Knee Socks With Red Tops

Remember those knee socks with the red tops? I've been checking eBay for about a year and every now and then there are some up for auction. However, they tend to sell for upwards of $40-$60! Crazy, huh? There's still some demand out there for those socks, apparently.

My Scouts laugh at me know when I wear the new knee socks but seeing the red-topped ones make me nostalgic for the '80s. That said, I can't see myself paying up to $60 for a pair! :rolleyes:

If one thinks the knee socks get a ribbing, try leg wraps that were used by BSA prior to 1940. My boys are always giving me a hard time because I use them all the time. Yes, they are warm, but I'll take the heat over the ticks any day. :) My boys quit commenting when I pull my needle nose pliers out of the leggings every time they find a tick. :) Ever wonder why the military tucks their pants into their boots? I don't. Well, unless you have boots or socks to tuck pant legs into, the leggings work great.

It's also a great way to get the boys to tuck their shirts into their pants, too.

Ticks are a wonderful learning experience for the boys. Always use visual aids. Tick + SM's pliers = lesson learned.

Stosh

Yep, if you are talking the ones with the red strip at the top, I have a box full that nobody will wear in the troop. Now if you are talking the old socks with the garter and tab, that is a different story. Harder to find, and red tabs a bit harder than green.

• 2 years later...