Providing Scout financial aid vs. Scout's fundraising participation

Our troop's adult leadership is currently assessing our policy of providing financial aid (specifically, at this time, for summer camp), while considering the Scout's participation in the troop's fundraising activities. We have only 2 (flower) fundraising activities during the year and ask that each Scout sell a minimum amount (something like 3-5 flowers, while encouraging Scouts to do their best at selling in order to help themselves), which any Scout should be able to accomplish. At issue is the Scout who does not participate in the fundraiser, but still would like to go to camp and who, without some level of financial aid from the troop, may not be able to attend. (We're attending an out-of-council camp this summer, so camperships are not an option.) To avoid skewing any responses, I'll leave the details to those stated.

What kind of ideas or comments do you have with regard to this type of situation? (I have not yet consulted the "Front Line Stuff" column from past issues of Scouting to see if this issue has ever surfaced there.) We're looking for ideas about "where to draw the line" as to expectations about Scouts' participation. We also want to encourage Scouts to help pay their own way, while finding that happy medium with helping as many Scouts as is practicable. Look forward to your responses. Thanks!

Our troop wants every Scout to go to camp, and the boys ability to pay should not keep him from going. All boys are expected to earn their own way. We provide ample opportunity for this through money earning events. Not all boys can participate in all money earning events, but the boys that participate more, earn more. Boys that come up short are encouraged to earn money through their own enterprise. We give them hot tips on who needs their lawn mowed, or car washed or whatever, and the boy then has an opportunity to follow up and earn a few bucks.

The challenge for the Scoutmaster is to motivate the Scout to participate. The troop committee is somewhat reluctant to help a boy financially if he does not first demonstrate a real effort to earn his own way. But if he participates in the money earning events, plus works on his own to earn money, and still comes up short, the committee can be very generous.

With the limited information given, I would say help the scout go to summer camp. Then at the next fundraiser, talk to him and his parents about how they can participate.

There could be legitimate reasons why he doesn't participate --- sick relative at home he must help care for, unsupportive parents, parents who just flat out refuse to let their children participate in ANY fundraisers, no neighbors to sell to, no relatives close by to sell to, family financial problems, etc.

Does you council have camperships?

If your Troop can afford it I say help the Scout out! You might also want to check with you chartering organization to see if they can help.

In my Troop, we give all the Scouts the oportunity to earn money (Popcorn & Hoagie sales). If they choose not to participate, that is up to them. We do explain that by participating they are earning their way in Scouting & learning the value of the dollar.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

My quick answer would be this.

If the financial situation was present when the the fundraiser were taking place and the scout family chose not to participate knowing full well that that was his only way to make it to camp then he's stuck. Sorry, no camp. Hard lesson #1 anything that is worth having or doing is worth working for.

If the financial situation was sudden and the Scout though camp was covered then the case has merit and I'd be willing to help.

Our Troop, with the aid of the Church's Mens Prayer Group used to pay the way for any scout to go to summer camp that needed assistance. We no longer do that.

What ended up happening was several scouts camp fees were covered and then they blew off camp FOR NO GOOD REASON. Just didn't show when the van pulled out for camp and when called said "nevermind." The money was not refundable at that point and it was too late to get someone else to go in the scouts place.

The committee discussed that matter at length and decided that we won't give handouts anymore. You want to go to camp? Earn it by taking part in fundraisers, if the scout doesn't earn all the money at a troop fundraiser to attend camp the troop will cover the remainder. What matters to us it that the Scout makes a solid effort to earn the money.

Now the question should be: "What if the Scout joins after the fundraisers are over?" We do try to give Scouts the benefit of the doubt, after all a Scout IS trustworthy and as scouts we should take him at his word. That is a scenario where we would consider a Troop campership but I would want to see some effort expended by the Scout to earn it. How? Well how about washing the Troop gear trailer and Church Vans after camping trips or something similar?

Yes there are legitimate reason why some kids can't do fundraisers and only one put forward that I would find acceptable is the Sick relative one. Unsupportive parents, well, the Scout needs to show some initiative. I've pickup up several boys so they could participate because his parents were too lazy to support their child. Family financial problems are one of the key reasons that we do fundraisers. It is a reason TO participate NOT a reason to abstain. The no one to sell to is an issue where the Troop needs to look at what kinds of fundraisers they are doing. We don't normally sell anything door to door. We are no longer comfortable with that. We try to do fundraisers where the boys are all working in a group. Mom and Dad saying "NO" is not an acceptable one to me. That teaches the Scout that he doesn't have to work for anything and that everything will be provided to him. A very dangerous lesson that breeds character deficiencies and undermines the values we are trying to instill in our Scouts.

That being said, I'm not a hard case, I want all boys to go to camp and I won't let a scout suffer because of a lack of money or lack of quality parenting. When it comes right down to it all I want to see is the Scout to make an honest effort to get himself to camp. I'll take care of the rest.

Craig be very careful about setting hard policies, they tend to lock you into a track where you can't help kids who legitimatly need help. I would suggest the flexible approach and consider each on a case by case basis. I would also only discuss the situation in Committee and I would not use the Scout's real name to aviod any embarrassment to the family in need. It's hard enough to ask for help and it is not necessary for the whole troop to know about it.(This message has been edited by Mike Long)