Who sponsors Scouts inyour area?

With all the hubbub about units loosing sponsors and meeting space I am interested to know how it is affecting everyone.

What I would like is for everyone to post here:

1-Your council name and area

2-If you know what kinds of organizations sponsor units in your area

3-How many or how big of a problem is this in your area.

4- feel free to list major issues in your area.

I'll start.

1. North Florida Council (self-explanitory)

2. Almost all units are sponsored by churches and civic groups (i.e. Rotary Club)

3. I have not heard of anyone loosing a sponsor or meeting space. Not a problem here.

Mt. Diablo Silverado Council

Sponsors are mostly church affiliated groups for troops. Don't know about cub units.

I am now aware of any loss of sponsorship or meeting facilities in our council. There have been losses of access to public facilities in other communities in other councils in the San Francisco Bay area.

By the by - One of the predecessor councils, the Mt. Diablo Council, was a defendant in one of the earlier gay rights cases, Curran vs Mt. Diablo etc. As in New Jersey, the Curran case was brought under California laws governing conduct of a business. The California Supreme Court, unlike the New Jersey court, did not conclude that the scouts were a business subject to these laws.

Old Colony Council, generally south and southwest of Boston (Boston Minuteman Council).

Most units are chartered to churches, Lions, Legions, VFW's, etc. Few, if any, chartered to schools that I know of.

Haven't seen too much of the problem of units losing partners in this council, but it's happened in at least two nearby councils. So, it's not too far away, I'm afraid.

Rio Grande Council - southern most Texas

Boy Scouts, et al - Church's, Lions Clubs,

Cub Scouts - 90% schools, 10% churchs

I have not heard of any fall out from this but who knows. I am going to roundtable tonite and will ask.

Samoset Council, Central and Northern Wisconsin

Troops are chartered mostly with civic clubs and churches, cub packs have a higher rate with schools.

No problems up here. There have been a few letters to the editor, but I responded politely and since then- nothing. You can read the open letter and my response here: http://www.troop200.com/stevens_point_journal.htm

We are pretty much without a major issue. But then I like it that way, it leaves more time for planning the next outing and Scouting :)

Central NJ

Churches and schools. Both having problems.

2 packs ousted from school. Adopted by Catholics.

3 towns have met to get BSA out of schools. Has become a side issue for school board elections. Our chartering church tabled a discussion last month, but not for long about removing us.

Religious intolerance seems bigger issue than the media credits. Order of politics seems to be aetheists (and unchurched), gay scouts, gay leaders, BSA disapproving of some religions. Looks like the battle is to make local decisions locally not Nationally, rather than what those decisions would be.

I envy those who can have an outing without a side conversation. But we've got decisions to make and no help in sight from BSA making them.