• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BartHumphries, "Thanks, I'm looking up those activities in the G2SS now and no, it wasn't pointed out in the ASM/SM specific training that I went through."

Sure it was it was under the section where the trainers talked about resources that are available to the leaders. Its up to you as a leader to get the material and read it. Its also a requirement for a tour permit. Leaders sign the permit stating they have a copy of G2SS with them and that they are familiar with it. Which means you have at the least review the contents.

"I am assuming that the BSA does not have a problem with scouts running around waving flashlights at each other."

That's what I'm saying. As long as you're not "shooting guns at each other", then laser tag should be ok, right? Besides boxy lasers, "pen" ones like http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Pet-LED-Light-Laser-Pointer-Toy-Cat-Dog-Puppy-Kitten-/360314546543?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e46ba96f would seem to be ok too -- they can hardly be called "firearms".

Yes, you can do laser tag with "a square flashlight-type box that couldn't possibly be confused for a "firearm", as long as - per the Guide to Safe Scouting - "participants shoot at targets that are neither living nor human representations"...

ScoutNut, I'm not seeing that second sentence in the Guide to Safe Scouting at http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34416.pdf The pdf document tells me that the word "living" doesn't appear in the document anywhere. The word "human" only appears in the sentence "Although rabies in humans is rare in the United States..."

"As long as you're not "shooting guns at each other", then laser tag should be ok, right?"

This is tiresome.

Its NOT laser tag then.

Laser tag IS running around shooting 'laser guns' at each others, with harnesses on to know that you made a hit.

Its not an allowed scouting activity. I've been to a few laser tag places locally with work and another group I'm.

You want to play 'flashlight tag' or the like, go ahead, but laser tag is out.

G2SS: Pointing any type of firearm (including paintball, dye or lasers) at any individual is unauthorized.

The Boy Scouts of America thanks our 2010 National Scout Jamboree corporate sponsors for their support of Scouting - EMPIRE PAINTBALL, REMINGTON, one moment, one shot!

Got to love big business!

Its NOT laser tag then. Laser tag IS running around shooting 'laser guns' at each others, with harnesses on to know that you made a hit.

No, laser tag is playing tag with lasers instead of your hands. Look at the words "laser" "tag" -- tag with lasers. It doesn't necessarily have to involve "guns" (it usually does but it doesn't have to). Laser tag is tag but played from a distance instead of running up and smacking someone.

"No, laser tag is playing tag with lasers instead of your hands. Look at the words "laser" "tag" -- tag with lasers. It doesn't necessarily have to involve "guns" (it usually does but it doesn't have to). Laser tag is tag but played from a distance instead of running up and smacking someone."

I'll say this once: stop being an idiot.

Look it up yourself. Wikipedia has a decent article on it. Laser tag is played with people running around shooting "laser guns" at each other or targets. Its the shooting of others the BSA has an issue with, same as with paintball. If you ONLY use paintball to shot just targets, no problem. But that's not what people know and understand in regards to laser tag/paintball, but running around and shooting others.

I love Wikipedia -- I have almost 4k mainspace edits. It is not, however, the be-all end-all ultimate authority to turn to if one wishes a discussion arbitrated. It is a great starting point, though. As I've said, laser tag usually involves lasers made up to look like firearms but that's not necessarily true in all cases. I have personally seen and used laser tag sets with lasers which do not resemble firearms. I regret that I do not remember who manufactured them and that I do not have a reference or website ready to toss out, but I have seen and used them. What is the common factor is that participants wear some sort of harness which registers a successful tag when you're painted by a laser (whatever the physical housing for that laser might be crafted to look like).

For the slow folks again: G2SS: Pointing any type of firearm (including paintball, dye or lasers) at any individual is unauthorized.

So one should not point a laser at an individual in the BSA. Doesn't matter if the laser device looks like an AK-47, M 16, a ball point pen, a giant dildo, Barbies head with lasers shooting out her eyes or in the words of Mr. Powers, sharks with friggin laser beams - if the intent is to point them at individuals, the BSA states that it is not authorized.

Firearms may not be pointed at another person, even if those firearms are "fake" and "shoot" completely harmless "stuff", such as paintball guns, laser guns, etc. But there's nothing wrong with lasers in and of themselves and I don't see any reason why you couldn't use them to play tag, as long as they patently aren't "firearms".

Because our boys and girls will have opportunity soon enough to hurl photon's and other more substantial projectiles at determined enemies, there's no need to hasten the process.

In the meantime, they can use their hands to tag an opponent and capture their flag. Baden Powell's point was that THOSE were the skills (getting close to your opponent, learning his movements, his thoughts) a boy should be learning.

So, we focus on making sure the kids can handle arms day in and day out -- targeting, cleaning, building ... because we think and understanding of the mechanics of the thing is what better builds character.

Let the church youth group take the kids to laser tag. We don't need to be all things to all people.