It always amazes me how everyone seems to think that the modern tent is the only way to go. The sewn in floors hold water in just as well as out and one always has to be concerned about wrecking it, no boots, no packs, no rocks and sticks underneath, etc. etc. etc.

Just think. I have a floorless canvas tent. It is tall enough to stand in, hang my clothes, take a military cot, folding chair and Rubbermaid to haul it all and second as a night stand.

I walk in and out without taking my shoes off. I can camp on rocks and sticks without a problem.

I can have my backpack in the tent, hanging on a hook or tossed on the floor.

When it rains and the water runs it, it just keeps on going out just as fast. When boys are out running around tucking their ground cloths under their tent. I'm tossing mine over the top of my tent. That way I don't have so much tent to dry out and if I do touch the walls, so what.

Bugs? That's what netting is all about.

It doesn't have a zipper that will get wrecked.

Just because it's modern, doesn't mean it's better.

My weekender tent? GI's carried them around in WWII and Korea and weight wasn't a problem.

Backpack tent? GI poncho. 3 corners staked down, the other one propped up with a stick. Works just fine.

I haven't wrecked the floor of a tent ever....

Never wrecked a zipper either....

Stosh

It always amazes me how everyone seems to think that the modern tent is the only way to go. The sewn in floors hold water in just as well as out and one always has to be concerned about wrecking it, no boots, no packs, no rocks and sticks underneath, etc. etc. etc.

Just think. I have a floorless canvas tent. It is tall enough to stand in, hang my clothes, take a military cot, folding chair and Rubbermaid to haul it all and second as a night stand.

I walk in and out without taking my shoes off. I can camp on rocks and sticks without a problem.

I can have my backpack in the tent, hanging on a hook or tossed on the floor.

When it rains and the water runs it, it just keeps on going out just as fast. When boys are out running around tucking their ground cloths under their tent. I'm tossing mine over the top of my tent. That way I don't have so much tent to dry out and if I do touch the walls, so what.

Bugs? That's what netting is all about.

It doesn't have a zipper that will get wrecked.

Just because it's modern, doesn't mean it's better.

My weekender tent? GI's carried them around in WWII and Korea and weight wasn't a problem.

Backpack tent? GI poncho. 3 corners staked down, the other one propped up with a stick. Works just fine.

I haven't wrecked the floor of a tent ever....

Never wrecked a zipper either....

Stosh

Some localities will not allow camping without a tent. Odd, but true. But I suspect in some locations where west nile is abundant it has more to do with convenience of logistics not having to do a philmont fly + netting for 50+ scouts, as well as for health issues.

To be honest I could go either way. I don't see a big deal about either.

When the BSA moved away from outdoor adventure in the early '70s, that began the shift.

Unit level scouting--pack, troop, crew, ship--is an afterthought.

Numbers--Eagles, dollars, JTE, popcorn sales, FOS, MBs earned during day-long universities--are more important to National.

True scouting takes place in the outdoors. Not the board room, or auditorium.

BP's vision is long gone. In the same manner, Green Bar Bill's status at National (persona non grata) is telling as well about National's priorities.

desertrat, I do see your point. My troop has never run the patrol method the entire time I was a youth. Now as an adult, I'm pushing the patrol method to anybody who will listen. It's a tough fight, but I think the end result for the boys will be far more enriching experiences and is worth the effort.

inner city boys are wigged out by the bugs........ It just boggles my mind as well......many live in coach roach infested homes......We have had several with bed bug issues....

But see a daddy long leg or mosquito you thought the world ended....

Tents really helped me get the boys more interested in a more active outdoor program.

We put our order in for some 2013 Jambo tents......a bargain at $38 bucks.......I can outfit for the new patrol for about $200 plus shipping

inner city boys are wigged out by the bugs........ It just boggles my mind as well......many live in coach roach infested homes......We have had several with bed bug issues....

Tents really helped me get the boys more interested in a more active outdoor program.

We put our order in for some 2013 Jambo tents......a bargain at $38 bucks.......I can outfit for the new patrol for about $200 plus shipping

Do you have a link for that ? I would be interested in looking that up.

I am starting to understand you a little better. Your issue is not with tents per say, just $200 tents. I get it. They boys are a bit rough with them and they are not lasting. I think they have a time and place, but I would like to explore a better option for fair weather camping.

they offered an additional discount if you ordered before May 1st...... While all of he gear isn't a bargain. and I am flabbergasted by the $2k mountain bikes. The tents fit my budget.

[url=https://summit.scouting.org/en/Jamboree2013/Documents/5741_Jam_Selloff-R8.pdf]https://summit.scouting.org/en/Jamboree2013/Documents/5741_Jam_Selloff-R8.pdf[/url=https://summit.scouting.org/en/Jamboree2013/Documents/5741_Jam_Selloff-R8.pdf]

correction the additional discount was April 15th and I paid by the deadline so we got the extra 15% off. I am going to ask the jambo contingent to bring them back if they could....I am friends with one of the troops SM.
Your issue is not with tents per say' date=' just $200 tents.[/quote']

$40 Ozark Trail tents at Walmart that sleep 4-6 lasted three years longer than the $150 3-man tents we got at REI.

Your issue is not with tents per say' date=' just $200 tents.[/quote']

$40 Ozark Trail tents at Walmart that sleep 4-6 lasted three years longer than the $150 3-man tents we got at REI.

Good point. My main concern is dry tents. REI supposedly has a 100% lifetime guarantee. We have a couple of those that leak and plan to test out their stated policy.

I also think our troop needs to make a distinction between a car camping tent and a backpacking tent. I have a 8 person Eureka for $200 that doesn't leak. But I take care of it.

Ozark trail tents are complete garbage......The fiberglass poles on the ones we tried splintered in a couple of uses....The flys are not full length flys resulting in some pretty significant water issues......I am sure there are different models the 4 man we had was complete garbage.....

While REI has a 100% lifetime guarantee, I don't know that I could ask them to honor that warranty for troop owned tents........Just doesn't feel very scout like....

Ozark trail tents are complete garbage......The fiberglass poles on the ones we tried splintered in a couple of uses....The flys are not full length flys resulting in some pretty significant water issues......I am sure there are different models the 4 man we had was complete garbage.....

While REI has a 100% lifetime guarantee, I don't know that I could ask them to honor that warranty for troop owned tents........Just doesn't feel very scout like....

But your troop does not own any tents. Your CO does.

You are correct, if the failure is due to abuse it is not right to hold them to it. Leaky floor, maybe. We don't use cots.

I checked out those Jambo tents. Interesting. Certainly should be good enough for fair weather. A few years ago we picked up a bunch of crappy Coleman 6 man tents that the State had bought in anticipation of Katrina refugees. $10 each. Never used. Poles start snapping after 5 or 6 uses. Very leaky also.

KDD you are incorrect......

My COR has a document signed by every institutional head since 1978 that state the Troop gear is solely owned and property of the troop.....The church youth group borrowed it without permission and did significant damage, from hundreds to thousands of dollars depending on the version you wish to believe. Our gear is stored were the church and church members do not have access to it.

Well all I can tell you is that the Ozark Trail tents we have had have lasted 5 years, 10 camp outs a year, hot and cold weather and 75+ scouts beating the snot out of them.

I guess they don't make them like they used to. :)

I have two OT air mattresses that have done well, same box different design. OT Is a Walmart brand not a manufacturer, so quality can vary greatly depending on the forced child labor camp that manufactures it.

Stosh, thanks for those superb thoughts about canvas floorless tents. I have two of those. They are old BSA tents from the '60s--Miner and Voyager. I prefer them over any other tent.

A much better camping experience overall.