Scout troop at Howe Military School in Howe, IN

Does anyone remember the troop number from a unit that we believe used to be chartered at Howe Military School in Howe, IN?

They are starting a new troop there and would like to use the old troop number if we can find out what it was.

This troop will be in the Anthony Wayne Council.

There is already a troop in the Howe city area, but this troop would have been part of the school itself.

If anyone knows any information about any troop at Howe Military School, it will be greatly appreciated!

• 3 months later...

I belonged to a long standing troop, so I wanted to find out about the history. The local library had news articles on microfiche. It was also a town with a university, so they had a library and I was able to do several searches. I found that in the early part of the century with a smaller town that the Troop's activities were of some note but as the town increased in size, there arose an inverse relationship of importance and fewer articles were written.

FOG pointed to the records at the council office. I found that, in the office I visited, they had partial records. It may be that some offices, in general and without casting a critical eye towards any one person or thing, has mixed feelings about being a repository of history, and since it is basically a business with an influx of many professionals over many years. They may be just trying to survive.

You might also try to find a connection through any person that was in the troop 'back when'. Many Scouters are a repository of information and have kept vital things in cardboard boxes because they do not consider themselves a business and for good reason.

On one pilgrimage to Dallas, I stopped in at the National Office. They do keep records in volumes of books on past and present Eagle Scouts and several other categories. They may have a more extensive history on a database. My visit was during the pre-tech era of just a few years ago but they let me look at what they had. They were very helpful and I will always remember the interest and care that they took with me.

Good luck and good hunting,

Fuzzy

Thanks to those who replied with your suggestions on how to determine this troop number. As it turns out, they were able to find out that it was Troop 113 and they were able to register in their council with that number. So there is now a new troop at Howe Military School! They will be having their first campout soon.