• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistaken, I think most BSA pubs can already be ordered en Espanol. Not sure what all the hubbub is about. We are all in this business to help young people become responsible, ethical citizens. Does it really matter what language we do that in? It will benefit us all. If you are in a dark alley, would you rather encounter an Eagle Scout who speaks Spanish, or a thug who speaks only English? Es preparado!

I think Gilwell song in spanish would be a hoot.

But more to my line on Woodbadge, It stank in English so why torture others in another language.

GP1971.....Shame your a homophobic isolationist, Your missing out on a lot of really fantastic people..........I don't know what part of white suburban/rural america you live in but English is very close to not being the primary language anymore.......Official, but most of my scouts speak spanish, even the white kids. This comin from the big city.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

On a related note, does anyone know how, or if, other countries operate Woodbadge or equivalent courses? Are other countries more true to the original Scoutcraft course content, or has the swing towards management/organizational training been worldwide?

KC,

Ok I want to give this warning; I HAVE NOT GONE THROUGH ANY WB COURSE YET! ( caps for emphasis):)

Now that you've been warned, back in '95 I had the choice of doing 2 things: taking WB at Gilwell or WSJ with a Brit contingent. What made me decide to do jambo was I was informed by the camp's warden (ranger)that I was working for that Gilwell was experimenting with a more management style course that involved dorms, computers, etc. I remember making the comment, "...that aint real WB, I'll take it when I go back home."

Unfortunately I was not able to attend any of the old courses, and do not have the time to do the new course.

KC,

Canada runs a WB program. Don't know much about it but i do know that it is in 3 parts. Parts 1 and 2 are like our "This is scouting" and Leader Specific trainings for each position. Parts 1 & 2 are required within the first couple of months of being registered as a leader. Part 3 is truly optional. Scouts Canada is more outdoor based too. They require outdoor experiences for every level. No outdoors, no advancement. That's about all I can input.

"If you are in a dark alley, would you rather encounter an Eagle Scout who speaks Spanish, or a thug who speaks only English? Es preparado!"

"Es preparado?" Hmmm... maybe "estar" works better then "ser" here... I think they say "siempre listo" anyway. But, if we go with "est preparado," we should ask this about the hypothetical Scout in that scenario:

Est preparado para ser un ciudadano de qu pas? (is prepared to be a citizen of what country?) Because in the USA, "Be Prepared" ought to include being prepared to do it in English.

If a Scout or Scouter is a US citizen and does not learn English well enough to use it in Scouting, while they may be a wonderful person and a good neighbor, they may not be as good a US citizen as they ought to be. The oath has us state: "I will do my best to do my duty to God and MY COUNTRY." To become a naturalized citizen of the USA, one must take a citizenship test that includes an English test. If BSA wants to help non-English speaking US citizens become better citizens, perhaps it should offer them English lessons rather than scouting lessons in Spanish. But apparently this particular course is not geared just to US citizens anyway - there are Scouters from Mexico coming according to the OP.

Maybe BSA is going All-American. The "A" in BSA does stand for "America." And the countries in America include more than just the primarily English speaking places like the US and much of Canada. America also includes primarily Spanish speaking places ranging from Mexico down to Argentina, Portuguese in Brazil, and French in much of Canada and French Guyana (and more if you count the Islands around America).

Interesting though... "Boy Scouts of America" is a much more inclusive name (including all of America) than the more parochial and exclusive sounding "Scouts de Mexico." Are we in the EE.UU. more xenophilic or are we yanqui imperialists?

I read the "hate" post first and now this one. Is this the one that it was referring to?

Considering that the official language of the United States under the US Constitution is, hang on a minute let me look. Hold on still looking. Oh wait, somebody on this board is trying to change the Constitution to add an official language?

I'm just confused that at this modern age we are still fighting over whether somebody's language is inferior to English.

Get over it and work with the diversity that you learn so much about in Woodbadge.