Visiting my old Scoutmaster

I just returned from a trip back home visiting family. Whenever I'm there, I always get together with a few of my best friends from scouting days, but this time I did something extra -- I went to visit my old Scoutmaster with my two Scouts.

We had a great time laughing about old stories and my sons enjoyed telling him about some of their adventures. That incredible man changed my life in a hundred different ways and I'm glad I took the time to let him know his work continues today through me.

If you get the opportunity, this is a great way to once again say thanks.

I'm going to call my old Scoutmaster (not my father, the original Scoutmaster) right now. Wishing him a happy new year will be good for him (he's real proud of his Scouting professional) and theraputic for me.

Thanks for the reminder.

DS

I am sitting here thinking about how much I appreciate him. He was a quiet, sensitive man. He was not an overly involved Scouter. He kept his family, church, hobbies, and business in balance. He liked camping. He made opportunities for us whenever we made the requests.

Those opportunities grew in proportion with our knowledge. He encouraged us and we grew into leaders.

I worked for his company for a period of time. He was a good boss, a fair man, and was direct. I am sure that I could have remained with his business but I moved on.

I want him to know that he left a good mark with one part of his life.

FB

It sure felt good talking to Mr. Breyefogle formerly Scoutmaster of Troop 234 in Kalamazoo, MI. He's my old Scoutmaster.

We couldn't talk for long. His family -- actually extended family -- was there, but it sure was nice talking to him.

We relived some old memories. And he's still proud of this professional Scouter that was born in his troop.

DS