CHIN-BE-GOTA revisited 20 years later

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 cliffgolden

cliffgolden

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 12:13 PM

Rich or "Grumpy", I attended Chin-Be-Gota as a Scout in 1968, 1970, and 1971. (As a Scout I was at Camp Rotary MacQueen in 1965 and 1966, and Chief Shabbona in 1967 and 1969). I worked on Chin-Be-Gota staff as Field Sports Director in 1976 and 1977. I brought my troop up to Chin-Be-Gota as a Scoutmaster in 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1984, and 1986. I think I helped paint indians for the Wed night OA ceremony several of those years. I hate to be one always ringing of death, but in case some of you did't know, Griz Adams passed away in 1991. Someone mentioned Bob Ford in an earlier post. Bob died in 1994 after a tragic car accident in 1992 rendered him a quadrapalegic. Just to balance things out with someone living, Jeff Merkling is alive and well and back in Scouting as an adult leader with his 12-year-old son down in Missouri. Good to hear from you guys. Cliff Golden

#22 bb6691

bb6691

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:05 PM

Cliff, I think for the most part the last time any of us newer staffers saw each other was at the Great Grizs funeral, at least that was the last time for me. I remember Cooter and I (Grumpy were you with us??) were riding to the cemetery in Jim Furmans truck, and Coot mentioned that the police were stopping traffic for the funeral procession, I looked out the window and sure enough there was a police officer blocking traffic and saluting Griz. Jim mentioned the officers name and said that he was an Eagle Scout from Grizs early years as a Scouter. To this day, that moment still chokes me up. Bob Bales CBG 83,85, & 86

#23 rich

rich

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:43 PM

(This message has been edited by a staff member.)

#24 rich

rich

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 02:09 PM

Thank you staff member for deleting my earlier post. Rich Waite, I responded to your last post. After posting and reading it I realized that it didn't make sense. I forgot your name was Rich also. Sorry for the confusion. I agree with you. I have many great memories from CBG as a camper and a staff member.I was quite emotional being there 20 years later. I wish I had more time and a better camera. Does anyone know what has become of the CBG website? Earlier this week I was going through some things at my parents house and found two more items from CBG. First one is a Year-Round Outdoor Program Guide from 1984. It contains information about the Scout Ranch, Big Timber, Kedeka, CBG and Chief Shabbona. It is quite informative. Some info about CBG: How large the camp is, weeks in operation, camp fees, facilities(trading post, commissary, central shower, quartermaster, health lodge, chapel), camp fees, campers guide, transportation, arrival and check in, equipment issue, health and safety. It talks about the camp program including scoutcraft, field sports, aquatics and trips hikes N things. The second is the staff manual for 1984. It contains info on purpose of summer camp, purpose of the camp staff, preparing for camp. It also has all the names, addresses and positions held of the staff members for that year.

#25 mark harrington

mark harrington

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:13 PM

I served as R & M junior staffer in 1974 and as field sports director in 1981 and 1982. I still say Camp Napowan and Freeman-Leslie can't compare to CBG! As a junior staffer, we got paid $100 for 10 weeks. I grew up in the famous Troop 31 Oswego with the great Del LaGow as its leader. In 1981, we had the best campfires, especially when we hoisted a scout on the backboard with an American flag behind line of staffers as we sang America and This Land is Your Land then humming it as someone in background recited the Scout Oath. Loved the time, the cows threatened to trample the OA inductees at the pre-ordeal bowl. I still wish a group of us would have bought the whole place, maybe as a retirement camping place for old scouters. I have my third grade class at Lisle, Il sing Waddly-Atcha and Topnotcher once in a while.

#26 rabbit ass

rabbit ass

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:25 AM

What a great trip back in time! I've often wanted to go back to CBG and see what's there. I was a scout there '63-'66, junior scoutcraft staff '67-69, eco/con director '72,'72. I could picture every step in the verbal tour. At my age I can't remember what I did yesterday, but I can vividly remember things from first summer at site 1, my OA Ordeal, my Brotherhood tap out, leading silent nite nature hikes (with my staff guys playing tapes of owl calls off in the woods), the "walk-in sit-in", etc. etc. I've got tons of old pics and slides, even a set of arial photos I took in '68? As eco/con director, I started the nature area. One of my junior staff, Jeff Rugg, had a red-tailed hawk that he would fly and kept in the staff area, and one of the other guys (can't remember his name now) had 2 baby racoons that he released at CBG. We also raised a few mallards from chicks. We also had a Great Blue Heron that one of my junior staff observed falling about 100 feet out of it's nest at the wilderness camp. We nursed it back to health and it hung out in the little pond in the nature area. One day we made an inflatable dome out of ground cloth plastic with the pieces heat sealed with an iron, inflated with a box fan on the lodge lawn. Anybody remember that? Of course, any of you former staffers will fondly remember Friday nites in town (Scottie's?), but one weekend off, my staff and I did a field trip to one of the state wildlife preserves north of Antigo. I can still picture 6 or so guys riding on the hood and top of my '67 Newport creeping miles down paths into the widerness. Sorry to hear about John Bland (known back then as the Cheeto Blandito) and Gerry Streit; both outstanding men. Now I need to check out the CBG website. Anybody, please feel free to contact me. I live in Southern Illinois, but usually spend may-july working the Fox Valley. Dan Starck www.jumpbuilder@earthlink.net

#27 ompahsong

ompahsong

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:04 PM

Hey, what happened to the Chin-be-gota web site? Now it shoots you to a soccer page. I left a massage with them but haven't got an answer. Anybody know whats going on?

#28 ompahsong

ompahsong

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:53 AM

Just got back from a fishing trip to Rhinelander and had to stop in Birnamwood. Chet and Emil's still has the best broasted chicken in the world. I took some pic/s and will post them as soon as I get them developed. We went to the camp and no one was around but it's up for sale. Dan sent me the sales address http://carleysales.com/ it has alot more pic than I took.

#29 jcole12

jcole12

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:57 PM

I was one CGB staff '66 and '67 with the likes of Dan (Rabbit Ass) Stark, Roy Schermerhorn, Rick McKindoo, Jeff Burnham, Butch Goins, Jim Rumcheck, Tim Ohelker, Wayne Ashe, Rick Johnson, Cecil Piggot, Peter Kleinpaste and so many others that I can't remember. I am the Scoutmaster now of troop 794 in the Denver, CO area. My son just spent his first session at camp in the mountains, is three merit badges and a project away from Eagle. He was asking me about my camp experiences and much to my surprise, I found this spot on Scouter.com. The "CBG 20 years later" write-up was so wonderful. The best summers of my boyhood were spent up at CBG as a scout and on staff. The person describing the OA ceremony was espcially warming as I was on the tap-out team both summers and got to glide up to the bowl in those canoes dressed out in those spiffy buckskins and headresses. I remember catching bass and painted turtles in the lake, sunset yoga at the boat dock with the Jesuit Priest drop out who was running the aquatics program in '66, teaching astronomy merit badge out in the rowboat in the middle of the lake in the middle of the night,lots of nature walks and classes with the scouts, water balloon raids on campsites with particularly obnoxious scouts, lifting weights in the shower room , pink bellies for staff initiation (when that was allowed), skinny dipping on staff point in the evening, bad food and good friendship, my first girlfriend, trips into Aniwa and Birnamwood to do laundry and have some decent food(one time we saw that new musical Sound of Music), Scouts coming in on Sunday and grilling chicken for them on Saturday, Staff competitions with the scouts every Saturday on the lake or in campcraft skills., canoeing down the Wolf River two summers with Roy Schermerhorn , Tim Ohelker , Jim Rumcheck and one of the other directors, a frustrating start in '67 to the nature center that Rabbit Ass straightened out in following years, throwing down mattresses in the lodge before the camp had been set up and having staff wrestling matches, wild and crazy Rich Johnson leading wonderful campfires, Tim Ohelker catching a moth in his ear at the campfire and having to go to the ER to have it removed. I am not sure how it was that we were lucky enough to attend such a camp but my life has been greatly blessed by the memories that I get to ruminate upon from that beautiful place in Wisconsin. Now, as I am again in Scouting, I am crerating new Scouting memories with my son. These are sweet memories; but equally sweet to me are those wonderful summers spent on Baker Lake catching turtles and learning about life.

#30 Grumpy Waite

Grumpy Waite

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:37 AM

I've noticed that there have been over a thousand visits to this thread. Some of you should post messages. You may just reconnect with some old friends. I did.

#31 alarson

alarson

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:30 PM

My name is Alan Larson. I was a member of Troop 81 in North Aurora from 1973 until 1980. i spent 8 wonderful years at Chin Be Gota. They were some of the best years of my life. I spent three summers on the staff. they wre the greatest. 1977 i was helping out the staff for two weeks, 1978 i was quartermaster and 1985 i was trading post manager/chaplain. I cant enough about the commarodores we had and the friends i made. i was sorry to see it sold in 1985. i wish i could get back that way some day, but i live in texas now. i too remember griz.. he was my first scoutmaster in troop 81. billy adams told me of his death in phone call imade to him in 1991. i also remeber jerry streit and john bland very well, especially john running camporees in devils cave district and especially running the campfires with his booming voice.. iknow they will be missed. my life is better for knowing them. the other person that made cbg fun and great was bill wiggins. how many of us remember him? he was the greatest influence on my scouting life. i would like to hear from some of the people who were a part of the staff in 1978.

#32 alarson

alarson

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:31 PM

My name is Alan Larson. I was a member of Troop 81 in North Aurora from 1973 until 1980. i spent 8 wonderful years at Chin Be Gota. They were some of the best years of my life. I spent three summers on the staff. they wre the greatest. 1977 i was helping out the staff for two weeks, 1978 i was quartermaster and 1985 i was trading post manager/chaplain. I cant enough about the commarodores we had and the friends i made. i was sorry to see it sold in 1985. i wish i could get back that way some day, but i live in texas now. i too remember griz.. he was my first scoutmaster in troop 81. billy adams told me of his death in phone call imade to him in 1991. i also remeber jerry streit and john bland very well, especially john running camporees in devils cave district and especially running the campfires with his booming voice.. iknow they will be missed. my life is better for knowing them. the other person that made cbg fun and great was bill wiggins. how many of us remember him? he was the greatest influence on my scouting life. i would like to hear from some of the people who were a part of the staff in 1978.

#33 alarson

alarson

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:32 PM

#34 donswinn

donswinn

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

I enjoyed reading the revisit to Chin-Be-Gota. I have often wondered what the place looks like now. I attended camp there in 66-68 and was on staff in 1969 with Big John and worked for Gerry in the commissary. I agree with the other memories of the camp. Looking back, it looks like how Norman Rockwell would paint a Boy Scout camp. I remember doing the mile swim between the swimming docks and the point beach. I was inducted into the OA there in 68 and then served on the OA induction staff in 69. Like others have said, I can't remember what I did Monday this week, but I can still see the old council ring as if I was there last night. I've often thought about making a trip up there, but living in Texas now, there just are not many opportunities. I do visit the Aurora area occasionally, and made a point of treking through the former Camp Kedeka. I walked slowly along the new bike trail, trying to figure out where the cabins were and where Troop 400 always camped. Lots of memories from that camp as well. I'm still in Scouting and am going through it all again as Den Leader and Committee Chair for my youngest son. It's good to hear from all the old scouts, and to share the memories.

#35 Troop 59

Troop 59

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:51 AM

I came upon this website googling camp kedeka. Yes the one in sugar grove Illinois. I hear that camp closed some time ago also. I'm a former member of troops 59 and 11 in aurora illinois, from 1969-1976? I was at Chin-Be-Gota twice and the wilderness camp once. I don't remember exactly what years but that's ok. Rich I wanted to thank you for your detatiled re-visit to Chin-Be-Gota. Wasn't there a big tall tree somewhere along eagle trail that had a eagles nest in it? Or perhaps that was at the wilderness camp? I remember the rifle range well. It was my favorite. I also remember coming in 2nd place out of all the kids there with 2, 46 scores. I remember having one 46 score them the other kid shot a 47 and I was mad somewhat cause he bumped me from 1st place. I then when back to shoot again to beat him and shot another 46. Close but no cigar. I was very proud of my shooting scores and kept the targets for many years after. They're long gone now along with all but 1 or 2 of my patches. I still have my merit badges and my order of the arrow ummm sling? LOL Can't even remember what that's called anymore. Maybe I'll post a picture of them. This might not be the proper thread though. Anyway I read this thread and thanks to all of you for some great memories!!! I'll check back once in a while. Thanks again guys!!!

#36 dan

dan

• Members
  • 1423 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

Taking this thread off track a little bit. But Camp Ke-De-Ka is still there. It is owned know by the Fraternal Order of Police. Boy Scouts still camp there! It is in better shape know than when the BSA owned it. I hear that it cost next to nothing to camp there for a cub or scout troop. So if you are close you may want to check it out. http://www.il-fop-14.org/index.html

#37 cliffgolden

cliffgolden

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

I think the eagle's nest that you're thinking of was over at Chief Shabbona Wilderness Camp (Little Archie). I know Troop 11 Aurora is still going strong. It is now in the Foxfire District. Here is their website: http://troop11aurora-il.org/ I worked with John McKenzie from Troop 11 on Chin-Be-Gota staff at in 1976 and 1977. He was Asst Camp Director in 1976, and Camp Director in 1977. John continues to be active in Scouting currently serving as Advancement Chairman of the Foxfire District. Cliff Golden

#38 cliffgolden

cliffgolden

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:28 AM

I think the eagle's nest that you're thinking of was over at Chief Shabbona Wilderness Camp (Little Archie). I know Troop 11 Aurora is still going strong. It is now in the Foxfire District. Here is their website: http://troop11aurora-il.org/ I worked with John McKenzie from Troop 11 on Chin-Be-Gota staff at in 1976 and 1977. He was Asst Camp Director in 1976, and Camp Director in 1977. John continues to be active in Scouting currently serving as Advancement Chairman of the Foxfire District. Cliff Golden

#39 cliffgolden

cliffgolden

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

#40 Troop 59

Troop 59

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:51 AM

Cliff I remember John well and his sons. I see troop 11 is still at the Wesley Methodist church. That's where I went, we met downstairs in the gym I believe. I just saw John a month ago at Harners in N. Aurora for the first time in years. Didn't talk to him though. Yes the eagles nest might have been at the wilderness camp. My father was leader of troop 59 for a while and our family knew the McKenzies well long ago. I remember John's troop 11 was at chin-be-gota the week before us(troop 59)one year and we just happened to have the same camp site as troop 11 the following week. Troop 11 was kind enough to leave us about a cord of chopped wood stacked neatly between 2 trees. The we(troop 59)didn't use it and left it for the next troop the following week. We didn't know who it was but that wasn't the point. Ahhhhh the good old days!! Jim Humbert

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq