• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:18 PM

Fred, Usually SEs will move every three to five years. Only exceptions I've seen to that is A) It's a "Sunset position" in that it's where they want to retire for whatever reasons. One retired SE I knew grew up in the council as a youth, and moved around as a pro. His council came up, and he got it. after about 10 or 12 years, he retired and is still in that council. B) They are screw ups and are kept in a position until retirement or a national level one opens up where they cannot really screw up anything. My former SE boss was so bad, that he couldn't get out of my council for another SE position. National ended up giving him a position where he couldn't screw up any councils. C) They screw up so bad, that they need to leave. My old DFS boss eventually got promoted to SE. Within 2 years, he totally and completely screwed so bad, he resigned as SE and was demoted to a FD.

#22 chrisg478

chrisg478

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

I have been involved in Scouting for about 15 years now. I have been everything from a parent that wanted to "help" to Den Leader, Cubmaster, District Training Chair and now a Training Coordinator for 3 Districts. I am also a Wood Badger (3 times on staff) but I don't wear my mug on my belt (my pants would get wet). I have known many "Professional" Scouters over the years. Some have been really good, some have been really bad and some have been so-so. Over the years I have learned not to depend on a professional scouter for anything that I (or another volunteer) can do for myself. Currently I work closely with one of the good guys. One of the things that makes him one of the good guys is that he "gets it". He understands that Scouting is about THE BOYS. He also understands Scouting is a VOLUNTEER run organization and his job is to support me and the other volunteers he serves. He knows the importance of setting an example and understands what servant leadership is all about. And since he is one of the good guys I only ask for his help when I truly need it. We get along so well because we both respect and support each other. There are many professionals that "don't get it" or are in scouting for the wrong reasons. And being a scout professional can be a really difficult job. I would not wish that job on my worst enemy. But the success or failure of your District does not depend on your DE. It depends on the volunteers who choose to support the program and work with the DE to achieve everyone's goals.

#23 LeCastor

LeCastor

• Moderators
  • 808 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

Men of Schiff is an excellent book about professional Scouters from the early days. (Can you tell I like to read? My wife's a librarian...) There is some insight into the life of a pro Scouter in the late-70s and early-80s. It certainly doesn't sound like a stress-free gig.

One of the guys who went through Wood Badge this fall was chosen to become our new DE and I think he'll do a good job because he's been DL and knows the role of the volunteer very well. In some ways I think an outsider might be better for a DE role but in most ways I see an insider doing a better job because s/he understands what it takes to actually run the program.

That said, I wouldn't want to do it myself. :rolleyes:

#24 SeattlePioneer

SeattlePioneer

• Members
  • 4170 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

<> DEs work for the council. How does National's priorities make themselves felt?

#25 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2883 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:58 PM

<>

DEs work for the council. How does National's priorities make themselves felt?

By defining success. By training. By controlling who is available/qualified to be a SE.

#26 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:11 PM

All professional training is done via national. Weather your course is only done at the national training center, or done somewhere in the regions, it is all run through them. And as Tahawk mentioned, national will select the groups of folks that the local council volunteers will interview and select as SE.

#27 chrisg478

chrisg478

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:18 AM

I went to an Area Forum last Saturday and we discussed this topic. One of the people from National said that the average DE has less than 2 years experience in that job. He also admitted that National does a very poor job of training the new people. He claimed that National now recognizes that is a problem and they want to find a way to fix it. Any bets on how long that will take or for the local volunteer to see a difference?

#28 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2883 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

A DE with two year's service in my council would be the senior DE in the council. As a District Chairman, I once had three DE's in eleven days. One quit before her first scheduled day on the job.

#29 Kahuna

Kahuna

• Members
  • 1260 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:35 PM

Sounds like things haven't changed a bit since I was a DE in the 1970s. I also left because of impossible goals set by National for local councils. I've thoroughly enjoyed being a volunteer ever since and seldom have had to call on "council" for any help.

#30 Basementdweller

Basementdweller

• Members
  • 5173 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:52 PM

Well the New DE had a successful Fall recruitment from what I hear, Has the old fund our Salarys talks all scheduled. Got promoted and now is gone. Less than 4 months in the district.

#31 oldisnewagain1

oldisnewagain1

Browncoat

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

Sounds about right... fixed King Ding Dong's post

#32 ProScouter06

ProScouter06

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:07 PM

Well said @BadenP

#33 MattHiggins

MattHiggins

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:52 PM

Like most people here, I have been involved in Scouting from a few different angles. I was a Scout, I got involved again as a parent, quickly became a Scouter (assistant den leader to den leader, assistant Cubmaster to Cubmaster). Not the most original story. Like a few, I have worked on the professional side as a DE--thankfully only briefly.

While I love Scouting, I hated that job. I didn't care for the council management (leadership style or goal achieving methods), but I was blown away by or most disappointed with the animosity from fellow Scouters. Of course, many frustrations with council were warranted (but often Scouters would never see council actions with an open mind) and I'm sure I dropped a ball or two (who doesn't), but animosity was the default behavior from a huge number of Scouts.

As a DE, you didn't have to prove yourself a failure to be treated poorly, you had to prove yourself to be super human to be treated remotely decently. The council and DE were, in my experience, often the scapegoat. DEs are often (as in always) caught in the middle-- a nasty crossfire of blame. Charters are a perfect example.

This animosity for the professional side of Scouting was something like oral tradition. Leaders learned to hate anything council before they met anyone from council. I have to admit a quit the job because of council management. They make most DEs miserable and have an uncanny turnover rate to thank for it. And, it's not just my council, it seems to be an epidemic. That said, I have to go back to how disappointed I was in how un-Scout-like many Scouters behaved. Oh well. All I really have to say is to maybe work with a DE and not against him or her. At least treat them like you'd want to be treated.

#34 SeattlePioneer

SeattlePioneer

• Members
  • 4170 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:55 PM

This thread once again reminds me of what I have to be thankful for:

A council that is well managed and well funded.

District Executives that have consistently worked hard and with reasonable effectiveness to advance the goals and purposes of Scouting.

In the past eleven years,  we've had one DE promoted to a council fund raising position,  and later to a national BSA position.

We've also had a DE who has been promoted to Field Director in another council.

Both of those men were hard working and effective staffers.

Our current DE continues that pattern of being a hard working and effective staff member.

My heart goes out to those who aren't as lucky as those in the Chief Seattle Council.

#35 SeattlePioneer

SeattlePioneer

• Members
  • 4170 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:56 PM

This thread once again reminds me of what I have to be thankful for:

A council that is well managed and well funded.

District Executives that have consistently worked hard and with reasonable effectiveness to advance the goals and purposes of Scouting.

In the past eleven years,  we've had one DE promoted to a council fund raising position,  and later to a national BSA position.

We've also had a DE who has been promoted to Field Director in another council.

Both of those men were hard working and effective staffers.

Our current DE continues that pattern of being a hard working and effective staff member.

My heart goes out to those who aren't as lucky as those in the Chief Seattle Council.

#36 desertrat77

desertrat77

• Members
  • 2252 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:54 PM

Seattle, you are right in counting your blessings.

In our district, we have had four (4) different DEs in the last 12 months.   One didn't last a week.

Says something about the nature of the job when that happens.

Then again, it's the volunteers that make scouting happen, especially at the unit level.   Pros come and go.

#37 Krampus

Krampus

Side Kick to Nikolaus

• Members
  • 1870 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:15 AM

Never seen my DEs. Ever. Couldn't pick them out of a police lineup. For all I know we don't have any. ;)

#38 MattHiggins

MattHiggins

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:43 AM

Never seen my DEs. Ever. Couldn't pick them out of a police lineup. For all I know we don't have any. ;)

Your council doesn't require the DEs to attend Roundtables? I'd contact your council's Scout executive and ask for that to change.

#39 Krampus

Krampus

Side Kick to Nikolaus

• Members
  • 1870 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:58 AM

Your council doesn't require the DEs to attend Roundtables? I'd contact your council's Scout executive and ask for that to change.

I am not sure having him there is a good thing. Have never seen him or heard from him. If he can't bother to even communicate with his units -- especially on of his biggest units -- then I really don't care to have anything to do with him.

#40 JasonG172

JasonG172

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

In the Past year we have lost 2 DE's as well as the Field Director.  We have 5 Districts and at one point almost 2 DE's per District.  I know we are volunteers and from time to time beat up on the professionals and there are times the volunteers make the DE's look good, we all know that.  Scouting is not an 8 to 5 Job and some of the DE's believe that it is, scouting is 24/7 even for the volunteers. 

I know of 2 exceptional DE's and one just got bumped to the vacant Field Director position. 

Why don't you extend your Hand Krampus to yours.  I understand not all Councils are great and they need work and even guidance, but without them then where would we be? 

Edited by JasonG172, 29 December 2015 - 09:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq