Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:29 PM
Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:04 AM
Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:03 AM
We have had some issues with our troop and donâ€™t like the direction it is heading with itâ€™s current Scoutmaster. Some other scouts have left due to various issues with him as well. We have known this SM since he was a den leader in Cub Scouts and he just rubs us the wrong way. We are in the process of looking for a new troop for our son and would like some advice on how to pick the right troop for us. What questions should we ask the prospective troop(s)?
Let your son decide where he wants to go, drive him to meetings of all the other troops in the area. Keep your mouth shut and listen to him. There is no "us" in this process. Scouting is his thing, he'll know what to ask. You're just along for the ride.
Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:54 AM
I. WELCOME TO DA FORUMS! (And yes, I'm shouting at you in a friendly, welcoming manner )
II. As others have stated, this is really you son's decision. If he is happy with the situation, then he needs to stay. If he is not, then he needs to look around.
III. Here are some questions my son asked when looking for a troop.
A. How often does the troop camp? (Son wanted monthly camp outs. I personally would look for 10-11 camp outs per year with 1-2 "other" activities (lock in, overnighter on a ship, hikes, etc.) in a camp out's place.)
B. What type of camp outs do you do? (Son wanted a variety of different camp outs. EXCEPT he didn't want family camp out ones ( don't ask).
C. Do you go to summer camp and which one? (there was a troop that would skip a year of summer camp every now and then)
D. Who runs the troop, the SPL or adults? (SPL!!!)
IV. Now I did ask a few questions mostly for my benefit, but some did relate my son.
- Does the troop have a problem with me being a committee member and helping out when I can since I am primarily a CS leader for the younger two sons?
- What type of fundraising is done?
- These questions were specific to one troop my son visited and I got a heads up to one of the troopâ€™s goals, Philmont in 2016, prior to the visit.
- If you win the : â€Philmont Lotteryâ€ for 2016, will those Scouts not able to go to Philmont still be able to do the prep trips?
- If you do not win the â€œPhilmont Lottery,â€ what is the troopâ€™s â€œPlan Bâ€ and will the younger Scouts be able to go on those prep trips?
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users