Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd give a brief introduction of myself.

I joined Boy Scouts as a youth in 1971 in the Highline district, Chief Seattle Council. That district no longer exists. I would have joined Cub Scouts but I think I asked my Mom on a bad day. She said Cub Scouts was stupid and to wait til I was old enough for Boy Scouts. My take on it now, is that she didn't want to be stuck as the Den Mother as I believe she was for my older brothers. Oh well, I can deal with the life scars that gave. :-)

I reached Star but was really never too motivated for advancement and never received much guidance either (I don't recall a single person earning eagle in my troop for the six years I was in). I was inducted into the OA in T'Kope Kwis Kwis lodge. I was a PL, ASPL, and SPL.

As a scout, I mostly enjoyed the camping. I have fond memories of Camp Parsons. Canoeing on Ross Lake, and a glorious 50 miler one August in the Olympics. I remember lots of backpacking trips in the North Cascades and around Mt. Rainier. Bicycling in the San Juans and along the peninsula. When we backpacked, we never took tents. Each person had a 10'x10' sheet of plastic and it seemed to work just fine for us, even in the damp Pacific NW.

I went backpacking for the first time in a long time a few weeks ago with my 11 year old daugter. I used a lot of the same equipment from when I was a scout 30 years ago. We had a blast. Of course, there was "No Way" she was going to sleep anywhere but in a tent, so I did find a nice little tent for us.

In 2001, my son became a Tiger Cub Scout. The next year I became the Den Leader and now I'm the Webelos Leader for his den. I'm also helping out with Cub Scout Roundtable and am planning to help with training. Next week I'm looking forward to going to Woodbadge.

I think that this is plenty for now, though maybe not so brief.

Cheers.

SWScouter, welcome.

Thanks for sharing part of your story. I think you will find some interesting people and discussions right here among us. Sometimes we even share our emotions, deep, shallow and fervent. A better time was never had around such a campfire as ours.

Fuzzy Bear