Gay Pride in West Hollywood

It is exactly this type of self-righteous, I am right and you are wrong attitude that drove the original settlers of this country away from intolerant tyrants. Seek HIS face? Have you seen HIM? is HE singlar? Is HE an Entity in our definition of the word? How many times do you think you insult and demean non-christains with these words you speak? In yor mind you "know" you are right, why cannot the non-christian also beleive they are right? Does it matter if both live up to the tenents of their beleif system?

We have a Hindu Scout in our troop who is a vegetarian because his religion forbids eating meat, is he wrong? Should I tell his parents their religious beleifs are wrong?

I have always had a hard time differentiating the terms "Friendly, Courteous, Kind" (there is quite a bit of overlap in these words) in the scout law, would it be treason to suggest one of those tems be dropped in favor of adding a new scout law, that a scout is "tolerant"

Scouts pledge themselves to be reverent, I do not see any indication to which faith or beleif system is valued any higher than any other.

I am always bemused by anyone who thinks they have THE answer for EVERYONE else

As a Christian and a Scouter, it's always been difficult for me to talk the fine line between proselytizing ( which is my duty as a Christian ), and being tolerant of other's religous beliefs ( which is my duty as a Scouter and an American ). In my own personal beliefs, my duty to God comes first.

It seems to me that regardless of our personal religous convictions, as Scouters we all do share common adversaries, namely those who seek to indoctrinate young people into immoral, unhealthy, and disrespectful behaviors. I honestly believe that most Scouters who are in Scouting agree on most of these points.

I think all our time would be better spent focusing on helping young people become the best they can be. If given the right opportunity, there's nothing wrong with sharing our beliefs with others, Scouts included. But I do not think it should be our agenda in Scouting. I also think our time on this board would be better spent in sharing how we accomplish our goals as Scouters, and less time pointing fingers at each other because of our differences.

Stan I agree with you as well however, I must respond to OldGreyEagle.

OGE, Im very sorry if I somehow offended you or anyones personal religious convictions or beliefs. I was not trying to proclaim anything about salvation or that reading the bible would get you personally into heaven. The point was intended to discuss fanatics, fringe, etc. I get the feeling you read more into that part of my post. Im not sure how it appeared that I was trying to shove anything down your throat. Im sorry if youve had some past negative experiences with religion or a certain faith Im not sure why you equate my profession of faith to saying youre wrong. Just because I speak my faith, which may differ from yours does not mean that Im saying youre wrong or that Im better than you. What I was trying to say that is that if they have peace in their heart, good for them. (Disclaimer: that is if you believe in peace or have a heart, all those that dont believe in peace or have a heart I apologize, please disregard the previous sentence.)

The original settlers were seeking freedom which is what all of us have. This freedom includes practicing our faith, beliefs, and customs without being ridiculed. Id like to believe that we can all be secure enough, so that we are willing to let others speak with views or beliefs different from our own without attacking them. If things dont work out we can all just ask for forgiveness I guess. (Disclaimer: that is if you believe in asking for forgiveness, all those that dont believe in forgiveness I apologize, please disregard the previous sentence.)

In other news, I do have a lesbian cousin that I love very much. Im not sure how her mind works, and I certainly cant imagine what its like to be her. Facts are simple: I do still lover her, but theres no way I can ever agree with her sexuality. Many of her thoughts and actions (because of her sexuality) disgust me. Shes welcome to come to my house for dinner, but not go camping with my troop or be a role model for my children. God commanded that we love one another not that we must agree with one another. (Disclaimer: that is if you believe in God, all those that dont believe in God I apologize, please disregard the previous sentence).

I attempted to post a reply several days ago, but for some reason it did not stay on the board.

OGE, I fail to follow your logic. If someone professes a strong faith, how does it invalidate others and their beliefs? Would I be less offensive if I pretended to doubt my faith in God? Does my confidence make you less confident? I would not normally ask these questions, but your previous post begs them to be asked.

That's funny...I'm always bemused by anyone who thinks EVERYONE has THE answer (even if those multiple answers contradict one another). Truth is not a decision, but a reality one must confront.