Council-Politics

Our council suffers from too much internal politics. It is being investigated for "Ghost Troops" but is grandstanding by complaining about "media abuses" and acting like criticizing them is the same as criticizing scouting.

This stems from the council being completely cut off, or removed, from real day-to-day scouting. In turn, our District is cut off from the troops and packs. Even the national staff seem isolated in their corporate offices and special accomodations at Philmont.

Everything is political at the Council level. Rules and regulations are not written down, favoritism is rapant, and almost every program is its own political fiefdom run by the same few people for years and years.

Everything at Councilis about total numbers and raising money. Our new National Chief Scout Executive is lauded for his "endowment building", i.e. "fund raising", not his leadership or ethical credentials.

Scouting should not be just about politics or raising money.

Do other councils suffer from these same problems?

Wow! I read your statement and I feel bad for you. Look, I'm an active Assistant Scoutmaster. I'm not a politician or a lawyer or anything like that. But the Council underwhich our Troop operates is just great! A few years ago when we needed recruitment advice and had about 7 boys left, they gave us some pretty good tips whic helped our Troop grow to almost 50 now. Last year, our Troop agreed to host the Klondike Camp-o-Ree and it turned out to be one of the best experiences we ever had. One of the best Scouting experiences I ever had as well. We do favors for each other and, although I'm sure fund-raising is important to them, I know they share a common interest in their Troops in our Council. I believe wit all my heart that they subscribe to the old cliche' "If it's not for the boys it's for the birds". I wish I could help you in some way and I hope that, in time, things and attitudes change. It's my job to remain positive.....I'm a Scout.

It struck me just how political scouting is when i attended our councils silver beaver banguet. The first guy had a resumme a mile long and the second one hardly had done a third of the first. I couldnt beleive they were both on the stage equally honored. I would have thought COuncil would have been embarrassed that they didnt give the first guy his beaver 10 years ago.

But then as Scouter 659 says, it is for the boys, so i will continue to provide the boys in my troop and crew the best experiences i can.

By the way, after attending the beaver banquet i will never again question whether or not scouting is a paramilitary organization. Depsite protests to the contrary, i saw enough medals and ribbons and sashes on chests that would have made a latin american dictator drool.