Activities that work

Trail Pounder:

8 miles in 3.5 hrs. Wow! The guys always have us on trails with such elevation climbs that I know they'd be doing CPR if we traveled that fast.

We're going out Sept. 12 weekend, 4 to 6 crew members and the 2 advisors. They are looking to do one of their 15 milers for the backpacking elective. Some of the kids in the troop have tried backpacking but don't like doing much over 3 to 5 miles.

We are not co-ed either. It's a possibility down the road. The guys are all life or eagle so have the routine down. Anyone joining that isn't used to scouts would have to adjust, which would mean they'd need to train them. They have their hands full learning the program for now. Anything is possible though. No one has approached them to join yet, we're so new word hasn't had time to get out.

How long have you been backpacking?

VM

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VMom,

Just getting started. Been out training, buying gear, and reading journals but haven't went as an organized unit yet. We'll go at the end of this month. 16 Total miles. I like the idea of counting the miles under a pack. I keep looking for a pewter lapel pin of a pack or boots that could be awarded after 100 miles under a BP.

Pounder

Pounder: That sounds like a cool idea. What we were doing while they were in the troop as a patrol was beads on a leather string for their shirt pocket. Sounds kind of cutsey but they really got into it. When we started back up as venturers some of us didn't wear the beads and they jumped all over it. Another case of you never know what they'll like.

They earned the 50 miler 2 years ago and they have the leather patch for their packs.

If I see anything like you're hunting I'll let you know. The kids love to be awarded, I always like to surprise them at courts with different stuff.

VM

Pounder:

Yeah, they packed the whole thing. 2 years ago we went on the Foothills Trail which hugs the N.C. and S.C. border. It's a beautiful area, lots of ups and downs and gorgeous scenery. They took about a week, would hike about 8 miles a day, some were tougher than others. We did a ton on research about 6 months of planning. Someone did meet us halfway through to be sure no one needed to drop out , took away dirty clothes too which in August was great! It was a great experience and I think that's what turned the key to the venture world. Since then their confidence level has risen and they are eager to try new things. The following year we did it again and reversed the direction, added 2 new boys who are part of the crew now. 2 of the original boys are now in the service or college so we still number 6, which is small but they are tight. They want to do another one next summer, this time we'll try for a new place. It's a good way to learn planning skills and teamwork. You have to love backpacking, we asked the troop if anyone was interested for the last one, but only the 2 with us now stuck it out.

VM

VMom,

Awesome. We're have a 15 miler at the end of this month. We're also planning a 15 miler in the middle of November, the weather on November 15th could be all over the place. I have 2 from our Crew and 2 from the troop. I am convinced that these four hardy Backpackers will spread the word to the others and we'll just grow from there. We're going to try the 50 miler in April, 50 miles of the River to River Trail in the Shawnee National Forest.

Reading peoples AT trail journals is becoming my favorite reading.

http://www.rivertorivertrail.org/

Here's a link to where we're headed, a map and several trail jounals from some through hikers.

Pounder

Hey Air Force, We'll sure let you know when we tackle the R to R. Stayed at The Inn at Scott AFB last year. Had a small reunion with some army buddies and went to see Cubs v Cards downtown. Went to the NCO Club later Saturday night. It was empty. In all the years I was in the army, I never saw an empty NCO Club. What gives?

Thanks pounder for the link to R to R trail. I can't wait to have time to research it. Don't know if that'd be a possibility for them for the next 50, but it's worth a look. we're in the Western N. C. mts. so not sure how far it'd be. One of the crew members is a huge AT fan. His goal is to do the trail when he graduates from school, or at some point. He brought a video on the trail, a kind of journal, and it was really interesting. We've done bits and pieces since we live right there, it crosses about 15-20 miles from here.

Is your crew going for the backpacking elective? I saw where you'd mentioned them being into the shooting aspect. That's an area our guys are looking at. They would need a lot of instruction, they have limited experience here, but they really want to make that one of their first electives. They'd be a good companion for your crew, too bad we're so far apart. They'll breeze thru the backpacking elective, but need instruction on the shooting.

Venture mom

No, the only thing that we have special is extremely above average grades:), awesome technology( except for phone system at high school), and we had 3 conference championships last fall alone. I wish we did..... but that would make it hard, too.... I play basketball as well.

That's something I will try to do if I go to West Point. They look like they are pretty good.... let's hope;)(This message has been edited by hops_scout)

Vmom,

I'll bet it would be quicker to go from Ashville, NC to Carbondale, IL than it would be to go from Chicago to Carbondale!!! Well maybe not, but it would be close. The Crew wants to finish the BP'ing elective next summer. We come and do a couple miles on the AT and you folks stay for awhile until we get the Shooting Sports completed. Bet it would sound good on paper.

A friend of mine's 13 year old daughter mentioned that she wanted to shoot 10 M Air with Mr. Trail Pounder's team. Hmmmmm, she can't be in our Crew yet, but I wonder if the powers that be would have a problem with her joining our American Legion Jr. Shooting Team.