Yes, I recall Pack starting, or taking an active role, in some similar discussions J

However, I will comment on one thing. Someone commented that after being a scouter for 10 years Wood Badge would be of no benefit, to quote Sherman T. Potter, “horse hockeyâ€Â. I asked the same question for years, and after 25 years not only leaned a few new things, and got my fires stoked again, but I also got a whole lot more efficient. I now spend 25% of the time and effort of the things I was doing before, and have a better end result.

I used to be a Bear

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have 35+ years in Scouting. WB trained in 1993 so I didn't get the 21st Century stuff. Was WB worth it? Don't remember much of it. It wasn't very memorable even at the time. However, now that t

So is Woodbadge responsible for the Prissy Troops????? I think it is at least partly responsible....   I am an advocate for Advance Outdoor skills course AOS...... To be an SM you are requ

What did I get out of Wood Badge? I made some good friends that I probably wouldn't have otherwise met. There was no earth-shattering skill that I learned that would help me in business, no particula

JoeBob, the Formin, Stormin, Formin, comment brought back a memory of WoodBadge. All the people are arrows and they're pointing every which way (formin), and they slowly align till they're pointing the same way (performin). So I asked, what do you do with 15 year olds when rather than arrows you have BBs (that aren't going in any direction)? Never did get an answer.

What you're asking is a common question among those trying to turn around a program: "I kind of know what it should look like but how do I get there? What has worked for people before me?" That's not in Woodbadge. Woodbadge is: "I have a good idea, how do I implement it?"

For people that come from a unit with a good culture, be it boy-led or a great Pack, Woodbadge is great because you can already learn how a unit should run by looking at your own unit. If you're trying to turn things around then Woodbadge doesn't give you the "vision" that they talk about. Once you get the vision you can use Woodbadge skills to implement it.

Based on what you've written, I've been there. So I came here looking for ideas and started asking questions. I tried a lot of ideas, and what I found is while a lot of ideas are really good, they make assumptions that you might not know about. For example, the first time I tried Kudu's 300' thing it failed (boy not led, adult not led, Lord of the Flies!), but now that I have the leadership and teamwork at a minimum level, 300' (separate the patrols) is working well. Regarding training, I tried ILST and my scouts slept through it and had no take home skills to handle the exact problem you mention (younger scouts that don't want to do dishes). So I took the ILST syllabus and compressed it down to 30 minutes without any exercises and then added a few hours of 15 minute exercises. Every exercise requires a team to solve a problem in 5 minutes. Members take turns being the leader for each exercise. There's time up front to let them know what the problem is and for them to plan for it, 5 minutes to do the exercise, and time to reflect on what happened. The idea is to give each scout several chances to lead. One example is make a cake batter and get it into the oven, if it's not in the oven within 5 minutes then I'd toss what they made and nobody would get the cake. About a half hour later was the problem of cleaning up. If they didn't get it done in 5 minutes then I got the cake. Talk about incentive. I found paper airplane projects on line. I had a big domino set and did some stuff with that. I took the communication exercise out of the ILST manual. I had them teach the sheep shank. I asked them to identify and call a scout that's not advancing. If the problem didn't seem too hard to do then I'd coach a scout, before hand, to be a pain in the neck. This is where scouts that don't want to clean come in. It got to the point where the scouts wanted a problem scout. Sometimes the scouts would have so much fun being the pain that I'd let it go and let them enjoy it. They had fun with it. The other thing I noticed is that it was a challenge and they were up for it. When it was your turn to be the leader everyone was watching to see how you did. This is so much better than something like the telephone game. The first time I tried this was a month ago so I'm still playing with it. I just need a lot more ideas.

As for SM time management, my first impression is that the committee, the PLC, and the ASMs should take some of the load off of you. Until I got the committee to do its job I didn't have time to do mine, which was work with the boys. I had a bullying type of issue and I talked to the PLC and asked them to handle it while respecting the Scout Law. They did a great job. I also have a PLC ranging in ages of 13 to 17. I also ask all of the scouts to nominate patrol leaders, so that's how we get the hooligans out of those positions. One subtle benefit is that it's not me telling a scout he can't be a PL, it's his peers. They're a lot harsher than I am and quite fair. That also makes me the good guy so when I suggest they work with the new scouts to gain some confidence and let everyone know they're serious, they listen.

Maybe this is another topic, but I wonder if Scouter-Terry could put a wiki on this website and get some people to start editing some of the knowledge that's here and make it easier for people like you to get to. That would help Woodbadge as a resource.

Sorry for stealing your thread, Packsaddle.

So how many boys are you planning to lose before the hooligan's rain is over....

this isn't 1920, parents and boys don't have the patience for the shenanigans of a hooligan.

We have so many adults involved who were not scouts.....I believe if the BSA truly wants Boy Led Patrol method troops it warrants a course dedicated to such.......

How many posts are folks asking how to do it???????

Added to my wish list. Thanks.

From another thread, I came up with an example of WB's indirect benefit. A scouter was trying to micromanage my youth's menu. (If you ever ate any of this young lady's cooking, you would realize how absurd that sounded to me.) After listening (just like my WB class told me) I told her as politely as I could to back off.

Her husband, having completed WB a few years earlier, told her that I was doing the right thing, and to let the youth-led menu play out.

So, I'm giving it props for securing me the best supper at that camporee!:cool:

Guess y'all now know the way to my heart. ;)

Yes, I recall Pack starting, or taking an active role, in some similar discussions J

However, I will comment on one thing. Someone commented that after being a scouter for 10 years Wood Badge would be of no benefit, to quote Sherman T. Potter, “horse hockeyâ€Â. I asked the same question for years, and after 25 years not only leaned a few new things, and got my fires stoked again, but I also got a whole lot more efficient. I now spend 25% of the time and effort of the things I was doing before, and have a better end result.

I used to be a Bear

I too did WB after many years as a Scouter. Cannot say I feel the same as you. Was a total waste of time. Did not learn anything that I had not already read or learned elsewhere. A bunch of common sense stuff in a binder that was duplicative of other stuff already received in Scouting. I found the Leader-Specific training more informative than WB. The new course is even worse I hear.

I used to be a Bear

You have been missed MB.
JoeBob, the Formin, Stormin, Formin, comment brought back a memory of WoodBadge. All the people are arrows and they're pointing every which way (formin), and they slowly align till they're pointing the same way (performin). So I asked, what do you do with 15 year olds when rather than arrows you have BBs (that aren't going in any direction)? Never did get an answer.

What you're asking is a common question among those trying to turn around a program: "I kind of know what it should look like but how do I get there? What has worked for people before me?" That's not in Woodbadge. Woodbadge is: "I have a good idea, how do I implement it?"

For people that come from a unit with a good culture, be it boy-led or a great Pack, Woodbadge is great because you can already learn how a unit should run by looking at your own unit. If you're trying to turn things around then Woodbadge doesn't give you the "vision" that they talk about. Once you get the vision you can use Woodbadge skills to implement it.

Based on what you've written, I've been there. So I came here looking for ideas and started asking questions. I tried a lot of ideas, and what I found is while a lot of ideas are really good, they make assumptions that you might not know about. For example, the first time I tried Kudu's 300' thing it failed (boy not led, adult not led, Lord of the Flies!), but now that I have the leadership and teamwork at a minimum level, 300' (separate the patrols) is working well. Regarding training, I tried ILST and my scouts slept through it and had no take home skills to handle the exact problem you mention (younger scouts that don't want to do dishes). So I took the ILST syllabus and compressed it down to 30 minutes without any exercises and then added a few hours of 15 minute exercises. Every exercise requires a team to solve a problem in 5 minutes. Members take turns being the leader for each exercise. There's time up front to let them know what the problem is and for them to plan for it, 5 minutes to do the exercise, and time to reflect on what happened. The idea is to give each scout several chances to lead. One example is make a cake batter and get it into the oven, if it's not in the oven within 5 minutes then I'd toss what they made and nobody would get the cake. About a half hour later was the problem of cleaning up. If they didn't get it done in 5 minutes then I got the cake. Talk about incentive. I found paper airplane projects on line. I had a big domino set and did some stuff with that. I took the communication exercise out of the ILST manual. I had them teach the sheep shank. I asked them to identify and call a scout that's not advancing. If the problem didn't seem too hard to do then I'd coach a scout, before hand, to be a pain in the neck. This is where scouts that don't want to clean come in. It got to the point where the scouts wanted a problem scout. Sometimes the scouts would have so much fun being the pain that I'd let it go and let them enjoy it. They had fun with it. The other thing I noticed is that it was a challenge and they were up for it. When it was your turn to be the leader everyone was watching to see how you did. This is so much better than something like the telephone game. The first time I tried this was a month ago so I'm still playing with it. I just need a lot more ideas.

As for SM time management, my first impression is that the committee, the PLC, and the ASMs should take some of the load off of you. Until I got the committee to do its job I didn't have time to do mine, which was work with the boys. I had a bullying type of issue and I talked to the PLC and asked them to handle it while respecting the Scout Law. They did a great job. I also have a PLC ranging in ages of 13 to 17. I also ask all of the scouts to nominate patrol leaders, so that's how we get the hooligans out of those positions. One subtle benefit is that it's not me telling a scout he can't be a PL, it's his peers. They're a lot harsher than I am and quite fair. That also makes me the good guy so when I suggest they work with the new scouts to gain some confidence and let everyone know they're serious, they listen.

Maybe this is another topic, but I wonder if Scouter-Terry could put a wiki on this website and get some people to start editing some of the knowledge that's here and make it easier for people like you to get to. That would help Woodbadge as a resource.

Basement, it kind of calls for the clarification of the word hooligan. It could mean the bully type of person that has a profound affect on the victims of the hooligan. Yes, that person will weed out a lot of good boys from the troop. But what about the hooligan boy that's basically ADD/ADHD and can't focus, but is quite smart. Sure, he gets into lots of trouble, can't pay attention, disrupts, etc. and is basically a pain in the butt. I have found that if one is able to channel that energy in a constructive way, it goes a long way towards creating a good leader for the troop. As long as there's not any mean/bullying streak behind his motives, he can do quite well. I had an ADD boy (13 years old) run the popcorn sales for the troop without any adult involvement except at his request and it was the most successful sale ever for the troop. He was great at nagging the boys to get their forms in for the contests and then dogged the council to make sure the boys all got their prizes. Needless to say, I was VERY skeptical when he first volunteered to do the activity, but I'm glad I let him run it his way. Up until that point, I would have definitely defined him in terms of hooligan.
Why does anyone want to do Woodbadge? Is this some kind of fraternity thing or is there really some benefit to it? And if there is' date=' please describe what those benefits are. Just curious. [/quote']

You cry at the end.

In all seriousness, I've got just over 20 years split between youth and adult service, and I feel absolutely no impetus to go to Woodbadge. I've read Hillcourt's 1950s PL Handbook cover-to-cover (yes, even the recipes appendix :p) and refer to it often, the current PL Handbook (which took considerably less time with its 14-pt typeface and paltry length ;)), the Guide to Safe Scouting, Guide to Advancement, Uniform & Insignia Guide, read the current material and watched the videos for youth leadership training, etc etc. That looks like bragging, but what it is is the reason I personally am not planning on taking Woodbadge: I know my scoutcraft and I know how a troop works.

However, I do not preach my reticence. I'm the rare bird in long-term, continuing, thoughtful study of the material, and we're all surrounded with guys who are clueless or ignorant and are perfectly happy to remain so. If Woodbadge motivates some of them to get moving, that's great and I'm all for it.

I do get sick of smug people nudging me and asking "when are you gonna get your woggle?" I used to be good-natured about it, now I just say "when I feel like I need it."

I was only talking about PLs, and the scouts decide who they are. As jblake says, there are different types of hooligans. An 11 year old that doesn't want to wash dishes should not be made a PL for 6 months. However, putting him in charge of washing dishes for a campout and being ultimately responsible for a clean patrol box at the end of the campout, priceless. Some scouts are hooligans because they don't know how to fit in. I've encouraged a few of them to be Troop Guides and it has done wonders. Another issue is cliques of kids that feed off each other. I'm working on that right now. I think I'm just going to present the problem to the PLC. They know these kids better than I do. So, I generally agree with the idea of putting them in charge of something, but it should be something they'll succeed at. If they volunteer, like jblake's popcorn thing, I'd be up for that.

OK, I removed the hooligan quote from my Kudu.Net Website.

Honestly, some of you guys have been talking about trying the Real Patrol Method for years.

Debating how meek popularity contest winners will learn the "leadership skills" to lead a Patrol without two-deep helicopters is just another abstraction-distraction.

My best hooligan Patrol Leaders have the following traits:

1) Above average IQ and verbal skills (verbal skills that usually get them into trouble with adults);

2) A natural sense of fair play (Scout Law, but kid fair play);

3) An love of outdoor adventure which places campouts ABOVE sports;

4) A bearing that discourages anarchy when the adults aren't looking.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net/Patrol

Kudu that isn't close to a hooligan...

hoo·li·gan /ˈhu:lɪgən/ noun

plural hoo·li·gans

[count] : a usually young man who does noisy and violent things as part of a group or gang

â–ª The windows were broken by a gang of teenage hooligans. â–ª soccer hooligans [=violent soccer fans who fight against other soccer fans]

 hoo·li·gan·ism /ˈhu:lɪgəˌnɪzəm/ noun [noncount]

This is the hooligan I deal with.....The troop bully who disrupts his patrol meetings when the leader is out of the room.....The fellow who gets elected through intimidation.

My best hooligan Patrol Leaders are not bullies, but they are well known by the other Scouts for their after school fights.

Yes, the Den Leaders with the plush toy "critters" do cry at the end. Those freely distributed boxes of Kleenex at the closing represent the "diversity" we gained from Program Neutering.

Also, participants should then be able to spell "Wood Badge," and distinguish between the proprietary timeless "21st century leadership skills" of Green Bar Blanchard, and the non-proprietary timeless "21st century leadership skills" of Scouting's true founder, Bruce Tuckman.

• Upvote 1

Kudu, you and H.L. Mencken seem to be kindred spirits, I think. I actually like that, BTW. Sorry about the spelling. But since I haven't participated.....I'll try to get it right in the future. ;)