An intersesting twist on United Way in Michigan

Rooster, regarding your comment that the "other side" will claim it's their slogan - this is precisely my reason for using the phrase. As Eisely says, the need is to reach out to the middle, who are ambivalent, generally unknowledgeable on the specifics of the issue, but reachable. The press has its favorite issues and positions, and the average viewer or reader often accepts things as presented. Therefore, pro-choice is used instead of pro-abortion, because people will more easily accept freedom of choice. Because the terms freedom of choice and diversity are used overwhelmingly by the media in a favorable way, I like to use the same terms in my defense of Scouting. It drives some strong advocates crazy that I use their pet phrases against them, but I think it helps the vast middle ground, Nixon's "silent majority," to better appreciate our side.

And don't forget the value of images. If one does ever appear on camera, be in complete uniform, well worn. Stand up straight and be mindful of body english. Maintain eye contact. No shuffling of feet, or that sort of thing. Scouting has a positive image already. That is why the gay rights people love to have Steve Cozza show up in uniform. Adults and youth in uniform looking good always strike a responsive cord. That is why politicians love to have scouts at their rallys.

I see your point, but I'm uncomfortable using their language. If you use their words, then you have to defend the BSA position on their terms. How would you respond if they asked, "How does discriminating against gays encourage diversity?" I don't claim BSA to be diverse in the same way as they do. Also, knowing the media to be bias (and in some cases, just plain ignorant), they would show those signs and tell the viewers that we were pro-gay Scouts and Scouters. I agree with your intent (and even your logic). I'm just not sure it would play out like one would hope.

Rooster, I agree with your point on how something can be perceived when reported in the media. Having been quoted on numerous issues over the years, I find that, no matter how careful I am when I say something, the quote, especially in the newspaper, generally sounds either dumb or the opposite of what I said. This is because the short quote in isolation is often taken out of context of the entire statement.

With respect to the claim of discrimination, I never concede that BSA is discriminatory. I respond that the Boy Scouts has standards, as does any voluntary group, and that a values-based organization needs to do this. I also point out that people and groups can disagree on what are proper values, and this does not make either group bad or wrong. In every instance, I try to shift from the term discrimination to selection standards. I point out to people that if I as a Scoutmaster would swear in front of my Scouts, or smoke, tell off-color jokes or drank alcohol at Scout events, I would find myself removed as Scoutmaster. This does not mean that people who do these things are evil, just that BSA standards for Scout leadership reflect what our Scout's parents want as role models for their sons, and daughters, if Venture/Exploring.

As to your question as to how BSA is diverse, I respond that not every group need accept everyone, as that is not diversity either, as every group is then alike. Boy Scouts merely provides one approach, and if that is unacceptable to some, there is Campfire or other organizations. We merely provide a CHOICE.

All of the above takes time of course and makes media sound-bites impossible. Therefore, I don't deal with media-centered events such as protests, but instead try to make my impact one- on-one or in small group discussions.

I like the idea of a nice peaceful not "protest" but a celebration of who we are and what we stand for. Flag day this year is on a Friday. What say as many scout troops in full dress uniform and their families and supporters peaceably assemble at the town halls or other appropriate places and sing The Star Spangled Banner, America the Beautiful, Your a Grand Old Flag, America the Beautiful, Battle Hymn of the Republic, ETC. Then perhaps each faith represented in the troops sing their favorite religious song. If each troop would then retire an American Flag with respect and dignity, I think the images throughout the country would be awe inspiring

I would like to see how the liberal press could twist a good celebration of the flag done on flag day by a group of prejudiced discriminatory pigs (their characterization not mine)

People see "the Boy Scouts" as the "old homophobic adults", lets show them the innocence of 11 and 12 year old eyes and the pride and strength of the older scouts.

I have a slogan for the event,

A Celebration of Old Glories