• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

What is the purpose of the quizzes?

To see what they have retained as part of the course.

#42 BoyLedMyEye

BoyLedMyEye

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

Do you make taking and/or "passing" the quizzes a requirement for merit badge sign off?

#43 BoyLedMyEye

BoyLedMyEye

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

On a different note.. It seems many kids today don't know how to communicate live. They text, instant message, email and tweet in 140 characters or less, almost exclusively. They seem to have almost no use for picking up the phone and making a call, resisting doing so at all costs. They use their smart-phones as everything but phones! Employers get irritated with the lack of live communication skills, and the lack of relationship building skills. Having to pick up the phone to call a Merit Badge Counselor should be highly emphasized. I would like to see the Scout calling the counselor become part of the registration process for attending MB fairs, even if only to confirm their name made it onto the counselor's list before the fair begins. That way it is not adding to requirements of any particular merit badge, but they get to practice the skill.

#44 frankpalazzi

frankpalazzi

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

"think my District Advancement Chair would side with scoutnut. He said HQ checks "funny" things with blue cards (e.g. lot's of different MBs with the same signature, too many MBs where boy's and councilor's last name match). It's not too far fetched that a registrar could check a signature that he/she didn't recognize to see, just for kicks, if the counselor ever registered with the BSA." Quayze, does your council office also collect blue cards??? Ours just enters the information into Scoutnet from the advancement reports---we keep the pink copy, and the blue cards go into a shoebox, rarely ever to be looked at again UNLESS there is an MB problem at Eagle time, and we can't find the pink sheet and have to dig out the blue card. Council only sees the blue card when there is a verification question, and then they have us file a corrected advancement report and we keep the blue card.

#45 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

Do you make taking and/or "passing" the quizzes a requirement for merit badge sign off?

It is to test their retention of the knowledge so they can demonstrate mastery of the material. We use the EDGE method when the badge is taught and where to the GTA, as well as the Guide for Merit Badge Counseling.

#46 King Ding Dong

King Ding Dong

Snack Master

• Members
  • 1382 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

St. Louis does not use Blue Cards, they are white with green or red printing about 5x6. All the same information is recorded but it has a field for the MBC ID #. Stamped with SE signature and given back to Scout.

#47 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6841 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

... Quayze, does your council office also collect blue cards??? ...

I don't think they do. But we have Eagles keep them at the ready when they bring their application to HQ. We encourage them or a parent to take their app in in person so issues like this can be addressed without any delay or middle-men.

#48 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2929 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

Is this the same as individual testing on the requirements or does it have some other purpose?

#49 Twocubdad

Twocubdad

• Members
  • 4462 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

Guys, guys, guys..... Such crazy talk here. Scouts calling counselors, knowledge retention, quizzes..... Crazy I say! Do you not all know the merit badge program is under the National Advancement Team and their High Speed, Low Drag advancement policies? Anything, ANYTHING!, which stands is the way of a Scout checking the boxes in the most efficient and minimalist way is absolutely forbidden.

#50 King Ding Dong

King Ding Dong

Snack Master

• Members
  • 1382 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

All sounds like Common Core to me. :)

#51 Gone

Gone

• Members
  • 1811 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

Is this the same as individual testing on the requirements or does it have some other purpose?

If you are implying scouts cannot be tested, all I can say is I am following #8 under Counseling Techniques in the document below. Testing is most certainly allowed. http://www.scouting..../pdf/18-125.pdf

#52 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2929 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

No, I am not implying that Scouts cannot - or should not - be tested. I was asking a question.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users