Is Wood Badge just about "the beads"?

here is an alternative view:

To me Wood Badge is all about the beads. When I started attending Roundtables when my son first joined, I noticed in various discussions I could say something and it was as if my voice could not be heard. No one acknowledged what I said. Then, about 30 seconds later some guy with beads around his neck would say the same thing I did, and he was heralded as a genius. The message was clear, wear beads or be ignored. So, I got my beads and shazzam! When I spoke, people actually heard what I had to say, people other than in my unit knew my name, all because I wore beads. Then of course, fellow bead wearers would ask when I took Wood Badge, naively I would tell them, I was in the first Council session of the 21rst Century version and some oldtimers would grimace and turn away, I wasnt "their kind". Some Wood Badgers are all about the beads and what had to be done to earn them. This whole scouting nonsense is just peripheral dreck.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

Going back to the original topic of this thread.

Its nice to know someone else out there has the same mindset. Who could have seen that two little wooden beads on a leather bootlace could do so much good and yet cause so much controversy? Wood Badge is about so much more than the beads. I believe its about leadership, commitment, personal growth, heart connections and making an impact on Scouting.

Isnt that what NYLT is about as well?

Wally Hymel (BeaverIII)

Course Director SR-957

BeaverIII,

Only up to a point. I've done a fair bit of adult ed, and done a fair bit of work with kids now. I'm more an adult ed type; it's hard for me to suffer someone learning the same lessons I learned the hard way also learning them the hard way. I like my students much better when we've been through the school of hard knocks a time or two.

If National and the Councils have a problem recruiting staff for NYLT, they need to be revisiting the curriculum, the staff workload, and other matters to see what the gap is, if any.

In both the NYLT matter and the NESA lifetime member knot, National's solution has been: "Gee, let's give away a bauble incentive." That's bribery, imo.

I've staffed NYLT twice, am now part of the fall WB staff. I would have no objection to NYLT adult staff receiving a third bead if the level of commitment were the same, but it isn't. In my council, if you miss even one WB staff development it's frowned upon - two and you're off staff. You are also required to present the program directly to the participants - basically as a TG has to do in NYLT. That commitment just isn't there as an ASM or SM in NYLT. We basically help the youth staff (read: SPL) if a situation escalates and make sure we stay on schedule. Occasionally there's a problem with a youth staff member and we have to work on that. But if anybody deserves recognition, it's the youth staff at NYLT!! Never have I seen a group of youth do more just for the love of scouting.

Oh, to answer the question, it's not about the beads, but, like OGE's experience, the beads (in our council) are the ticket to having your voice heard - although the discrimination between old and new courses is fairly rare. Also, only those with WB are even considered for NYLT adult staff - and we're running four courses this summer.

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)(This message has been edited by Vicki)

• 3 months later...

The Beads...

Important, yes... however we must never forget they are a symbol of accomplishment, committment, etc... Without that they are just another trinket to buy on e-bay.

In Baden Powell's original course the beads were awarded to highlight the added training and committment. He was looking for something to award his class and chose the his Zulu beads... early participants were awarded 1 bead and required to carve #2 themselves.

Reaccomplishing the course... don't like it. But I am open minded to a means for a person to get another chance to earn their beads, maybe recurrency course and a complete new ticket.

Instead, a Nationally sanctioned recurrency/update short course would be a wonderful idea!

As an 20-year USAF navigator, I did not have to re-earn my wings because they restructured Nav-school (changes were much larger in scope than Woodbadge)... but I did have to stay current with the latest changes.

So why force a person to give up their hard-earned beads and retake the full program? Well, some other opportunities require (not just recommend) the new course... ie Jamboree Scoutmaster.

Be cautious that we don't push out Old Wisdom just to make way for New Ideas...

I attended CSTWB, but was forced to leave, because of work issues, before the practical course was over. I attended another CSTWB course a couple of months latter in a different region. On hindsight, I am glad that I attended two different courses. I was able to compare and contrast the traditions and presentation methods between the two courses, which broadened my knowledge base.

This ability to attend another course still exists today. As BeaverIII mentioned, the Wood Badge for the 21st Century Administrative Guide states who may attend Wood Badge. Namely: (1) a Scouter who has not earned his or her beads to attend or (2) a Scouter who earned his or her beads through one of the pre-WB21 courses to attend (p. 1)

We have had several Scouters want to attend Wood Badge, without writing a ticket, just for the leadership training. I have always told them, that they must write a ticket, since that is part of the program. I also told them that whether they actually completed that ticket or not was up to them. In every case (not counting the course that finished this last weekend), every one of them finished their tickets. One person had his regalia presentation this last weekend, more than a year after he finished his ticket.

It is during the ticket writing process that a participant evaluated his or her Scouting involvement, vision, mission, goals, etc.

As a side note: Our Council has never staffed a WB21 course with less than 50% new staff members.

Just before I recieved my beads so one made mention to me in an email about the much coveted Wood Badge beads. This was my response a couple years ago and it still holds true for me today.

"I never expected that Wood Badge was about wearing any symbol, square knot device, thong and beads, neckerchief or woggle. I considered the training about personal growth, the promotion of and dedication to the scouting movement. I am about to cross over six Webelos Scouts to Boy Scouts in about week. As I told them, their Arrow of Light award can be destroyed and the council building can burn to the ground with all the records of their accomplishments within it. Removing all physical proof of what they have done and it does not matter. What does matter is that they have worked hard and earned the highest award in Cub Scouting, The Arrow of Light. That they have learned the ways of Boy Scouting in the process. No one can ever take away what they have learned and accomplished. No one can take away the pride and integrity that comes with this accomplishment.

Scouting is not just about the symbols we wear on the outside but about the changes that are made on the inside. Wearing the symbols of our accomplishments communicates to others how to interact with us. To what level we have been trained and to what level we can be expected to perform. We should wear these symbols with pride and live up to all that they represent. I explained that it is important to realize that even when we are not wearing these symbols the expectations we place on ourselves should be the same. I feel this way about the Wood Badge training.

I certainly will wear my Beads with pride because of all they symbolize. You may have noticed that I am not in a hurry to receive my Beads. Others may covet them, they are a significant symbol but the beads themselves do not change me as a Scouter. They reflect who I am. I believe my day to day, week to week, year to year actions in scouting are a far better a representation of what I learned and achieved at Wood Badge training than the symbol of the leather thong and beads. Those who see me wear them, and know what they are, will recognize that I have a special commitment to scouting and that it took hard work and dedication for me to earn them.

The things I do in scouting that others can make use of also reflect my dedication and commitment to scouting as well. What those who see the beads will never understand, even if they take the course and get their own beads, is how I have been transformed for the better. They may mesh with their patrol the way Da' Bears have, which seems uncommon. They may fully grasp all five sides of the Wood Badge Pentagram. Will they come to have their understanding of the Scouting program confirmed and enhanced the way I have? I am not sure. I have talked to several of my fellow C-32-05 troop members from other patrols that got a lot from the training but did not get the boost I got.

To me Wood Badge was never about finishing the tickets to get the beads. I finished my tickets because it was a validation of what I learned during the training. To me the Wood Badge experience was a way of coming home, a way to learn how to better give back to the program that formed my core values and beliefs. Wood Badge is about becoming part of a brotherhood of dedicated Scouters who can deliver the scouting program better than anyone else. How I apply my training from here is what is important. If I have the opportunity to be a Wood Badge troop guide or even a Wood Badge course directory someday it will never be about the beads for me. It will be because it is the best way I can promote scouting."

As far as the topic goes, I think it all depends on the individual. Having spent most of the years of my life in the program in various youth and adult positions, commissioner, district and council positions, I have worked with a great many Wood Badgers. Many of them are extremely humble and see the WB experience as the mountain-top experience that it is supposed to be, but they treat everyone just the same. No special treatment or discrimination against non-wood badgers. However, there are also a group that have the "Wood Badge clique"-- the same group of people as staffers for the course year after year, associating only with one another, etc. The new course, I think, brought great opportunities to bust up some of the WB clique, at least as far as the staff goes. Wood Badge is a great experience, but it is just one of many wonderful experiences that scouting has to offer . . . it is not an opportunity for greater recognition, but rather an opportunity for greater service to the program and the youth.

If Wood Badge is just about the beads, then someone missed the point totally!!!!!

As many have stated, it is about the journey, the personal journey, you embark on when you take Wood Badge. And it is the journey never stops. Not when you get your beads, not when your are selected to serve on staff nor when you are fortunate enough to selected Course Director/ Scoutmaster. The journey will continue the rest of your life.

The beads are just the small symbol of that personal commitment you make to yourself and to the Scouting movement in general.

I have had the great fortune to have taken both the old Cub Trainer and Boy Scout Wood Badge courses. What I learned was invaluable in my personal, professional and Scouting lives. I still use those great lessons because they are now a part of who I am.

And it has been enhanced by the 21st Century WB course. I have served on 5 course and been the course director for one. And again, I grew and learned all that much more. For a day should never pass when you don't learn one new thing!

The friends I have made because of those "two tiny beads on a leather thong" have given me more than I ever imagined. I have friendships of over 20 years because of those beads. We have celebrated births, weddings, high school and college graduations and weddings together. We have cried when one has lost a child or a spouse all to soon in this life. These are bonds/ friendships I will take to my grave and I am grateful for every day I can call these Scouters my friends.

So is it just about the beads - NO WAY!!!!!!!

It's about this life we live to the fullest and hopefully for the best of all the lives we touch in some small way.

"And a good old Beaver too!" - NECS-37

"And a good old Buffalo too!" - NE-II-90

• 7 months later...

Just to clarify -- 21st Century WB is NOT a requirment to be a Jambo Scoutmaster - "be Wood Badge Trained" is the qualification. Those who have NOT TAKEN Wood Badge (ever)and are Jambo SMs need to take Wood Badge.

To the gentleman who felt he was not heard until he wore the beads. Perhaps what changed was not your regalia - perhaps it was you. Confidence, Leadership skill, communication skills...etc from the course - which is what I hope you took away from it.

The answer is that WB is absolutely, positively not about the beads.

Having said that, I like the rustic look of the beads - but if I lost them today, never to be replaced, no big deal.

It's what I have learned and try to do that is important.