The boy scout uniform

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Oldscout448

Oldscout448

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

District and Council exeutives receive the "I cant believe they bought it" award

looks like they couldn't afford flak vests

#22 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 4057 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

I've often wondered why boys start out in cubs, having to do a relatively large amount of work just for one badge (we didn't do beads), and then the year before boy scouts, get awarded for every little thing he does. It just seems backwards. I would think the younger the boy, the more immediate rewards would be needed.

That's why the call them "immediate recognition beads". ;)

AKd: You may meet a few old timers, such as myself, who can remember making the pen holders and cork thunderbirds in the Denleaders rec room, and all we received "immediately" was a "good job!" from our mom or dad. The book got signed,, the smiles from the DL and our folks, THAT was immediate. The Arrow Points or Bear badge came at the Pack meeting two or three weeks or a month later. We were having fun and seeing the pleased look on our folks face and my dad's hand in mine was our "immediate" reward. When did a plastic bead become more important than that?

#23 AKdenldr

AKdenldr

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

I've often wondered why boys start out in cubs, having to do a relatively large amount of work just for one badge (we didn't do beads), and then the year before boy scouts, get awarded for every little thing he does. It just seems backwards. I would think the younger the boy, the more immediate rewards would be needed.

That's why the call them "immediate recognition beads". ;)

SSScout, I didn't say I liked the bead system. We used an den doodle and that seemed to work better with my scouts. I do think the pace of life is faster today and parents have a hard time zero-ing in on what is important. If some beads or stickers help today's parent focus on participating with scout or getting him to those activities, I'll all for it. In my experience it took about 5 months for a boy to earn rank in our pack. That is a long time for a 6, 7, or 8 year old boy. Arrowheads, as you know, are awarded after rank, even if previously earned.

(Are you active in a pack now? If so, there are many things that the CM can do to "tone down" excessive awards if this is a pack problem.)

#24 Pack18Alex

Pack18Alex

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

When I was Tiger Leader, I was pretty meticulous about the beads, the boys LOVED them. When we did a Go See It in Activity Shirts (once or twice), I awarded the bead at the beginning of the next meeting, then another bead at the end. One time I did two at the end (as I was getting a handle on things), it worked marvelously. I found it ridiculous, the boys LOVED IT. The new Tiger leader didn't bother with the beads, the boys are haphazard on attendance and our Tiger retention from month to month is lower than I'd expect. Young boys will sit through the most boring of meetings to earn a bead. The Wolf Year I learned that the boys start to complain of being bored in meetings... but when I remind them that we HAVE to do this to earn their next bead, they stop whining and sit attentively like life depends on it.

#25 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12463 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Pack18Alex, You are probably correct in your assessment of beads and how they affect the boys. This works well for the Cubs and accomplishes the short term desire of the DL. Well behaved boys, give them a bead. However, that process only works for a while. Next they'll want bigger and better awards for paying attention, maybe candy, or a small prize. Then it escalates to the point where in Boy Scouts, the bead at the end is Eagle. If I just keep following the process, I'll get the reward. Nowhere along the line does it create one iota of leadership or character development on the part of the boys. If they just follow directions, pay attention, and do what the leaders say, you'll get your Eagle. As a result we have seen many concerns expressed on the forum of how well that works. I would think for Tigers, it is a god-send because the boys don't know the ins and outs of the program yet, but by the time they get to AOL that system needs to be totally abandoned, maybe even by the end of the Bears year. Stosh

#26 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 2019 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

District and Council exeutives receive the "I cant believe they bought it" award

now that's just plain funny!

..... "Medals, the new armor."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users