World scouting stories

In 1976, while on REFORGER, a military exercise in Germany and Europe, I was sitting in my truck in a small Belgian vile tying knots. After a while I had a group of youngsters standing there watching me and soon were showing me what they knew and teaching me new knots. After a whil of doing this an adult came up to me and asked if I was a Boy Scout. Yes was the answer and he respnded to me that he thought I had to be since I was tying scout knots. Had a great time with the young ones telling each other about scouting in our home countries. Quite the experience, me sitting there in combat gear, camoed, armed and playing at scouts. Knots... the universal language in scouting.

Hope to read more stories about experiencing international scouting.

YIS

• 1 month later...

Most of our Scouts have received the International Activity Patch. We camp with Korean Scouts at least twice a year. At one District camporee, we had 4 dutch ovens going the first night we got there. Our Scouts and the Koreans, who camp coed, were eyeing each other from a distance at first. As the smells wafted over to the BSK campsites, their leaders wandered over one by one to investigate. When the cooking was done, I sent Scouts, one by one, to their campsites with lasagna, biscuits, then various flavors of cobbler. Then, the BSK leaders sent THEIR Scouts over with some of their food. Many of our Scouts have Korean moms, so they thanked them in Korean and scarfed it down. Before you knew it, someone produced a soccer ball, and it was game on...good campout, and several cell phone numbers were exchanged.

KS