This from Bryan on Scouting

Kinda sad to see such impoverished scouts with expensive campaign hats that can't afford uniform pants.

Sorry Troop 501, no self-esteem accolades from me.

And one can drop the inappropriate desecrated US Flag from your honor guard while you're at it.

I'd rather see the boys in blue-jeans and a camp t-shirt rather than try to hype up an incomplete uniform as something to be proud of.

Stosh

Stosh. They specifically note that the hats were found at a very good price through a friendly supplier, and they have to be First Class to wear them. Secondly, the flag you seem to be referring to is the original Navy Jack, and a historical flag. This photo has a number of flags, some of which may very well be other historical flags. Using historical flags is not defamation of the standard.

Would it be better if they all were in perfect uniform, including pants? Maybe, but certainly better neat and clean than full uniforms that look like they were slept in and with neckerchiefs improperly rolled and crooked. Uniforming is a method; it is NOT, nor ever has been, required.

Stosh. They specifically note that the hats were found at a very good price through a friendly supplier' date=' and they have to be First Class to wear them. [/quote']

No rule says a TF can't wear a campaign hat. They just can't wear the FC pin on it. ...and knock off hats along with knock off shirt and pants don't make a uniform official. They might just as well go with a tan shirt and save even more money.

Secondly, the flag you seem to be referring to is the original Navy Jack, and a historical flag. This photo has a number of flags, some of which may very well be other historical flags. Using historical flags is not defamation of the standard.

Check the wording in the US Flag Code for civilians. and I do believe naval flags need a ship.

I guess if one is going to make up the rules as they go along with the BSA uniform, they might as well teach the boys that the US Flag Code can be treated with the same respect.

Would it be better if they all were in perfect uniform, including pants? Maybe, but certainly better neat and clean than full uniforms that look like they were slept in and with neckerchiefs improperly rolled and crooked. Uniforming is a method; it is NOT, nor ever has been, required.

I'm sure these boys when they aren't doing the photo op might have a few here and there that have unofficial uniforms that might look like they were slept in with neckerchiefs improperly rolled and crooked too.

They won the award for sharpest-dressed unit at summer camp. Obviously the BSA inspection sheet was ignored as well.

I don't really have much of a problem with people not wearing the uniform properly in as much as I have of those who think it's a proper message to the boys to flaunt disregard of it to the public.

My boys are expected to wear a full uniform. When they don't, they are expected to respectfully decline participation in the color guard at the flag ceremonies. When my boys are not in full uniform, i.e. even with necker and shirt, they use the civilian salute. Nothing wrong with that.

Uniforming may be just a method, but the messages we convey to the boys is core to the program. Promoting great pride in doing it wrong just doesn't cut it for me and if they were to do it right, they would not wear the uniform at all. Blue jeans and a scout t-shirt is better than what the picture depicts for me. Proper respect is a rare commodity in today's world. BSA used to be a bastion of it in the non-military world.

Stosh

Thing about the inspection sheet (http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34283.pdf). It is not an all-or-nothing. Non-standard issue pants only dock 10 points off the total inspection score.

In most parts (especially impoverished zones), 90% will get you an A.

Grade inflation. :(

Now, just require some of the patches to be worn on the back pants/shorts pockets instead of the sleeve, then you could start docking insignia points ... :p

Two years ago I had a young gal come by the house and asked if I wanted to buy Girl Scout cookies. She had on blue jeans and tank top. Nicely dressed for a teenager. I said I love GS cookies, but I was afraid I wasn't sure she was really a Girl Scout. Didn't want to get ripped off. About an hour later the same girl shows up. She has on khaki pants, white shirt, an GSUSA sash on with all the appropriate patches. I smiled and bought 5 Samoans and 5 thin mints. I'm thinking the bill came to about $75????

It is my policy that any Scout shows up at my door in full uniform gets a mega sale. Any kid standing outside a grocery store that is in full uniform and directly asks for a sale gets one, too.

Maybe it's seeing too many people trying to cut corners, that when I see someone do it right, it stands out as something special. I make sure I let them know I noticed.

Stosh

Kinda sad to see such impoverished scouts with expensive campaign hats that can't afford uniform pants.

Sorry Troop 501, no self-esteem accolades from me.

And one can drop the inappropriate desecrated US Flag from your honor guard while you're at it.

I'd rather see the boys in blue-jeans and a camp t-shirt rather than try to hype up an incomplete uniform as something to be proud of.

Stosh

I see no blue on the flag to the view er's left-front.. It could be the so-called First Navy Jack - seven red and six white stripes, a rattlesnake diagonally and "Don't tread on me." The national colors are to the right-rear.

The campaign hats at $9.99 ay nour local Army-Navy - cheaper than jeans.

Not sure if they want accolades from any of us when they have them from the B.S.A.

I like uniforms too - if we only had one (1).

I wish BSA would team up with Dickies to make uniforms. Dickies makes a tough wearing olive canvas work pant sold at Walmart for under $30/pair in the men's department. Our troop has lots of boys wear them in the fall-early spring. Cheaper than about pants and wear well and fit well (no saggy bottoms). BSA has several vendors make their uniform shorts so there is variation in size & pattern...found this out when shopping for my son's Jambo shorts last year. Ordered 4 pair of men's medium for him from scoutstuff.org - 2 pairs measured 34" waist, 1 was a 33" waist and one was a 38" waist. Hello, quality controll- seriously? Costed me $ to have them shipped when I ordered them and returned them. That was a drag. Hubby wears the dickies for work (brown), I go and pick up the same size number and they are right - one of the few things Walmart has done well!