Looking Forward to Wood Badge

Basementdweller,

From a few days ago:

"I am about two weeks from completing my ticket. I took the course 14 months ago.

I will NEVER recommend woodbadge and have already talked a couple of folks locally out of taking it."

From today:

"it is all about the beads isn't it.........."

To one who has said there's more bad about Scouts than good, I have to ask ... Why are you completing your ticket? Why do you care about getting those 50 cent beads that cost $300? Why haven't you left the program yet? I'm having a hard time understanding where you're headed in Scouting, and why. And yes, I know darn well it's none of my business, thank you. I just don't think that someone looking forward to Wood Badge needs to hear that your attitude is different than his. I hope he has a wonderful experience, finishes his ticket, and is proud to wear his beads.

Let's make this simple. What will your beads mean to you? What do you plan to do with them? Do you plan to accept them, or might their public presentation be your opportunity to make a bold statement about your love of Wood Badge and Scouting?

BDPT00

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Begin by thinking about your Ticket. Talk to other Wood Badgers for suggestions and ideals. This bit of prep work will save you a lot of frustion, and wasted time during the course. For myself, I would show up at the course with the Ticket ready to go....

I disagree. Those who come with a ticket in hand think they know what it's all about. They generally have no clue, and their minds aren't open to hear how a ticket should be created. I don't see that as a positive. A lot of times, district folks will approach them, and they'll end up with district tickets. Also not a good idea. I think they're being used. I'm serious. I think that when some people hear that so-and-so is signed up for Wood Badge, they think they've got some fresh meat to accomplish a few things that need being done in the district. Letting them know you might have some ideas for ticket items is fine. Other than that, I think they should be left alone until their first weekend is over. Then they should come looking for you if they need your ideas.

BDPT00

You would first have to get them signed up to be on district committee in the position the job is they want them to do before they went to woodbadge to con them into doing a job for district.. At least we are told we can not do something for an area you are not registered with..

That change between the year my husband took it, and I took it.. At that time each ticket was a seprate project all on its own.. My husband set one ticket to work with a district training and it was fine. I tried it the next year, and could not.. Neither of us were on the district training team. But then if we were, we couldn't have done something like that, because we were already doing it, and it had to be something that we were not already doing.

The WB ticket is a lot easier now, with one project and 5 steps to reach it.. But (at least in our council) it has to be to improve the unit (or whatever) that you are currently registered with and within the relm your position has control over.

I just tell people if you think the area within your relm of control has room for improvement, your ticket should come pretty naturally, and go to woodbadge to figure out how to define it.. If you think it is perfect and there is no need to improve it, you will have a difficult time with your ticket..

Ya know BDPT.... It is none of your business, but I care for my boys.

Each and everyone of them deserve a better lot than they have been dealt in life. Foster kids, orphans, single parent, divorce parents, absentee parents. We are finally getting a few traditional families coming in from other packs, but the majority are from single parent or grandparent homes.

My beef is with the adult long time scouters and the Pro's. I was forced to take woodbadge by the then district committee as a prerequisite for putting on Cub programs.....It was an artificial hurtle put in my way. I thought that I would help on the District Cub Activities committee.....the meeting was simply to put me on the spot for going out of district in pursuit of cub scout activities.

My district is horrible. Zero cub activities, Well established good old boys club, Very Money Driven District Executive......I am no longer dealing with them so it is all good.

Sure I am rough and gruff and don't have a lot of patience with political BS. I have tried to volunteer at district to improve the situation, I have worked with neighboring packs till I was told that we couldn't because there are no free events or multi Pack get togethers, by the DE.

No public presentation of beads......

Not sure if I will even call my ticket councilor to submit it. I will have completed my ticket, completed a number of projects, tasks that benefit my scouts. Ya know that is all that really matters. My ticket will be finished, in less than a week from now.

I don't need to prove anything to anyone regarding dedication to scouting.

Beads don't prove dedication....

Not sure how I feel about the beads, probably they are a symbol of exclusion and elitism that is contrary to scouting's aims.

Yah know...about 10 years ago, my wife, myself, and another couple wenmt to a seafood restaurant. It was called Wahoo Willies.

It was not your average grill that you would find on a fishing pier.

So we ordered some meals and one of the common sides was blackened beans. I as well as my wife got seasoned rice ( kinda like Zatarann's) and I had baked marinated grouper and my wife had ...well, I don't remember.

So after we left the restaurant, my wife and her friend commented about how awful the food was. TERRIBLE! YUCCKY POO!

They would tell all their friends not to eat there.

Me? I thought it was pretty good. Of course, I knew what blackened beans tasted like, I knew what the seasoned rice was going to be, and the grouper was cooked exactly the way baked and marinated grouper should.

Thing is, if you like that style of food, you would have liked it. If you don't like that style of food, you won't.

Then sometimes, you have a restaurant that could screw up a pot of boiled water.

Why should WB ( or anything else for that matter) be any different?

Yah know...about 10 years ago, my wife, myself, and another couple wenmt to a seafood restaurant. It was called Wahoo Willies.

So we ordered some meals and one of the common sides was blackened beans. I as well as my wife got seasoned rice ( kinda like Zatarann's) and I had baked marinated grouper and my wife had ...well, I don't remember.

So after we left the restaurant, my wife and her friend commented about how awful the food was. TERRIBLE! YUCCKY POO!

Me? I thought it was pretty good. Of course, I knew what blackened beans tasted like, I knew what the seasoned rice was going to be, and the grouper was cooked exactly the way baked and marinated grouper should.

Thing is, if you like that style of food, you would have liked it. If you don't like that style of food, you won't.

Then sometimes, you have a restaurant that could screw up a pot of boiled water.