Cub Unit Commissioner

I am starting to look at being a UC for Cub Scouts. I am in the process of talking to the ADC for our district.

I think this sounds like a good position for me. I love to spread the word and help people find resources. I'm a information junkie!

What are questions I should ask the ADC?

What are things I should consider before taking on this job?

Get to unit commissioner basic training ASAP. Somewhere in your council they must be offering it soon.

Get all the unit commissioner books you can.

--Commissioner Basic Training Manual

--Commissioner Fieldbook for Unit Service

-- Commissioner Helps for Packs, Troops, and Crews

Attend Commissioner College (or College of Commissioner Science)

As far as questions for your ADC --

have him/her tell what THEY're expectations are for the UC position. You may find as Tdyer did that the ADC and DC aren't very in tune with scouting.

find out when the monthly commissioner meetings are. Run away if they don't have them.

If you know what unit(s) you'll be serving -- ask about any issues, concerns, successes that you should be aware of. I love all the times I've heard no problems with that unit only to find out that they don't have a committee, no monthly leaders meeting, etc.

Hope this bit of information helps.

Yaworksi, I'm sure they will be glad to double my pay! :)

Chances are I'll help the pack that I came from. I left under good terms when my son crossed over. I don't know what their current issues are since I haven't been there since March. I do know the Cubmaster does a lot on his own and could use some support. Also he will be wanting to step down in the next year or two.

There is one pack I know has fallen apart, so if they tell me nothing is wrong with it, I will KNOW they are lying.

I have seen the ADC around over the past couple of years before she became ADC. She is energetic, loves the program and wants everyone to have fun. I remember hearing her at roundtable one night praising the Outdoor Leader's training and encouraging everyone to go. My impression of her is that she loves the program, wants the boys, families & leaders to have fun, and believes in having a plan and being organized.

One item on my list of "remembers" is that most of the packs have never had a UC, so it will be an adjustment.

Absolutely ask what they expect. Then go through training.

The UC SHOULD be a person that is a real resource. Able to help spot troubles in a unit and help the leaders think of ways to repair and prevent it.

I would not suggest being the UC for your particular pack. Sometimes you may be a bit biased.

I do wish you luck and say go for it. Stick to your guns and be pasionate about the program.

Tim Dyer

Former UC & CSRT Commish.

Welcome to the Commissioner Ranks.

A commissioner should be expected to provide:

Stimlulation - Encouragement & help

Unity - Make the units feel that they are a part of something bigger

Perspective - Bring the unit a fresh viewpoint

Program - Council and district events

Organization - How they best use the Den and Patrol Methods

Ratings - How can the leaders do a better job

Troop and Pack Committee - Assist the units with the committee and charter organization.

This is adapted from an article in a 1953 issue of Scouting.

The role of the Commissioner is to be a friend of the unit, a coach, a cheerleader, and there when needed.

As an ADC myself, I look for people to be commissioners who work well with people (a people person), experienced with Scouts and most important, teachable!

Your attitude will make the biggest difference. If you love Scouting, your love will come through strong and clear and be infectious! Good Scouting!