31 replies to this topic

#21 King Ding Dong

King Ding Dong

Snack Master

• Members
  • 1378 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

Berliner,
I have been told that "English" interpreter strips have custom ordered for troops in Puerto Rico. And if it is a real language, BSA will make them. I had to custom order some for folks when I worked supply.

Anyone ever try to order Klingon or Shyriiwook (wookie) ?

#22 jpstodwftexas

jpstodwftexas

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

What about Pig Latin ;)

#23 berliner

berliner

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

Berliner,
I have been told that "English" interpreter strips have custom ordered for troops in Puerto Rico. And if it is a real language, BSA will make them. I had to custom order some for folks when I worked supply.

sorry Eagle92 but I cant believe that ... Puerto Rico is like a Colony, sort of the 51st State aye.
To my knowledge no BSA scout is allowed to wear an "english" interpreter strip as - with the exception of sign language - speaking eloquent and fluent proper english is the base requierment for being a Boy Scout in 'Merica. We had a few discussion alright but Trans Atlantic is hard on this issue. Mind you some SMs be handing the strips out while some actually demand the skills, as everywhere.

English is only my 3rd of currently 5-7 languages, depending on if starting them counts :-P

KDD - if you can run a program in fluent Vulcan or what not, why not?

#24 King Ding Dong

King Ding Dong

Snack Master

• Members
  • 1378 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

What about Pig Latin ;)

How about "BSA Speak"

#25 Bando

Bando

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

I think I have an answer. 16. There are only 16 approved interpreter strips. Might need an xxxl shirt however. :) http://www.scouting..../512-019_WB.pdf

Well, I wanted to find out the answer to specifically this question because I wanted to do an interpreter strip in a somewhat lesser-studied language. And it was on the way to something else. So... :)

It was actually pretty cool. They were doing testing on-site for a bunch of languages, things like that.

#26 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11965 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

What about Pig Latin ;)

... or how about "Spin Speak" or "Politicalese"

Stosh

#27 Eagle92

Eagle92

• Members
  • 7632 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

Berliner,

Berliner,

Person telling me this worked for supply division. It was when I had to custom order Tagalog. They said if it is a real language and not ordinarily made, they would custom make it. Gave the example of English and Puerto Rico.

In regards to Klingon, I knew a Trekie who spoke fluent Klingon and tried to use it to meet his foreign language requirement for college. Didn't happen. On a Scouting note, I've seen the joke patches for Klingon.

#28 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

part Latino, part Scottish ... get it?

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:39 PM

I was reading through old thread (so I apologive for diggin this up), but official BSA policy states that 3 is the maximum number. I wear Spanish and French, though I admit I wish I could add an Elvish patch, lol.

Hearken world, and listen up! There is no such word as "Webelo." If your son is an older Cub Scout, he is NOT a "Webelo!"

The singular of Webelos Scout is ... WEBELOS SCOUT!  That's it! Please take the extra half second and get it right! Thank you for indulging my little pet peeve!

Did I mention my obnoxious OCD?  :D 

#29 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1787 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:27 PM

I was reading through old thread (so I apologive for diggin this up), but official BSA policy states that 3 is the maximum number. I wear Spanish and French, though I admit I wish I could add an Elvish patch, lol.

At the moment, wife could, stress could, wear French and Greek strips with her vintage Den mother uniform. Won't do it because she hates tan on the blue dress. She has French on her Venturing uniform. She didn't want me to order Greek as she didn't like how the tan strip looked on the green uniform when I got it for her.

Now if they had a Quenya strip, I bet she would go for it in a heartbeat!

Edited by Eagle94-A1, 29 September 2016 - 05:37 PM.

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

#30 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

part Latino, part Scottish ... get it?

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:51 AM

Ah that's way cool; my Sindarin is better than my Quenya, lol.

Hearken world, and listen up! There is no such word as "Webelo." If your son is an older Cub Scout, he is NOT a "Webelo!"

The singular of Webelos Scout is ... WEBELOS SCOUT!  That's it! Please take the extra half second and get it right! Thank you for indulging my little pet peeve!

Did I mention my obnoxious OCD?  :D 

#31 krypton_son

krypton_son

All Around Troublemaker

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:35 PM

I think that if you're intelligent and determined enough to learn multiple languages, why not?  Besides, the strips are more of a utilitarian purpose then a decoration or award.  If someone really needs an interpreter, it's helpful to be able to see them and know that you can help.

#32 Dad2Five

Dad2Five

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:46 PM

Technically there are more than 16 official available as indicated by an earlier post. I did not find the language I needed - Papiamento - and the supply division took my order and had the strips produced for me. So don't be surprised when you see a language not previously listed...if you qualify ...and are confident enough with your translation skills to support that language ...you can get just about any real language interpreter strip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq