplified"? ""

~~""not sure that's all accurate ""

Got into a discussion at the Troop about what goes where when and why.... Talked about the gradations of uniform.... How some is too much, some is not enough, how this is a "Method" toward Scouting's goals. Just thought I'd list the various permutations as I saw them and see where it went. Never meant to be absolutely "correct".

Mentioned that the uni is different around the world, that some Scouts might have only a Tshirt and Necker to label them as Scouts.

Do we wear uni stuff to other than Scout places and events? Scout ball cap? Belt? Scouty Tshirt/camp sweatshirt? Are the Switchbacks appropriate for school?

My son wore little else that the uniform shorts all summer (with the mesh liner). The attached waterproof pouch is very handy at the water park. He received lots of friendly chats from the Scout guards at Six Flags. When not at camp we went 2-3 times a week. They were my standard trunks as well but with my significantly larger mid section were not the most comfortable for general wear. My Webelos wears his cub swtichbwacks to school frequently, usually without the legs. MY scout shop has been clearancingn out the nylon switchbacks for $14 and I have picked up a few pair as they make decent cargo shorts.

It has not been called a "Field Uniform" for many years. As Stosh points out, it's "the Scout Uniform" or the "Official Uniform." Beyond that, Scouts wear "other clothing that is riight for the events of the day."

Given the realities of the old "Field Uniform," it was probably best understood as another example of that sense of humor which labels the biggest kid in class "Tiny."

Officially, there never was an "Activity Uniform" or a "Class _ " Uniform. There was, briefly, an "Activity Shirt" that was quickly gone for lack of interest.

By "many years" you mean one?

The questions are specifically referring to field uniforms (known to some by the unofficial name “Class Aâ€Â) and not activity uniforms (“Class Bâ€Â).

The term "field" is used to distinguish from "dress" uniform (i.e., the blue blazer, etc ...). THAT's what's missing from SSScout's list. :)

By "many years" you mean one?

Time flies.

I meant at least fifteen. The 11th Ed BSHB dropped "Field Uniform" in 1999 in favor of "the uniform" and "the official uniform." The 12th Edition continued that nominclature. Do lots of people in Scouting continue to use "Field Uniform"? Sure. And "Class A" as well. ^___^

The term "field" is used to distinguish from "dress" uniform (i.e., the blue blazer, etc ...). THAT's what's missing from SSScout's list. :)

A "Dress Uniform" exists only for Scouters. Scouts only have the Uniform.

But it's only an issue to the extent that it may cause confusion. A shared vocabulary helps communication. If you tell a Scout he needs to appear in "Dress Uniform," who knows what might happen. He might go out to buy a blue blazer and grey slacks. (I could lend him a tie.)